• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:38

it won't have blueray per-say (as sony still won't let them). but i believe just like nintendo did with the Wii U, Microsoft is creating their own proprietary version of blueray that will be similar

Yeah you're wrong on this one, Sony has no say on who uses BD, it's not 100% sure yet but it will most likely have bluray, though I don't see the necessarily as BD players are so cheap today and they're starting to be everywhere anyway.

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:39

@both replies to my post

interesting, glad to know I'm wrong on that subject. i never really did my research on that one, just went on what i had been told elsewhere

#18 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 02 November 2012 - 17:00

@both replies to my post

interesting, glad to know I'm wrong on that subject. i never really did my research on that one, just went on what i had been told elsewhere

No problem. I noticed I came across quite snappy earlier, not intentional, guess I was sleepy/grumpy this morning :p

#19 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 November 2012 - 22:35

it won't have blueray per-say (as sony still won't let them). but i believe just like nintendo did with the Wii U, Microsoft is creating their own proprietary version of blueray that will be similar

This is total nonsense. Both consoles will have blu-ray. Sony isn't the only maker of blu-ray drives on the planet.

#20 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 November 2012 - 22:39

This is total nonsense. Both consoles will have blu-ray. Sony isn't the only maker of blu-ray drives on the planet.

try reading the next few posts after my quoted post and you'll see that i realized that i was wrong already

#21 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 03 November 2012 - 22:40

About the article, I want to highlight something here...

We were told that Sony’s aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something “very affordable” but that “isn’t a slouch”.

Very affordable is the key phrase. After looking at the specs that VG put out. You will notice a discrete GPU is missing. I am wondering if they decided to take that out
to add in more memory and then modify the A10's built in GPU functionality. Very affordable could be around $250 at start. (in my mind at least).

You also have to think about how they are going to use Gaikai as well. Maybe they will lower the Orbis's functionality to stream games over via Gaikai
or maybe even PS3 games will be streamed over Gaikai to give backward compatibility.

#22 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 November 2012 - 23:28

Yes AMD will be providing processors for all 3 consoles which isn't a surprise. Intel would charge them a fortune for a chip and their built-in graphics would be awful, nvidia and amd would never allow intel to add their gpu to be added otherwise intel would get all their secrets. So the only option is a cpu by intel/amd/ibm and a gpu by amd/nvidia or an amd apu. AMD apu will be far cheaper initially and in the long term as lower nm processes are released. Nvidia will likely be in list of possibilities for the next gen after this as they will have powerful arm chips by then but currently nvidia is out of the question for the time being.

It will be great for game developers having 1 vendor, they will probably have a similar API and SDK, porting games will likely be much quicker and cheaper.

If the Xbox 720 has a blue ray then I don't really care what PS4 has!

Why? You don't know what the graphics on the next gen are like or their online gaming. The only reason to go for xbox without knowing all of those things is Halo.

#23 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 03 November 2012 - 23:38

The absolute greatest thing about the release of Microsoft's next console is that people will finally stop calling it Xbox 720.

#24 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 03 November 2012 - 23:59

Yes AMD will be providing processors for all 3 consoles which isn't a surprise. Intel would charge them a fortune for a chip and their built-in graphics would be awful, nvidia and amd would never allow intel to add their gpu to be added otherwise intel would get all their secrets. So the only option is a cpu by intel/amd/ibm and a gpu by amd/nvidia or an amd apu. AMD apu will be far cheaper initially and in the long term as lower nm processes are released. Nvidia will likely be in list of possibilities for the next gen after this as they will have powerful arm chips by then but currently nvidia is out of the question for the time being.

It will be great for game developers having 1 vendor, they will probably have a similar API and SDK, porting games will likely be much quicker and cheaper.

Why? You don't know what the graphics on the next gen are like or their online gaming. The only reason to go for xbox without knowing all of those things is Halo.

The only big problem being Direct X 11 vs OpenGL 4.x. I just don't understand why Microsoft and Sony just just make one console together. They are so much the same that it's almost a massive fail for them to not to consolidate their efforts, software, and hardware into one product.

#25 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 00:51

The only big problem being Direct X 11 vs OpenGL 4.x. I just don't understand why Microsoft and Sony just just make one console together. They are so much the same that it's almost a massive fail for them to not to consolidate their efforts, software, and hardware into one product.

please don't bring that up again, we've told you numerous reasons why in your thread about it

#26 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:28

please don't bring that up again, we've told you numerous reasons why in your thread about it

I did counter with a lot of points and the numerous reasons never did add up other than fanboy garbage.

#27 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:48

I did counter with a lot of points and the numerous reasons never did add up other than fanboy garbage.

lol. Yeah, that is how it happened.