Cop stuns boy with Taser on career day

A lawsuit claims an Albuquerque, N.M., police officer stunned a 10-year-old boy with a Taser after he refused to wash the officer's car.

Officer Christopher Webb was visiting the boy's elementary school for a career day on May 4 when the incident occurred, according to Courthouse News.

During the presentation, Webb apparently asked a group of students if they wanted to wash his patrol car, the lawsuit states. When the boy, identified as R.D. jokingly refused, Webb pointed the stun gun at him and said, "Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police."

Then R.D., who weighs about 100 pounds, was hit in the chest with two barbs and 50,000 volts of electricity, according to Courthouse News Service.

Webb told the Albuquerque Journal the Taser was accidentally discharged.

The boy blacked out.

The officer removed the barbs, which left marks that "looked like cigarette burns" on R.D.'s chest, the lawsuit alleges. The lawsuit claims Webb acted in a "reckless manner."

R.D., who now suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, has "woken up in the middle of the night holding his chest, afraid he is never going to wake up again," Courthouse News Service quoted his lawyer as saying.

Webb was suspended for three days without pay, the Albuquerque Journal reports

source

What a moron. That dude should rot in prison. He'll be damn lucky if he gets away with a HUGE fine and pain and suffering penalties...

• Like 1

Three day suspension for being a total idiot and tasering a ten year old boy what a lame punishment, who wants to put money on it being anyone else they would of lost there job and probably been locked up for child cruelty or something? The police should know better, and pulling out a taser when its not required especially at a kid is just plain idiotic the officer needs a good beating and the force he's with re-shaping if thats the punishment they are giving for harming a kid.

I am sure the officer thought it was funny at first but it was an accidental shot. Which is really really bad. the city will have to pay $$.

Don't know which one is more "idioter":

stick the taser to a 10yo boy's chest thinking its funny

"accidentally" fired the taser

It was a stupid thing to do, pointing the loaded tazer at the kid, but I can also understand how a joke can go horribly wrong due to not thinking before acting, guilty of that myself and then having to apologise for something I didn't mean to do

The cop probably feels terrible (if it was indeed a mistake)

Like the rest of the world likes to tell us, not to mention all non US Neowin users, tasers are harmless. This guy shouldn't be punished in anyway because tasers are 100% harmless. We all know and agree that police having guns is too dangerous so what other option do we have.

Yes the cop should be suspended for 15 days. They got to follow union rules. 3 days is only initial for the incident occurring. But it doesn't take in account for the severity of the situation. If I were the parent I would sue and sue big.

On the bright side, the kid will not career day. ;)

"woken up in the middle of the night holding his chest, afraid he is never going to wake up again" lol, doesn't that action invalidate the concern?

I don't know... I have a form of apnea that causes me to wake up not breathing. I wonder the same thing sometimes. Unless you've been tasered, and in the chest to boot, you won't know what it feels like so it is difficult to imagine fears the event has generated.