Apple has lost their legal claim to the iPhone name in Mexico

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,691 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:25

Pretty sure Apple with buy them off or bribe them to use the name.

kinda like how Cisco was in their way with their iOS name... hey lets give them tons of cash and make an agreement so we don't have to think of another name

#17 freedonX

freedonX

Neowinian

• 146 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:28

Like I said, I don't agree with Apple suing (prettty much everytime they sue it's because of something stupid). I'm more aiming that iFone countersued, which...well you just don't cross your arms and let someone else take the advantage but I don't agree with either side. They should just live with it, it's not like either are really going to affected.

Out of interest, how are they pronounced differently?

uhm the only word I can think of ATM from spanish.
iFone like "fonetica"

#18 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,534 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:32

As an English and Spanish speaker, I can confirm that iFone and iPhone are pronounced pretty much identically, at least there. The "f" and "ph" sounds are the same in English, and although the latter combination does not exist in Spanish, speakers know enough to know what an iPhone is and how to say it. With both they will likely pronounce the final 'e' as well, said kind of like the phonetic "schwa" sound. So, yeah.

I vote for iManzana :D

#19 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,691 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:35

Like I said, I don't agree with Apple suing (prettty much everytime they sue it's because of something stupid). I'm more aiming that iFone countersued, which...well you just don't cross your arms and let someone else take the advantage but I don't agree with either side. They should just live with it, it's not like either are really going to affected.

uhm the only word I can think of ATM from spanish.
iFone like "fonetica"

Phone in spanish sounds like Ponaye (spelled phonetically) since the h is silent fone sounds more like phone in english

#20 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,695 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:16

This is exactly what is wrong with modern business - rather than accept that the iFone brand is legitimate and simply rebrand the iPhone for that country Apple decided to sue them to invalidate their trademark. Nobody in their right mind could think that this is acceptable behaviour yet when there's money involved nobody cares about doing what's right.

Now they'll either buy the trademark or the company and close it. Not a big deal when you're Apple.

#21 I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

• 4,409 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:22

haha http://www.forvo.com/word/fone/#pt hows this?

still the same

#22 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,887 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:48

iFone would probably not even have bothered with all this hadn't Apple go hostile first. It probably has more to do with giving Apple a spanking than getting a compensation for any kind of hypothetical damages.

#23 Rodrigo

Rodrigo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,699 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 19:53

^ Um... no.. In English.. iFone and iPhone have identical pronunciations The letters "ph" in English forms an "F" sound.

It's 100% completely right and proper that iFone won this case. Their trademark predates Apple's by 4 years andit's in the same market area. Apple had zero leg to stand on here and it was reprehensible that they should have tried to steal another company's trademark.

Time to rename their iPhone to iGotPwnd.

Actually that's my point, in English it sounds the same, however we are talking about Mexico where Spanish is the main language not English, therefore the pronunciation is not the same.

Out of interest, how are they pronounced differently?

iFone would be pronounced something like this: eefon.

#24 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,385 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:22

Actually that's my point, in English it sounds the same, however we are talking about Mexico where Spanish is the main language not English, therefore the pronunciation is not the same.

Ah, but Apple aren't, and from what I understand, even in Spanish, iPhone is pronounced the same way; so I can really see why they went after iFone. They're THAT arrogant they just assumed everyone says it the same way as they do and decided to try to bully them into giving up their property and paying up loads of cash.

Serves the ******** right for losing. I hope they lose their shirts.

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:09

Apple sure is doing some stupid stuff lately. I'm not sure they can make it with Jobs.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!