Photo

iPad 4 Jailbreak is Illegal in USA

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:52

It's your device, do what you want with it.

you own the device, not the software.. if you owned the software, why don't you make an mp3 player and sell them with IOS running them all? they license it to you (free of charge) upon acceptance of certain conditions, ie: modifying, repackaging, branding etc. This isn't even unique to apple, they are just the favorite company for Generation Y to hate at the moment.

#47 Manarift

Manarift

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:57

Basically the DMCA thing wants to protect the copy protection systems built into devices computers and or services that use them from bypass or modding of them.

#48 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:27

What I just don't get is why people even bother JB'ing, IT VOIDS YOUR WARRENTY.

Well, you do at your own risk but I had no problems with Apple claiming warranty replacement on an iPad 2 that had been jailbroken before. They even did a scan of it and it didn't come up. They were mostly interested in if I had ever replaced the glass on the screen, and were looking that over under a black light (kind of had me intrigued as to what they were looking for).

Anyway, so long as you restore to their firmware you should be ok and not have to fear an Apple "Genius" calling you out.

In some rare circumstance where you brick your device and are unable to restore the firmware the burden of proof is on them to show that you were messing with it or trying to hack it.

There may be a day when Apple may just flag your account for JBing activity. It is possible for apps such as the DirecTV app to detect that it is on a JB iPad and then refuse to work. It really wouldn't be difficult for Apple to implement similar functionality into App Store (refuse to work) and then flag your account for JB activity. I hope it never gets that extreme... but if we are back at "this is illegal to do on this hardware" then it might be enough for Apple to implement that kind of functionality into iOS.

#49 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:34

to jailbreak is almost the equivalent in android as to unlock the bootloader... and for doing that motorola helped me :D

#50 Yearout

Yearout

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:44

Hey guys/gals..

WOW some have just taken this to la la land (steve martin "can we come back from la la land). Look up just whats "illegal" it will blow your mind. Each state alone has some woppers. Now me I bought the thing I could careless what someone says I can do with it. LIke some one said.. I all so use it to get themes and apps that only work on JB. And just what are you JB? The OS. We do the same kind of things to Windows, OS X and so on. Its not the JB that will ever get anyone in trouble. Its what a few do with it and 90% dont have a clue. But its like that with everything.

I went to best buy to return something and they wanted my Driver license. I asked why? They said some..just a tiny few were using Bestbuy as a rental place, returning every 28 days.

Anyway most have taken this WAY out of whack. Trust me here and I am NOT trying to hurt anyone ok? Ok.. the INTERNET does not have all the answers.. its not all truth.. sorry. :)

HEY! HAPPY NEW YEARS GUYS! Be safe...

#51 Navan

Navan

Neowinian

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:27

We now live in an age where a simple series of mouse clicks is all that stands between you and incarceration.

I can see this becoming a famous quote 100 years from now.

#52 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:31

so if modifying the software on an iphone is illegal, then erasing the phone, or "formatting" it would be destruction of property, and would be illegal also.

correct?

#53 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:35

The land of the free and home of the brave.