27 posts in this topic

Posted

[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Times,]I'm not sure that our society would be able to survive without caffeine. How many of us need[/font][/color][i]at least[/i][color=#000000][font=Georgia, Times,] one cup of coffee in the morning before we can function at a level even [/font][/color][i]approaching[/i][color=#000000][font=Georgia, Times,]'human'? However, is the drug a hidden killer, just waiting for us to down that next latte or energy drink to pounce?[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Times,]Just last week, [/font][/color][url="http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-probes-deaths-links-monster-energy-drink-003651730--sector.html"]a lawsuit was filed[/url][color=#000000][font=Georgia, Times,] against Monster Beverage Corp that claims their energy drink caused the death of a 14-year old Maryland girl. It seems that she had a preexisting medical condition known as [/font][/color][url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002439/"]Ehlers-Danlos syndrome[/url][color=#000000][font=Georgia, Times,], which is a group of genetic disorders related to problems with collagen, that cause loose joints, hyper-elastic skin, and

Posted

Anything can kill you in high enough quantities - even water. The reality is that the amount of coffee it would take to kill you is far beyond what is reasonable to consume. A person would have to go out of their way - or have an underlying condition - to be at risk of death.
2 people like this

Posted

No concern here as I don't drink coffee :)
3 people like this

Posted

As someone addicted to coffee, I can scientifically report that zero is the correct answer.
3 people like this

Posted

Not getting my morning coffee is just as lethal. (To other people.)
1 person likes this

Posted

My morning must-have is hot sauce (or hot salsa) on my eggs & hash browns and 2 cups of green tea.
1 person likes this

Posted

For once I'm with DocM
No coffee at all for me, but I do like my hot sauce in the morning, and for the rest of the day

Posted

Hot sauce in the morning? What the? How do you guys do that? I love spicy food, but I don't think I could eat it first thing in the morning.

As for me, I usually drink 1-2 cups of coffee per day, down from 2-3 cups per day. But, I also have 1 can of soda, and tea at night. Just drink in moderation, and you'll be fine.

Posted

Hot sauce + eggs = win.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Stoffel' timestamp='1351704240' post='595287591']
......I do like my hot sauce in the morning, and for the rest of the day[/quote]

I make my own hot sauces & salsa using habaneros or, for a real kick in the butt, bhut jalokia's :ninja:.

Every meal, every day, and studies show hot peppers are good for your cardiovascular system.
1 person likes this

Posted

Not a big coffee drinker :coffee:

Posted

Challenge accepted.
:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
2 people like this

Posted

No coffee here but i need a pop or 2 before i start the day(preferably pepsi)

Posted

only one cup if you swallow it wrong.
1 person likes this

Posted

hmm, i consume way too much caffeine, get up with a filter coffee, have 4 or 5 cups through the day of fresh filter coffee, and consume fresh self ground coffee beans in the evening at home (3 or 4 mugs), weekends throw in a few cans of energy drinks for gaming giggles.

and how much can kill, id say enough to fill a vessel thats taller than I am no? Drowning by coffee mmmm would be buzzy at least :p

I love caffeine, but i dont worry itll kill me, my smoking will do that first probs :p

Posted

I never smoked - ever - anything. Didn't see the sense of putting rolled up leaves in my mouth & setting fire to them, especially if they contained a chemical we once used as a liquidinsecticide (nicotine.)

Tobacco also contains Polonium-210, a radioisotope that is known to cause lunc cancer when inhaled. The tobacco plant picks it up from the mined phosphate fertilizers used for growing them Phosphate deposits are often found in proximity to uranium & its decay products.

Posted

[quote name='DocM' timestamp='1351703957' post='595287581']
My morning must-have is hot sauce (or hot salsa) on my eggs & hash browns and 2 cups of green tea.
[/quote]

oooo a breakfast curry ... do love a curry nom ... im hungry DAMN YOUUU also I have trouble sleeping without a decent amount of caffeine O.o

Posted

Find out the lethal dosage for caffeine (mg/kg of body weight, or along those lines), find the amount of caffeine for a given brand of coffee per cup, and do the math.

Posted

[quote name='Spartan Erik' timestamp='1352048979' post='595296223']
Find out the lethal dosage for caffeine (mg/kg of body weight, or along those lines), find the amount of caffeine for a given brand of coffee per cup, and do the math.
[/quote]

you would most likely die from a heart attack due to the amount of caffeine. it wont be a pleasant death.

Posted

[quote name='xSuRgEx' timestamp='1352049464' post='595296249']
you would most likely die from a heart attack due to the amount of caffeine. it wont be a pleasant death.
[/quote]

I know, I'm just answering the OP's question haha

Posted

I think we worked this out at work. Was a while ago and the numbers are probably a bit hazy, but you'd need to hit something like [b]eighty [/b]espressos in a half hour period to kill you. Reality of it is that you'd be unable to actually drink that much coffee no matter how hard you tried, and would likely start vomiting long before that amount.

Posted

You can die from drinking too much water, I would imagine you would become sick from water before caffeine if you tried to OD on caffeine with normal cups of coffee

Posted

Good thing I don't drink coffee in the morning.

Posted

Coffee is even worse than the deadly marijuana.

Posted

I drink one of these every morning before work:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipovitan"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipovitan[/url]