27 posts in this topic

Posted

[quote][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Developers are currently taking receipt of a new PlayStation 4 dev kit, VG247 has been told today, with a final version slated to appear in January. Yes, it

Posted

hmmmmm interesting.

Posted

Sounds good. I like how they're trying to make the experience as seamless as possible. Background downloads and being able to jump in and out of a game should be a standard feature for next-gen consoles.

I haven't been following news of the PS4 but are they going with just an APU? I assumed they'd use that alongside a more powerful GPU. I don't think an AMD A10 can run anything at "1080p60".

Posted

[quote name='Anaron' timestamp='1351810178' post='595290555']
Sounds good. I like how they're trying to make the experience as seamless as possible. Background downloads and being able to jump in and out of a game should be a standard feature for next-gen consoles.

I haven't been following news of the PS4 but are they going with just an APU? I assumed they'd use that alongside a more powerful GPU. I don't think an AMD A10 can run anything at "1080p60".
[/quote]
I'm sure Angry Birds would run at 1080p60 :p

Meh... 3D... I'd give 4K the priority to be honest ^^

Possibly it will do that, too though. Probably not at 60fps and 3D though. ;)

[i]Glassed Silver:mac[/i]

Posted

1080p will be more than enough, considering that most of games that are out now are in 720p or lower resolution, mostly with 30fps. So transition to 1080p should be a big leap for consoles.
4K is still far, far away, and just like PS3, games will be designed to run at 1080p and then just upscaled to whatever resolution.

AMD A10 APU have much more powerful GPU than Xbox360 and PS3 combined. And it's not like they will just put off-the-shelf product in PS4, they'll probably have some modifications to make it better at running games.

And it's hard to expect from any side that they will use some expensive parts, Sony specially can't afford to loose big money by selling hardware much lower than manufacturing costs.

Posted

AMD would be rubbing themselves in a very naughty place at the idea of providing Sony with GPUs for their next-gen hardware. Rubbing so hard it'd start a god-damn fire.

Posted

Can't wait to see what the "PS4" will be like.

Posted

[quote name='compl3x' timestamp='1351820155' post='595291011']
AMD would be rubbing themselves in a very naughty place at the idea of providing Sony with GPUs for their next-gen hardware. Rubbing so hard it'd start a god-damn fire.
[/quote]

Aren't they handling all three consoles?

Posted

[quote name='soniqstylz' timestamp='1351825115' post='595291117']
Aren't they handling all three consoles?
[/quote]

If they are, I'm sure they're thrilled.

Posted

If the Xbox 720 has a blue ray then I don't really care what PS4 has!

Posted

I think it's smart going with a GPU/APU combo, developers can offload stuff like physics and ambient occlusion to the APU instead of relying on the SPUs/GPU like the PS3, and because its an x86 CPU it also means that it should be far easier to code for than the custom CELL cpu, we might even start to see more non-multiplatform ports for the PC. It might actually be affordable this time around.

The claims this time around seem doable, the PS3 was claimed to be able to do 2x 1080p 120HZ outputs at the same time and all sorts of other nonsense, though I think 1080p30 is more realistic with all the graphics turned up.

As for the '...why no 4K' nonsense thats bound to crop up, most PCs cant do 4K gaming without 2 or 3 SLI/Crossfire GPUs what makes you think a $500~ home console is going to be able to push that many pixels. By the time 4K TV are the norm we will be nearing the end of PS4 lifespan.

Posted

[quote name='Shenron' timestamp='1351819422' post='595290973']
1080p will be more than enough, considering that most of games that are out now are in 720p or lower resolution, mostly with 30fps. So transition to 1080p should be a big leap for consoles.
4K is still far, far away, and just like PS3, games will be designed to run at 1080p and then just upscaled to whatever resolution.

AMD A10 APU have much more powerful GPU than Xbox360 and PS3 combined. And it's not like they will just put off-the-shelf product in PS4,[b] they'll probably have some modifications to make it better[/b] at running games.

And it's hard to expect from any side that they will use some expensive parts, Sony specially can't afford to loose big money by selling hardware much lower than manufacturing costs.
[/quote]

I wouldn't be so sure about that. After all, with the ps3 sony took a geforce 7800 and actually made it worse than its desktop equivalent.

Posted

They should make bluerays play faster but i do like the feature of being able to go from game to online back to game seamless. So this will be another 600$ system out the door again I believe.

Posted

[quote name='ACTIONpack' timestamp='1351838418' post='595291267']
[/quote]it won't have blueray per-say (as sony still won't let them). but i believe just like nintendo did with the Wii U, Microsoft is creating their own proprietary version of blueray that will be similar

Posted

[quote name='Brando212' timestamp='1351846425' post='595291355']
it won't have blueray per-say ([b]as sony still won't let them[/b]). but i believe just like nintendo did with the Wii U, Microsoft is creating their own proprietary version of blueray that will be similar
[/quote]

You know this because?

Also Sony did not invent/do not own Blu Ray, they are merely part of the board of directors along with many other companies [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association"]http://en.wikipedia....isc_Association[/url]

If Microsoft paid the licensing for Blu Ray I can't see what would stop them using it as is (with movie functionality intact).

Nintendo just skimp on media functionality, look at the Wii, no DVD playback.
1 person likes this

Posted

it won't have blueray per-say (as sony still won't let them). but i believe just like nintendo did with the Wii U, Microsoft is creating their own proprietary version of blueray that will be similar
[/quote]

Yeah you're wrong on this one, Sony has no say on who uses BD, it's not 100% sure yet but it will most likely have bluray, though I don't see the necessarily as BD players are so cheap today and they're starting to be everywhere anyway.

Posted

@both replies to my post

interesting, glad to know I'm wrong on that subject. i never really did my research on that one, just went on what i had been told elsewhere

Posted

[quote name='Brando212' timestamp='1351874379' post='595292097']
@both replies to my post

interesting, glad to know I'm wrong on that subject. i never really did my research on that one, just went on what i had been told elsewhere
[/quote]

No problem. I noticed I came across quite snappy earlier, not intentional, guess I was sleepy/grumpy this morning :p

Posted

it won't have blueray per-say (as sony still won't let them). but i believe just like nintendo did with the Wii U, Microsoft is creating their own proprietary version of blueray that will be similar
[/quote]

This is total nonsense. Both consoles will have blu-ray. Sony isn't the only maker of blu-ray drives on the planet.

Posted

[quote name='Yogurtmaster' timestamp='1351982133' post='595294947']
This is total nonsense. Both consoles will have blu-ray. Sony isn't the only maker of blu-ray drives on the planet.
[/quote]try reading the next few posts after my quoted post and you'll see that i realized that i was wrong already

Posted

About the article, I want to highlight something here...

[quote]
[color=#000000][font=AllerRegular, sans-serif]We were told that Sony

Posted

Yes AMD will be providing processors for all 3 consoles which isn't a surprise. Intel would charge them a fortune for a chip and their built-in graphics would be awful, nvidia and amd would never allow intel to add their gpu to be added otherwise intel would get all their secrets. So the only option is a cpu by intel/amd/ibm and a gpu by amd/nvidia or an amd apu. AMD apu will be far cheaper initially and in the long term as lower nm processes are released. Nvidia will likely be in list of possibilities for the next gen after this as they will have powerful arm chips by then but currently nvidia is out of the question for the time being.

It will be great for game developers having 1 vendor, they will probably have a similar API and SDK, porting games will likely be much quicker and cheaper.

[quote name='ACTIONpack' timestamp='1351838418' post='595291267']
[/quote]

Why? You don't know what the graphics on the next gen are like or their online gaming. The only reason to go for xbox without knowing all of those things is Halo.

Posted

The absolute greatest thing about the release of Microsoft's next console is that people will finally stop calling it Xbox 720.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='torrentthief' timestamp='1351985312' post='595295023']
Yes AMD will be providing processors for all 3 consoles which isn't a surprise. Intel would charge them a fortune for a chip and their built-in graphics would be awful, nvidia and amd would never allow intel to add their gpu to be added otherwise intel would get all their secrets. So the only option is a cpu by intel/amd/ibm and a gpu by amd/nvidia or an amd apu. AMD apu will be far cheaper initially and in the long term as lower nm processes are released. Nvidia will likely be in list of possibilities for the next gen after this as they will have powerful arm chips by then but currently nvidia is out of the question for the time being.

It will be great for game developers having 1 vendor, they will probably have a similar API and SDK, porting games will likely be much quicker and cheaper.

Why? You don't know what the graphics on the next gen are like or their online gaming. The only reason to go for xbox without knowing all of those things is Halo.
[/quote]

The only big problem being Direct X 11 vs OpenGL 4.x. I just don't understand why Microsoft and Sony just just make one console together. They are so much the same that it's almost a massive fail for them to not to consolidate their efforts, software, and hardware into one product.

Posted

[quote name='Yogurtmaster' timestamp='1351987177' post='595295057']
The only big problem being Direct X 11 vs OpenGL 4.x. I just don't understand why Microsoft and Sony just just make one console together. They are so much the same that it's almost a massive fail for them to not to consolidate their efforts, software, and hardware into one product.
[/quote]please don't bring that up again, we've told you numerous reasons why in your thread about it