iPad 4 Jailbreak is Illegal in USA

For those of you who are waiting for the untethered jailbreak for iOS 6, you might want to keep on reading because we have some interesting news for you. New rulings from the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) may apparently be the reason why it has taken so long for anyone to release a jailbreak for iPhone 5.

Others have assumed that iOS hackers planned to wait until the release of the iOS 6.0.1 or 6.1 until they go and introduce the jailbreak to the public. Yes, this may still be happening in the future until it becomes illegal which may happen in the future. This is because jailbreaking an iPad 4 has already been deemed illegal by DMCA because of new copyright rulings. This kind of speculation has been agreed upon by Musclenerd, a famous iOS hacker. The hacker hinted through his Twitter account that DMCA is in the process of ensuring that iPad jailbreaking won?t be legal anymore so that Apple will have a field day in charging for legal damages.

Meanwhile, users will not be able to have their phones unlocked after January of 2013 because it will already be considered illegal. Currently, some users are already planning to get the iOS 6 jailbreak for their iPhones as soon as it get publicized on the fear of getting it hammered by DMCA?s new ruling. Unfortunately, the ETA for iOS 6?s untethered JB is still missing based on the latest tweets from the iphone-dev team.

On the other hand, we are never really sure what may happen in the future. As of now, there are some of us who are praying so hard that jailbreaking remain legal but recent actions of those who are in power seem to point otherwise.

SOURCE: https://s3.amazonaws.../2012-26308.pdf

It's your device, do what you want with it.

So since I bought my car I should be able to run red lights and stop signs and occasionally run people over. Who cares about laws, I paid for the car so I can do what I want with it.

So since I bought my car I should be able to run red lights and stop signs and occasionally run people over. Who cares about laws, I paid for the car so I can do what I want with it.

Yes, because every time you jail break your iPad 4 god kills a kitten.

No, this would be like you wanting to drop in a new engine or change your sound system. Your analogy is more like someone hacking someone else's computer.

It that what Hotz (sp?) thought about his ps3 jailbreak?

I completely agree, I paid for it it's mine. Unless I signed some crazy rental or lease agreement. You got my money, I got your device. Are you going to use my money ONLY as I see fit?

Don't even try and compare the two...

Yes, because every time you jail break your iPad 4 god kills a kitten.

Just one?

• Like 1

Emoticon-Facepalm.gif

Sometimes I think we need a down-vote system here.

That is nothing alike.

If I spend my money on a device, I will do with it what I please. If you make it illegal, I will not buy your device. Please, Apple, keep stabbing yourself in the foot 'til you can no longer walk, I don't like you anyway.

Others have assumed that iOS hackers planned to wait until the release of the iOS 6.0.1 or 6.1 until they go and introduce the jailbreak to the public. Yes, this may still be happening in the future until it becomes illegal which may happen in the future. This is because jailbreaking an iPad 4 has already been deemed illegal by DMCA because of new copyright rulings.

Like that's going to stop anyone.

how the hell do you lump jailbreaking a phone with physically putting peoples' lives in danger? :s

wrong comparison.... it's like not being able to upgrade the stereo system and mod the engine and stuff....

I wish that's how it works. We may be able to purchase hard drives and flash drives, but current laws dictate that we technically do not own them. We are not allowed to configure the bits in copyrighted patterns unless authorized to do so. Private property rights are pretty much non-existent in modern society.

not the same but you should be able to tweak the engine, change the tires and put better parts or software in the car.

Tsch. I know a good amount of users that do jailbreak their iOS devices, and I believe they'll be kind of disappointed to hear this news. I know this won't stop from Jailbreaking them but this will dwindle the amount of hacks craved to the devices. Which makes me sad :(. I thought on buying a new iPod (on the next year or 2... when I have enough $$$) to replace my 2G, but not jailbreaking it is the same as saying goodbye to Activator, RemoveBG, Backgrounder, MXTube, iFile, custom themes, MXTube, Black Keyboard, SB Rotator, SBSettings, and much more.... Which makes (at least for me) iOS very attractive and useful.

It seems to me that legally, you are correct. However, it doesn't apply to the person who releases the jailbreak... they are the ones subject to the DMCA and will receive the DMCA takedown notice.

I wish that's how it works. We may be able to purchase hard drives and flash drives, but current laws dictate that we technically do not own them. We are not allowed to configure the bits in copyrighted patterns unless authorized to do so. Private property rights are pretty much non-existent in modern society.

No, you can configure the bits in copyrighted patterns all you want. You can't distribute those copyrighted patterns or modified copyrighted patterns.

You suck at analogies.

Anyway, if you do get jailed for jail-breaking, just break out of jail.....

• Like 2