Windows 8 SP1: What We Hope To See

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#76 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian Senior

• 1,663 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 21:31

A lot of these issues aren't even present. Make the store a live tile that shows when you have app updates? umm, it already does that. It even tells you how many you have.

#77 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 04 November 2012 - 21:42

I love the "Windows 8 is for tablets not pcs". Its like as soon as windows 8 was announced people went brain dead and forgot how to move a mouse.

A lot of these issues aren't even present. Make the store a live tile that shows when you have app updates? umm, it already does that. It even tells you how many you have.

silly guy, did you expect logic from an obvious troll post?

#78 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 November 2012 - 21:45

I love the "Windows 8 is for tablets not pcs". Its like as soon as windows 8 was announced people went brain dead and forgot how to move a mouse.

Moving a mouse takes too much work. So, I'm going back to Windows 7.... to move my mouse. Wait...

#79 guru

guru

||guru||

• 8,267 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:21

sorry MS fans, but the article is spot on.

UX sucks,
Dumbed down interface, that makes iOS seem like Linux
The default Apps in Win8 Metro are a joke. with the exception of Office, there isnt a single app that holds a candle to iPad apps. Garageband, iPhoto.. i could go on.(i recently played around with my uncle's ipad,)

Win8 badly needs a update. with all the resources MS have, i cant believe, they didnt see this coming. i mean , how difficult is it to code the default apps? heck, at the very least match these http://www.apple.com.../built-in-apps/

i'm starting to think, over minimalist metro isn't suited at all for Tablet / Desktop. The only thing going for it is live tiles.. which are awesome. but other than that, it seems to soo bland compared iOS or even jellybean :/

#80 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:09

sorry MS fans, but the article is spot on.

UX sucks,
Dumbed down interface, that makes iOS seem like Linux
The default Apps in Win8 Metro are a joke. with the exception of Office, there isnt a single app that holds a candle to iPad apps. Garageband, iPhoto.. i could go on.(i recently played around with my uncle's ipad,)

Win8 badly needs a update. with all the resources MS have, i cant believe, they didnt see this coming. i mean , how difficult is it to code the default apps? heck, at the very least match these http://www.apple.com.../built-in-apps/

i'm starting to think, over minimalist metro isn't suited at all for Tablet / Desktop. The only thing going for it is live tiles.. which are awesome. but other than that, it seems to soo bland compared iOS or even jellybean :/

Uh. At least match those? Win8 by default comes with its own version of almost all the apps in that link. There's only a few it's missing and that's because MS doesn't have it's own eBook retail shop. For that you can install apps from the retails themselves within seconds. I already have all my Kindle stuff on Win8.

The other apps you've mentioned (like Garageband) are paid apps and not on the iPad by default. So to try to compare the default apps on Win8 to non-default apps is the type of (pun not intended) apples to oranges comparison that makes your argument look bad.

Bland is a set of static icons. Alive is a UI that presents you with up to date information regarding the things you care about.

Also Office (even on WinRT) is a desktop not Metro app.

Are you sure you're even aware of what Windows 8 offers if you're offering this kind of bad information that isn't backed up by reality?

#81 guru

guru

||guru||

• 8,267 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:21

Uh. At least match those? Win8 by default comes with its own version of almost all the apps in that link. There's only a few it's missing and that's because MS doesn't have it's own eBook retail shop. For that you can install apps from the retails themselves within seconds. I already have all my Kindle stuff on Win8.

Metro equivalents of those apps are crap. just compare apple mail and metro mail app.

The other apps you've mentioned (like Garageband) are paid apps and not on the iPad by default. So to try to compare the default apps on Win8 to non-default apps is the type of (pun not intended) apples to oranges comparison that makes your argument look bad.

i didnt say garageband was default. garageband is first party app. has MS made any Garageband equivalent app? how about iPhoto? There should have been very good benchmark Apps by MS at launch.

Bland is a set of static icons. Alive is a UI that presents you with up to date information regarding the things you care about.

you could have live tiles and some texture..

Also Office (even on WinRT) is a desktop not Metro app.

Are you sure you're even aware of what Windows 8 offers if you're offering this kind of bad information that isn't backed up by reality?

talk about hiding behind semantics, The "Desktop" in WinRT cannot be used by any other app other than Office and IE.

#82 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:36

Incorrect. Any of the normal in-the-box Winapps work on desktop on RT models.

Paint, Notepad, Wordpad, Command Prompt.

The whole OS is still functional. You just can't install other stuff. It is still fully functional otherwise. You can treat it exactly like any other Windows.

So what semantics are you talking about? Office is NOT a Metro app. There is no semantics involved...none.

BTW I fully manage 3 email addresses currently in the default mail app.

1 Outlook, 1 Hotmail/MSN/Live based, and 1 IMAP based with ease.

What's wrong with the default mail app?

#83 OP Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:08

+1 Microsoft has already said there will be no SP1 ...

That's not the point, the article is just an "I wish" article.

#84 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,712 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:26

The solution? Microsoft needs to refine the user interface, period. And this can take a number of forms. The most obvious solution is treating Metro the way it was meant to be designed: as a supplement to the “core” Windows 7 operating system rather than a botched attempt at a primary UI. Let users boot into the desktop if they want. Give them their Start button back. Give them the option of restricting Metro’s interface to Metro apps only, which also solves the irritating issue of installed apps filling Windows 8’s new user interface full of crappy tiles.

AMEN!

windows 8 could have been so much better if only they would keep the two worlds seperate, give the user a choice.

they really need to try to somehow made the metro apps usable. apps like weather should not take a full screen. should be a easy option to size, minimize move apps. and before some metro fanatics say but but you can.

sorry but you can't, look how much freedom you have with desktop apps, you can size the windows to any shape, any size, place them anywere, you have no limit to how many are placed on the screen, you can send the WMP or zune to small toolbar in the taskbar.

metro is to limited in function, its not a move forward, is a giant step backwards, nothing was improved.

#85 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,872 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:27

What's wrong with the default mail app?

1. It REQUIRES a windows live account, otherwise you can't even use it to setup an imap account. Not a problem for me since I have one, but I do tech support for an ISP, and one of the things I do most often is help people setup our email in the default windows email app. I deal with a lot of tech illiterate customers, and they get really confused when it tells them they need a windows live account.

2. Even the most incredibly basic options/actions are buried behind the right click menu.

3. It just generally lacks features compared to windows live mail and other mail apps.

#86 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,712 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:33

1. It REQUIRES a windows live account, otherwise you can't even use it to setup an imap account. Not a problem for me since I have one, but I do tech support for an ISP, and one of the things I do most often is help people setup our email in the default windows email app. I deal with a lot of tech illiterate customers, and they get really confused when it tells them they need a windows live account.

2. Even the most incredibly basic options are buried behind the right click menu.

3. It just generally lacks features compared to windows live mail and other mail apps.

that pretty much describles all metro apps.

I installed windows 8 on two peoples PCs over the weekend because they insisted. and both were suprised why do they need microsoft acounts, one only had comcast email and other had gmail. both asked why do i need microsoft account, i don't need or want one.

one person already asked me to restore it back to windows 7, good thing i made backup of the c drive.

#87 Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,557 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:36

Microsoft are not releasing any more service packs and definitely no new features in updates

#88 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:38

1. It REQUIRES a windows live account, otherwise you can't even use it to setup an imap account.

You CAN setup an IMAP account. Mail doesn't require a Live account. You can setup Google, Yahoo, and AOL accounts.

But for IMAP: Charms > Settings > Accounts > Other Account. Boom there you go.

#89 OP Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:41

Microsoft are not releasing any more service packs and definitely no new features in updates

Here, let me post the following again, in regards to this article on MPC:

That's not the point, the article is just an "I wish" article.

#90 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,872 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:43

You CAN setup an IMAP account. Mail doesn't require a Live account. You can setup Google, Yahoo, and AOL accounts.

But for IMAP: Charms > Settings > Accounts > Other Account. Boom there you go.

Accounts does NOT show up in the mail charms menu until you've logged in with a windows live account.