Photo

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• Phone: Android

Posted 31 October 2012 - 23:39

Sorry if this has been asked before, I don't have time to search for it. Could someone suggest a working program for this. Thank you.

I tried a few free off of Cnet, by googling. But many are shareware really. They want you to buy to have the function, which I don't know if it works or not. I managed to convert one of my laptops but haven't gotten the other to convert. suggestions would help.

#2 OP *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

Posted 01 November 2012 - 00:44

Ok again I'm looking for Conversion Software / partition software to convert from Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk without losing data.

#3 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 November 2012 - 00:45

It would be difficult to do, and even if you find a tool, who knows if it will do a good job. Better off just manually rebuilding... Back up on a file level, format, reinstall the OS/Apps, restore the files.

#4 OP *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

Posted 01 November 2012 - 00:56

It would be difficult to do, and even if you find a tool, who knows if it will do a good job. Better off just manually rebuilding... Back up on a file level, format, reinstall the OS/Apps, restore the files.

as I stated I did it with partition wizard on one laptop but won't work on the other for some reason

#5 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:38

Testdisk can do it. Honestly I don't remember specifically how anymore.

#6 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:46

as I stated I did it with partition wizard on one laptop but won't work on the other for some reason

The reason is that something is probably wrong. I would do what Simon- suggested.

Have you looked at: http://www.partition...om/personal.htm (Easus Partition Manager Home Edition)

#7 OP *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:36

The reason is that something is probably wrong. I would do what Simon- suggested.

Have you looked at: http://www.partition...om/personal.htm (Easus Partition Manager Home Edition)

Yeah but it doesn't do conversion without purchase. I don't want to purchase and then it not be able to do what I want. I had this same problem before on my other laptop that I recently converted. Strange.

#8 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 November 2012 - 14:11

What I learned from when I did this is not to mess with dynamic disks unless you absolutely need to.

They can be a gigantic pain in the ass. :/

(You probably noticed, but hey.)

#9 OP *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:05

oK, Yes I tried one program to fix things and now it's not bootable. Anyone know of a good free data recovery program? I'm just going to recover data and reinstall Windows.

#10 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:12

oK, Yes I tried one program to fix things and now it's not bootable. Anyone know of a good free data recovery program? I'm just going to recover data and reinstall Windows.

recuva - always worked great for me!

#11 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:24

Testdisk/PhotoRec or Recuva

Odd that is asks you to pay, because it specifically states it'll do it in the free version.

#12 OP *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:53

Yeah I found several "free" programs that have limited functions, they allude they can convert but attempt to get you to pay if you want that feature.

#13 bodmas

bodmas

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:04

please boot your system with "Hiren's Boot CD" and select for "run mini xp". it will allow you to explore your hard disk and allow you to copy your data to other storage device. Hiren Boot CD is free.
Download:
http://hbcd.hnsdc.co...BootCD.15.1.zip

for how to burn it please read here:
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/burning/

#14 marshallz

marshallz

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:00

I have done this successfully in the past. It doesn't require conversion. You need to change the partition type ID (cannot remember what it is from the top of my head) to NTFS (which I am assuming that you are using. I believe the ID for NTFS is 07.

I have had success in doing this using CFDISK and FDISK on SystemRescueCD.

#15 stumper66

stumper66

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:20

Boot to your windows install cd. Once at the first screen, press shift+f10. Now you'll be at a command prompt. Attach an external hard drive, then manually copy all the files you need to keep. Something like Robocopy /e c:\users\MyUserDirectory E:\Backup