Microsoft Surface MicroHDMI is NOT Proprietary.. This $5.99 cable work

There were some rumors that the Microsoft adapter was needed, but after ordering this cheap cable http://www.amazon.co...fb_lfb_prodpg_0 and trying it out at home, I can say normal microhdmi to hdmi cables work great and the display looks sharp too!

BTW, that cable is built great and ships free with prime! fits secure on monitor and output on Surface.

edit: fixed spelling..

They'd very much like to:

http://www.neowin.ne...more-like-apple

They just can't afford it at the moment.

They want apple margins and more solid hardware, but I've never seen MS a fan of proprietary interfaces.. I think too many people assumed that since ms sold an adapter you had to use that one. Surface dual screen works too well! i'll have to try a microHDMI to DVI adaptor as well to see if those work.

They want apple margins and more solid hardware, but I've never seen MS a fan of proprietary interfaces.. I think too many people assumed that since ms sold an adapter you had to use that one. Surface dual screen works too well! i'll have to try a microHDMI to DVI adaptor as well to see if those work.

PC in all its connectivity splendor has been Microsoft's lifeline since their very beginning. There's not much they can do about that, is there? What, a connector required to install and use Office? Impossibly stupid example. An Xbox without pretty much all known telly connectivity? A death sentence.

What do you think comes with "more solid hardware" down the road? I won't say they'll do it, but I wouldn't put it past them at all.

I bought this and realized it too. But here's why I'm going to keep it though...

In a hotel, if they have something plugged into HDMI, you'll be able to unplug it from that device and plug the full sized HDMI into this adapter without having to get behind the TV. So it will give me a little more flexibility for me while traveling.

The rumors of it being proprietary are because the Microsoft site calls it a proprietary adapter. However, yes, it is standard microHDMI, but the official connector is angled to match the edge of the Surface. While a regular cable does work, I found that I had the best luck if I sanded the rubber of the cheap cable that I had, so that it was a better fit.