George Lucas Will Donate Most of the $4.05B From Star Wars Deal

George Lucas might be one of the most divisive people in film culture. Many people love him for giving us the gift of Star Wars, while others aren't exactly championing him due to the prequels, the changes to the original trilogy, and the fourth Indiana Jones. Say what you will about his film work, but you can't deny that at his core he really wants to make a difference in the world, which is why he plans on donating the majority of the money from his Lucasfilm sale to charity.

A representative from Lucasfilm told THR, "George Lucas has expressed his intention, in the event the deal closes, to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavors."

"For 41 years, the majority of my time and money has been put into the company," Lucas said, "As I start a new chapter in my life, it is gratifying that I have the opportunity to devote more time and resources to philanthropy."

The sale of Lucasfilm to Disney should be finalized by the end of the year and the final dollar mark on the sale was $4.05 billion. Neither Lucas nor his representatives have said if the George Lucas Educational Foundation will be the recipient of the donation or whether he will spread it across several foundations. In the past, Lucas has donated to the Film Foundation, Stand Up To Cancer, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and his alma mater, USC.

"I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education," Lucas said in a 2010 letter to The Giving Pledge. "It is the key to the survival of the human race. We have to plan for our collective future?and the first step begins with social, emotional, and intellectual tools we provide to our children. As humans, our greatest tool for survival is our ability to think and to adapt?as educators, storytellers, and communicators our responsibility is to continue to do so."

x

One could only hope that Disney will do the right thing. Release the original trilogy, remastered but unedited on blu-ray.

That is the only Star Wars related release I would ever possibly be interested in.

One could only hope that Disney will do the right thing. Release the original trilogy, remastered but unedited on blu-ray.

Going to have to wait for George to die for that one, I would think.

That article is both accurate and inaccurate. Fox has the distribution rights. Lucas has the actual rights to the movies.

Either way, just a matter of Disney giving Fox another pile of money to buy those distribution rights.

which I am sure they will make a shed ton of money anyway if they did that...so its a win/win surely?

That is the only Star Wars related release I would ever possibly be interested in.

Why? Those are NOT Lucas's vision of the story, the remastered version are what he envisioned, I trust him more than I trust fanboys

• Like 1

Why? Those are NOT Lucas's vision of the story, the remastered version are what he envisioned, I trust him more than I trust fanboys

do you really think that George's original vision involved stuffing giant CGI dinosaurs into efficiency frames?

^ I do think Star Wars could be made better today since we finally have the technology to make it right. Back then, they didn't. He's tried to improve the terrible special effects done back then, by and large.