Programmers and end users

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

- Rich Cook

• Like 3

Nah, isn't anymore. Software engineering these days has taken over the idiot production, too (Android & Win 8 app stores *cough*).

you should send that to war and ask him to post it as a joke

I recently had a customer who was greatly dissatisfied with the solution we have provided. Following some investigation it turned out that:
  • Some users had popup blockers which prevented the web app from displaying modal dialogs
  • A large number of them were running Windows XP and haven't received the GeoTrust root CA Certificate via Windows Update

Um what? Those two are your problem: You should have provided a correct solution and/or workaround for those popups and if "a large numer of them were running Windows XP" you should, like it or not, make the solution compatible with XP, because he is the one that is paying.

What company do you work for? So I know never to ask (and pay) for a solution from you guys

• 3 weeks later...

Um what? Those two are your problem: You should have provided a correct solution and/or workaround for those popups and if "a large numer of them were running Windows XP" you should, like it or not, make the solution compatible with XP, because he is the one that is paying.

What company do you work for? So I know never to ask (and pay) for a solution from you guys

1 - You expect a software developer to write software to circumnavigate popup blockers? That's BS. Users will be users, some were probably using unsupported browsers, or 3rd party popup blockers.

2 - I'm sure Riva's s/w had a pre-requisite listed in the user release notes stating that SP3 should be installed, and the relevant KB applied...

Not that I know what company Riva works for, or have any affiliation with him... just you're talking out of your backside :)