Just got my system76 laptop :)

My old laptop was giving me performance issues, had stuck keys on the keyboard and a few other issues. I was also sick of having to work around compatibility issues (the elantech touchpad and suspend/resume always gave me some problems), so I was looking into getting a new laptop. This time I wanted to get something I knew would work perfectly in linux, particularly ubuntu.

Finally got delivered yesterday, its pretty nice. 14.1 inch lemur ultra with i5-3210, 8gb ram and a hybrid hdd. Definitely the best linux experience I've ever had compatibility-wise, everything works perfectly out of the box.

I do wish there was a higher screen resolution available, but unity works well on the 720p screen. The battery life could also be better, only about 3.5-4 hours.

The performance and compatibility were the main draws for me though, and the machine delivers in spades there. Ubuntu/unity was extremely sluggish on my old laptop (intel i5-460m, 4gb ram, 640gb 5400rpm hdd). The dash was often slow/laggy to the point of being unusable, the intel ironlake graphics just couldn't handle it, the on a cold boot the whole system was always very unresponsive until it was used for a while due to the slow hdd. With this computer ubuntu just flies, it almost feels like a whole new OS. Boots in about 12 seconds to lightdm, and logs in almost instantly. Dash is always super responsive, no more laginess caused by the dash blur thanks to the ivybridge graphics. Its such a joy using unity on this machine compared to any of my past experiences.

Build quality is nothing exceptional, but seems pretty solid. Has a nice understated grey look. I quite like the touchpad that is completely integrated with the chassis. Its no ultrabook, but its pretty light/portable at 4.5 lbs.

post-159052-0-70891300-1351619163.jpg

post-159052-0-01301300-1351619170.jpg

<snip>

Finally got delivered yesterday, its pretty nice. 14.1 inch lemur ultra with i5-3210, 8gb ram and a hybrid hdd. Definitely the best linux experience I've ever had compatibility-wise, everything works perfectly out of the box.

<snip>

Sorry for the double post--

How much did a setup like that $$??

and product link

Got the product link?

I have heard of 76 but the other question...

HOW MUCH DID IT SET YOU BACK?

Base price was $659, I upgraded to the hybrid hdd, upgraded wireless/bluetooth, and 8gb ram for total of $773. Also got the 2 year warranty for an extra $100. Seemed like a fairly priced machine to me.

https://www.system76...ops/model/lemu4

I was thinking about getting one of these at some point and just throwing Kubuntu on it. (Kubuntu is a supported Distro, right?) Any way, enjoy your new laptop!!!!

afiak all the "official" ubuntu derivatives are supported (which is kubuntu and xubuntu atm).

Still can't believe how much faster ivybridge is than my previous intel arrandale/ironlake laptop. Doing something simple like dragging an item from the dash to launcher, or opening the dash while there was a video playing would cause everything to lag. If I tried to run any screen recording software it was pretty much unusable too. With this machine I can run a screen recorder, watch a flash video, and multi-task with no lag :)

Nice buy. :)

I have Ubuntu 12.04 (didn't bother updating yet) on my Acer Aspire laptop. (specs in sig link)

Seems to work quite well with it, too. Even with the second gen Intel i3 2310m and Intel HD3000 graphics.

I purchased a panp9 back in May and I've been extremely pleased with it. It's a spectacular laptop and compatibility with Linux is nothing short of awesome. Congratulations on joining the club!