why would anyone want to spend an extra $100 or $150.00

Isn't it more like $50?

#17 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 2,985 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 02 November 2012 - 22:49

I agree with Google on this one. For normal people it is just confusing.
I do also think they should be releasing handsets with a reasonable amount of storage for typical use-cases.

Quite happy for my mini tablet to be 16GB, but my phone has to be 64GB... not 8/16GB which quite frankly is pathetic.

#18 Open Minded

Open Minded

Balance

• 1,355 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:04

Changing the oil in a car is confusing to some. Maybe Honda, Ford, Toyota etc. should stop putting drain plugs on the oil pan.

#19 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:12

People that are THAT stupid have -way- bigger problems than available storage on their phone.

#20 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• 7,039 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:16

I do also think they should be releasing handsets with a reasonable amount of storage for typical use-cases.

Quite happy for my mini tablet to be 16GB, but my phone has to be 64GB... not 8/16GB which quite frankly is pathetic.

How is it confusing. When you put an SD card in a device it becomes the default storage location. There's nothing confusing about it.

#21 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 2,985 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:18

Changing the oil in a car is confusing to some. Maybe Honda, Ford, Toyota etc. should stop putting drain plugs on the oil pan.

Good product design is all about making decisions to make your product easy to use and effective. I don't know enough about the engineering motor vehicles to comment on what Honda, Ford or Toyota should do.

People that are THAT stupid have -way- bigger problems than available storage on their phone.

Right - because you understand absolutely everything and no-one in the world thinks a single thing is so obvious that they could regard you as equally as stupid for not knowing it? Grow up...

#22 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,634 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:18

I'd be interested to know the percentage of users that actually use SD card storage for anything other than bulk storage - i.e. those who regularly swap SD cards. It wouldn't surprise me if it was less than 10% of users. I know that the only reason I use a SD card is because the built-in storage on my phone is limited, so I manually transfer apps to the SD card - it's a needlessly involved and it's not good for the user experience.

I just checked and I have 1GB of storage on my phone and 8GB of storage on SD card, of which I'm using about 5.5GB. Therefore to ensure capacity isn't an issue for devices without SD card support they really need to be aiming for a minimum of 16GB, with 32GB+ being preferable. Personally I'd prefer Google made Android recognise SD cards as internal storage by default, with an option for managing it manually for advanced users - that gets around the user experience concerns, while giving advanced users flexibility.

#23 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 2,985 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:19

How is it confusing. When you put an SD card in a device it becomes the default storage location. There's nothing confusing about it.

You've obviously not dealt with anyone who has formatted their phone thinking that everything was on the SD card? Believe me they exist...

#24 +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,064 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:22

1. I do believe that a nice % of people that purchase phones with SD card dont actually use it or could have used the internal memory of the phone instead.
2. If this is the reason Google gave then they should have created Nexus 4 with 16/32GB and not 8/16GB.

#25 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,992 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:31

I love Android but this argument is absolute baloney. If you can design a smartphone OS that can pinpoint your location accurate to 10 feet, check your email, remind you of appointments, and even recognise voice input, setting it up to utilise internal memory and external storage cannot be all that hard.

#26 sjms

sjms

Neowinian

• 53 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:31

for some reason both apple and google think people are simpletons. granted there are more then a reasonable share of them out there but that's what apple is for, to slowly drain the pockets of said individuals selling them space in the "cloud" and telling them how cool the world can be using their devices to guide them through.
if you can load and understand the use of a memory card in a digital camera the rest is cake. knowledge is power.
if your life revolves around your android or iphone you should seek some psychological help because you are easily taken advantage of as you constantly have to have the next little "big" thing

#27 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,236 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:34

I know plenty of people with Android phones who keep "running out of space" (especially those with budget Android devices), even though they have a mostly empty SD card.

I completely agree that it's complicated (or just hassle!) for many people outside of tech. forums and Apple and Nexus devices have it right.

#28 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• 1,590 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:36

For the average Joe-idiot, expandable storage would be confusing. However, that doesn't mean a geek would fall into those same problems.

Simply put, cloud and wireless data services are not reliable enough for me to depend on. I am on a T-Mobile prepaid plan and service is generally slow and unreliable ($30 a month and it fit's my needs. The cloud is not an option for me. Offer me near 100% reliability in cellular data services for a similar price (no caps) and I will consider switching to the cloud.

#29 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,445 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:42

Part of it may be to avoid paying Microsoft Fat file system patent.

You've obviously not dealt with anyone who has formatted their phone thinking that everything was on the SD card? Believe me they exist...

I've also seen different android devices where a factory reset will only wipe internal storage, and not the sd card, and other devices where a factory reset does both.

#30 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,383 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:44

I wish that my Nexus device had a MicroSD card slot. I fill mine with music and podcasts and I'm constantly having to delete things to save on space.

SD cards sell like hotcakes when the prices are right, people know how to use them and they understand what they need to do with them.