win8

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 October 2012 - 16:04

Try installing the newer video drivers and see if it makes it any better.

#17 OP WinMunkee

WinMunkee

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2012 - 16:05

I will when I get home. I'll try the BETA driver, if that doesn't work, I'll use the Windows 7 Driver and post my results. I'm sure this could be useful to anyone in the future if it works.

#18 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

Posted 31 October 2012 - 16:12

I installed the beta driver and it is MUCH better than the current live driver.

#19 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2012 - 16:15

I totally can understand frustration. I have an odd issue with my laptop and phone.

On my desktop or any normal MicroUSB wall charger I can use the phone normally.

When plugged into the laptop however the capacitive buttons become less responsive. The rest if the screen works fine, but the bottom buttons take several tries sometimes

Everything else behaves when plugged in. So who would have thought the USB port on a laptop would affect the capacitive buttons on a phone.

That's an example of weird ways something seemingly unrelated can affect things. :)

#20 NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks

King-ding-A-Ling

Posted 31 October 2012 - 16:20

I'll try the beta drivers for NVIDIA again. I was using them earlier, but they caused this terrible flickering in Neverwinter Nights. The latest GA driver doesn't do that for me. But, if it keeps me from having a period lag spike every 15 seconds or so in TF2, it's worth it.

#21 OP WinMunkee

WinMunkee

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2012 - 16:21

Please post your results!

#22 OP WinMunkee

WinMunkee

Neowinian

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:22

The BETA Video drivers did not fix the issue. I'm going to try Windows 7 Drivers next.

#23 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:25

Definitely video related, try running chkdsk and defrag and you should notice an improvement.

#24 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:29

This might help:
http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=1356551 (look at the registry settings in yellow in post #2)

#25 OP WinMunkee

WinMunkee

Neowinian

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:57

Didn't work, although mine was set to a, and not 10.

#26 +da00

da00

Kappa

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:06

Didn't work, although mine was set to a, and not 10.

a is hex for 10.

#27 OP WinMunkee

WinMunkee

Neowinian

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:05

All this lovely advice has seemed to slowly kill whatever internet connection I had to begin with and has now wiped out my downstream. Time to clean install again.

#28 sathenzar

sathenzar

Neowinian

Posted 01 November 2012 - 13:35

And no more comments at all have appeared lol. I hope you work out whatever it is, best of luck.

#29 OP WinMunkee

WinMunkee

Neowinian

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:49

I'll keep updating with things I've tried. I really think it's something involving the network setup in Windows. It's the only PC that has issues in my house. That Leattrix crap totally made it worse. I don't recommend that disastrous program to anyone.

My next step is to reinstall Windows 8, and try it again.

#30 NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks

King-ding-A-Ling

Posted 01 November 2012 - 17:33

Alright, so before going to the Nvidia beta driver, since I played NWN too much, I stuck it out. However, today, while using Goto Meeting, I noticed that the video and audio would stutter, or just stop periodically, just like TF2.

So, I went on Speedtest.net and did a few tests. Like every other test that I ran, the speed would be fast, and then all of sudden drop to 0, on both downloads and uploads. I ran a test on my iMac that is right next to my laptop and on the same network, and it was fast without missing a beat.

So, then I started looking at my wifi driver. I'm using a Broadcom 802.11n driver, published by Microsoft for Windows 8. Now, I know I didn't have these problems when on Windows 7. So I loaded up my Win 7 x64 driver (which looks to be the latest driver published by Broadcom, themselves), and these problems went away for me.

So, that was it for me. Try checking your network adaptor drivers, because the ones that were loaded with the install didn't work out for me.