Photo

Win8 upgrade download gives x86 not x64 from upgrade advisor

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:49

Well I went to purchase an upgrade license for my 64-bit machine through the windows 8 upgrade advisor... of course it gave me the $39.99 upgrade price for win8 pro... paid for it, did the download, reinstalled the OS from a USB drive... and now I am running a 32-bit OS... looked at the ISO image its almost a GB smaller then my 64-bit ISO of windows 8 pro... why would they give me a 32-bit download for a 64-bit OS upgrade? I'm just confused now

edit:
well this just grindes my gears... I tried to use my other win8 pro image to install the x64 version and it tells me my key is invalid... that ISO came from MSDN, but it should be a retail image according to MSDN

#2 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:16

They keys don't care about 32 or 64 bit. If the 64-bit ISO is saying it's not a valid key then either something is wrong with the key or wrong with the ISO.

Are 110% sure you're using the right key and haven't transposed something?

In that vein make sure you have the right ISO.

#3 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:44

You can contact MS. If they verify that the key is legit and only for 32 bit, I'm pretty sure they can exchange you the new key for 66 bit version.

#4 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:54

Hope you are not installing Windows 8 using the upgrade key on a blank hard disk.

#5 OP vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:18

Hope you are not installing Windows 8 using the upgrade key on a blank hard disk.

that wouldn't make a difference with the version the upgrade advisor downloaded, as it is downloaded from inside windows

#6 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:19

that wouldn't make a difference with the version the upgrade advisor downloaded, as it is downloaded from inside windows

They are referring to the key...but it shouldn't show the key as invalid...it would just prevent activation, but allow the install.

You can contact MS. If they verify that the key is legit and only for 32 bit, I'm pretty sure they can exchange you the new key for 66 bit version.

Keys are for the SKU, not for the architecture. So the same key will work for 32-bit and 64-bit.

#7 OP vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:50

I have a feeling the MSDN ISO has something different about it that doesn't like the key MS gave through the upgrade advisor, the ISO checksum even for the 32-bit pro version from MSDN doesn't match

#8 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:05

I have a feeling the MSDN ISO has something different about it that doesn't like the key MS gave through the upgrade advisor, the ISO checksum even for the 32-bit pro version from MSDN doesn't match

The MSDN version definitely works with the upgrade key and the same key works for both 32bit and 64bit installs. There must be something else going on here.

#9 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:08

My Technet x64 8 Pro image HASH is:

SHA-1: 79ED9958CF1690DD8A60A0B1B15F5DCC76C8E625

MD5: 1C9D3FBCD725E79EF693059EA38F4447

EDIT - Same HASH as MSDN

#10 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:09

Can't you log into the upgrade advisor website and download the relevant images again?

#11 stickyiki

stickyiki

Neowinian

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:29

I have used the upgrade advisor to download the image and install it on my machine and it IS x64. Don't be fooled by the size of the images. Verify that you have x64 installed by pressing Win Key + X on your keyboard, then selecting System. It will open up System Information and if it says 64-bit Operating System beside System type, then you are fine.

#12 OP vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 00:23

Can't you log into the upgrade advisor website and download the relevant images again?

I didn't even know there was a website? I just did everything through the app

I have used the upgrade advisor to download the image and install it on my machine and it IS x64. Don't be fooled by the size of the images. Verify that you have x64 installed by pressing Win Key + X on your keyboard, then selecting System. It will open up System Information and if it says 64-bit Operating System beside System type, then you are fine.

it's not x64, I have 12GB of ram, and only 3.5 is showing up on the computer info, and nothing in task manager is showing up as "*32", trust me it installed as x86 I have two other systems running x64 windows 8 right now, that is why I am so confused... the others where retail installs (MSDN license for testing our software we write), this was the only upgrade advisor one that I did...

#13 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 00:40

Use the MSDN images. Just make sure to have a valid OS installed first. You will be able to do a clean install of the 64-bit OS from that media.

#14 OP vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:33

Use the MSDN images. Just make sure to have a valid OS installed first. You will be able to do a clean install of the 64-bit OS from that media.

Like I said above, that didn't work, it told me it's an invalid key and yes this was an upgrade install with windows 7 already on the drive

#15 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:20

Like I said above, that didn't work, it told me it's an invalid key and yes this was an upgrade install with windows 7 already on the drive

If the MSDN image matches the checksum and is rejecting the key then something is wrong with the key

That image will accept the upgrade keys just fine.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!