Windows 8 Pro Activation

So I caved and bought W8P, cost me $80 after taxes.

I still hate Metro and the Start Screen, so I'll be buying Start8 so I can go directly to the desktop.

I haven't installed W8P yet because I have the following question:

I do have Internet access, but it's not currently working, so will I be able to temporarily bypass the online activation or is there a way to activate it over the phone?

I never had my internet connected and it installed fine, just didn't activate...I don't know how long you can run it like this for though, as I connected up shortly after.. but it did install, and I was using it before I hooked it back up.

I was really dubious about metro..but I now love it... makes the traditional desktop seem somewhat dull! Live tiles and apps make my start screen more interactive now...

I was really dubious about metro..but I now love it... makes the traditional desktop seem somewhat dull! Live tiles and apps make my start screen more interactive now...

Same here. It's taken me several days to get the hang of it, though.

And to the OP, you should be able to activate by phone.

I installed without internet access, and it just let me activate later when I had internet access. It does restrict you though (when you're not activated) - you cant personalize was the main thing I noticed, however you can still use your system and do most things. (Now that I think of it, not being able to personalize was the only thing I noticed xD)

Just go ahead and install and activate later.

Alternatively you can do it by phone if you cant wait until you get internet access.

Nobody nearby have open wifi that you could temporarily connect to? :p

I have a desktop, not a laptop, so I don't use WiFi.

No problem. Install it and use it. You can always activate it later when you have an Internet access. The ony thing you won't be able to do until your copy is activated: Changing the login screen background and the "Metro" background. Everything else will be 100% functional

Maybe it's possible to share your phone's internet via USB?

Good point, I used to turn on WiFi hotspot on my iPhone when I was stuck without a connection. It can be quite fast too if you are in good 3G reception. (Or If you are lucky enough to have 4G reception)

Maybe it's possible to share your phone's internet via USB?

I already tried, after my Internet connection went down last week, for some reason Tether refuses to work with the Galaxy Nexus. So, if I do install it, I'll wait until I have a working Internet connection again.