Photo

Windows Phone 8. Like it? Buying it?

poll windows phone 8

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows Phone

Like it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Buying it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which device you like the most?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:54

The apps thing is really getting confusing for both the developers, and the consumers.

Consumers, wouldn't buy the phone beacuse apps are not being developed.
Developers won't make new apps, because platform isn't selling.

I hope this condition gets addressed real soon, by both the consumers and developers

#122 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 03 December 2012 - 16:28

They've had two years and there has hardly been any movement on the developer side. This do over they've done only makes that pill harder to swallow.

So even if they get a fair amount of Win8 developers, how many will want to take the extra time to optimize it for WP8 given their track record so far? Doesn't that still circle back to the issue that not developing because of 'marketshare' is just a cop out by lazy companies.

#123 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:45

Getting frustrated. My wireless dock shipped out the other day, and is supposed to be arriving today. That part is fine. What is not fine is they double charged me for the dock, and they are saying they don't see it on their end but it is clearly on my bank statement, the same price as the dock. Having to run circles around these people to get my money back. So frustrating.

Why does AT&T make everything a pain in the arse?

#124 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:02

+Perfect72, how many days has it been since the charge? It could be that they made an error, maybe give it a few days to clear, usually 3 business days. I work retail and have seen this happen before

#125 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:13

+Perfect72, how many days has it been since the charge? It could be that they made an error, maybe give it a few days to clear, usually 3 business days. I work retail and have seen this happen before

I was charged on November 30th. I originally "paid" for it and the phone on November 20th. The wireless charger comes free with the phone. When I upgraded I had to swipe my card twice, once for $52.xx and another for $54.32 to add up to $106.99, which shows up on my statement. Then the November 30th charge was for, $54.32, the same charge for the wireless dock at the store. (They had to split it up to equal 106.99.)

I would normally think that, if it was a PRE-AUTH, but it is not, and was fully charged.

#126 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:26

Id give it a full 3 business days and see if it goes away, *most* of the time thats the case if its a pre-auth, and att is probably correct that they can't see it on their end, same think has happened with me at the store. If it doesn't go away either call the bank to have it reversed or take the statement over to where you purchased.

#127 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:01

You quoted me but I'm not exactly sure what your argument is? That people who know better shouldn't accept or recommend unfinished products that don't work to a degree of being more frustrating that usable? When alternatives are available?

Or that some people don't like the direction Microsoft is going in? They are two different things.

I personally like Windows 8/RT but think it's criminal the state the whole Windows 8 ecosystem has been released in. And most general "Best Buy" type consumers don't know any better. I absolutely do not recommend general consumers upgrade. They will get Windows 8 with a new PC and I'm not sure I would go so far as to recommend a downgrade. But upgrade for what? A headache, let Microsoft actually fix the thing and all the core apps and services.

The State Windows 8 is in "right" now, I have no problem saying @$^$ Microsoft, because everyetime I can't click a link in a metro app and launch a browser, a metro app quits, or I try to do anything with Xbox music, or try to sync my Windows 8 Phone (Lumia 920) I feel like Microsoft said @#%$ me. Well no, @##% you (Microsoft)!

Music, Video and Photos app on Windows 8 are truly horrible. They haven't improved in places where they need to be. Just a big mess.

Really want to go Windows Phone but the apps aren't their (particularly for my Bank) and there isn't a device with enough storage (I need at least 64GB).

Windows Phone is worth the trouble of changing your bank
:p

#128 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 04 December 2012 - 19:13

Music, Video and Photos app on Windows 8 are truly horrible. They haven't improved in places where they need to be. Just a big mess.

Haven't improved?! I don't need improvement. They're not even as good as what Windows 7 has to offer. On second thought, that's not true. Windows Media Player in Windows 8 is as good as Windows 7's Windows Media Player. :)

#129 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 04 December 2012 - 22:34

Windows Phone is worth the trouble of changing your bank

As far as I know, not a single bank in the UK offers a Windows Phone app... they all pretty much do for iOS and Android, some for Blackberry.

#130 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 December 2012 - 22:37

Haven't improved?! I don't need improvement. They're not even as good as what Windows 7 has to offer. On second thought, that's not true. Windows Media Player in Windows 8 is as good as Windows 7's Windows Media Player. :)

well I mean they haven't improved much since RTM. These are apps and they should be updating them rapidly to catch up with WMP/Zune.

#131 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 04 December 2012 - 22:57

well I mean they haven't improved much since RTM. These are apps and they should be updating them rapidly to catch up with WMP/Zune.

I'll believe it when I see it. If they're still in the current shape after Christmas, it's probably not going to get any better.

As far as I know, not a single bank in the UK offers a Windows Phone app... they all pretty much do for iOS and Android, some for Blackberry.

You're not alone. I'm still waiting for US IngDirect and USBank. Both of which have apps for Android.

#132 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:02

I'll be getting 620, when it hits the market.

Yaaaay

#133 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 09 December 2012 - 23:52

I heard the 620 might not be coming to the US. It could be a EU, Asia and so on only model. If true I guess it seems that Nokia thinks the US just wants bigger 4.3+ screen devices and not something small like the 620 with it's 3.8"' screen. Actually I think this could be exactly it since even HTC isn't going to release their own low end 8S in the US either.

#134 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:43

620 and the likes will mainly be aimed at Asian markets, to gain momentum for the platform. Which is great in my opinion, because these markets need these kind of phones before the likes of 920.

I can't wait :woot:

#135 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:19

Well Im hooked, I just got the Lumia 810 from T-Mobile. This is my first smart phone and its everything I need, easy to customize and very streamlined. App wise, there are only a few I am waiting for, but whats great is that I really don't need to download many. This phone is a little bigger than the iPhone 5, but its also incredibly light.