24 replies to this topic

#16 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,299 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 01 November 2012 - 15:01

If I was Apple, I'd just refuse.

They have more than enough cash on hand to pay any fines.. and the UK Market isn't that big to begin with.

Even if they are in the wrong, you don't make a company carry an advertisement, which is what it basically is, for another company.

#17 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 15:14

They have more than enough cash on hand to pay any fines.. and the UK Market isn't that big to begin with.

Even if they are in the wrong, you don't make a company carry an advertisement, which is what it basically is, for another company.

It is an advert yes, for Apple's tech, it's a link hidden at the bottom of a page, the link won't be seen or clicked and if someone does click it they are met with two lines of apology and the rest is just rhetoric.

#18 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 14,347 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 15:37

Failing to comply with a court order is not a matter of "losing the UK market". The consequences of being in contempt of court are not the sort of thing Apple management really want to contemplate, seeing as that can include jail time.

Maybe it's wrong to force one company to advertise another, but it was equally wrong for one company to accuse another of copying when they didn't. What's worse? A little ad or a billion dollars fine? Maybe the UK court should have fine their asses as much as that kangaroo court that Ko presided over, fined Samsung.

#19 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,701 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:31

Apple has become real sleazy.

nothing new, typical apple

#20 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

• 1,781 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:59

So, if you have enough money, it's ok to break the law and/or ignore a legal ruling? That seems like a great way to run a company....

#21 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,644 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 17:04

Good, I'm glad the courts have shown their teeth. The incredible smug arrogance of Apple comes across just as badly there as it does in every other part of their business. Every time I read an article about Apple and patents I use my Galaxy S with a smile :laugh:

#22 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 17:12

14 days to update a webpage? no wonder apple has to take down their entire store to release new products </s>

14 days is a fairly normal turn around rate for the agile cycle. One of the major rules of agile development is that you don't rush to push out changes. If you do, mistakes happen. On Neowin, we always make fun of the programmer who makes a simple mistake. Not following the procedures put in place leads to those seemingly simple mistakes.

#23 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,697 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 23:15

Yea, Apple. When they are dishing it out, they expect others to take it. But when someone comes down on them, they act like babies. Ev0en when they win, it isnt good enough and they go back and ask for more money after the verdict/award is given.

They should of done what they were told in the first place. This just shows what winers they are and makes them look even worse.

So what, you think Apple is above the law and shouldnt be held accountable?

Whether it is a big or small market, Apple needs to abide by the same laws as everyone else. If the courts would of let this go, then it would send a message to others that they can ignore the law a well. And Apple always wines about the law and how others are stealing their ideas...but when it comes down to obeying the laws themselves, its a diff story.

ANd it is NOT an advert. It is a statement saying they were wrong for suing Samsung. Its not like Apple has to post links on their site to Samsung products.

#24 stereopixels

stereopixels

Neowinian

• 1,175 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 23:33

14 days is a fairly normal turn around rate for the agile cycle. One of the major rules of agile development is that you don't rush to push out changes. If you do, mistakes happen. On Neowin, we always make fun of the programmer who makes a simple mistake. Not following the procedures put in place leads to those seemingly simple mistakes.

Why are we discussing agile cycle and development time? It's a plain HTML page that doesn't even use their corporate template with a few paragraphs of text on a centre-aligned page. It could be updated in ten minutes and the copy could be written and signed off within one business day. This is Apple throwing themselves around like a stroppy toddler because for once they're not getting their own way.

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 00:00

Glad to see this happen. Apple acted incredibly arrogant in this case.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!