New Samsung Ultrabook with Windows 8

So i just got me a 13" Samsung Ultrabook. I want to do a fresh install of Windows 8, any ideas on where my CDKEY is?? Used to be CD Key on the bottom.

Sometimes it's placed on the power adapter. Sometimes there's a little flap you can lift up. It really depends. Look at your manual.

Yea check everywhere. mmmm maybe i need to contact samsung.

You're not really supposed to fully reinstall Windows, you can use the "refresh my PC" thingy.

Microsoft has a completely new OEM installation type since Windows 8 that makes it a lot harder to pirate Windows. With Windows 7 all laptops of the same type shared an embedded license in the BIOS that could be validated with the right certificate file. With Windows 8 now every machine has a unique identifier.

You could try if ABR still works on Windows 8. It's a tool that backs up the license information on the software side: http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

It worked brilliantly in 7 and will still only work on your own laptop since the license info is linked to the BIOS, but I'm not sure if Microsoft's changes in 8 broke the tool. Could be worth a shot.

You're not really supposed to fully reinstall Windows, you can use the "refresh my PC" thingy.

Microsoft has a completely new OEM installation type since Windows 8 that makes it a lot harder to pirate Windows. With Windows 7 all laptops of the same type shared an embedded license in the BIOS that could be validated with the right certificate file. With Windows 8 now every machine has a unique identifier.

You could try if ABR still works on Windows 8. It's a tool that backs up the license information on the software side: http://directedge.us...kup-and-restore

It worked brilliantly in 7 and will still only work on your own laptop since the license info is linked to the BIOS, but I'm not sure if Microsoft's changes in 8 broke the tool. Could be worth a shot.

thanks for that! yea i want to upgrade the HD to SSD!

what? It is completely legal to re-install a fresh copy using OEM key. :huh: Refresh my PC won't help if Samsung has saved the last state.

• 1 month later...

• Grab a retail ISO that matches your version that was installed by your OEM (Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro)
  • Use Windows 7 Store USB tool to create a bootable 4GB+ USB stick
  • Use the bypass product key request during install fix (Google/Bing for Windows 8 create ei.cfg)
  • Add your ei.cfg into sources dir on the USB stick
  • Boot off of USB stick
  • Proceed to fresh install
  • After installation connect to the internet and run Windows Updates
  • Fingers crossed, your EFI firmware should activate your copy of Windows 8

Had the same issue! On boot press F4 you should get into a a recovery option. Plug your SSD into a usb 2 sata port and then you can copy the HD onto SSD drive. BACKUP everything,