Win8 upgrade download gives x86 not x64 from upgrade advisor

Just call up Microsoft using the toll free number. I had the same issue, the key was used once on my laptop, story short laptop had issues. So I changed the Windows 8 install to my HTPC, called them up and they gave me a phone activation key.

Actually it can do a clean install just fine. That's been proven over and over again. A full install...now that's a different story...and based on the key and a few reg entries.

Also the poster states that they are using an x64 OS and that for some reason it errored and gave them the x86 version instead. All of that info is already included in prior posts. :)

actually, the download I did last night I did a clean full install just fine with the key I got from the MS Upgrade advisor program... erased the SSD just to see what it would do, no problem at all doing a clean install with blank drives

and before someone says "but thats still an upgrade as you formatted it from inside the installer" no I did a secure erase on the SSD drive before i installed windows...

Huh. It should still require some finagling to get it to activate...it shouldn't just auto activate in that scenario if all drives are blank and no OS exists on any of them.

This muddies up the waters again on the whole what type of key people are getting.

Huh. It should still require some finagling to get it to activate...it shouldn't just auto activate in that scenario if all drives are blank and no OS exists on any of them.

This muddies up the waters again on the whole what type of key people are getting.

nah, it says windows is activated seems to be working fine for me

Shane, according to Microsoft's Website, they have now modified their Product Activation System so that if you try a Clean Install with an Upgrade Product Key it will fail Activation with an Error Message.

P.S. I am typing this message in to this Website using my Cell Phone right now so I will NOT be able to provide a Link to that FAQ on Microsoft's Windows 8 $39.99 Upgrade Website until I get home and am using my home PC to access the Internet. Perhaps if someone else here is able to find that link on the Windows 8 Website they could post a link to that FAQ.

Shane, according to Microsoft's Website, they have now modified their Product Activation System so that if you try a Clean Install with an Upgrade Product Key it will fail Activation with an Error Message.

No. That's a full install..without a prior OS. With a prior OS a clean install is possible, and in certain cases required as per the FAQ:

Can I use a Windows 8 upgrade SKU to upgrade to Windows 8 from my existing Windows OS?

Yes. Windows 8 upgrade SKUs are designed for use on a computer that is already licensed for an earlier version of Windows (Windows XP SP3 or higher). Depending on the Windows version you are upgrading from, a ?clean install? of Windows 8 may be required.

I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to this.

That's NOT the FAQ that I'm referring to.

I am home now but I'm NOT on the computer right now since I am Watching the U.S.A. Presidential Election Results on Fox News Channel. Just FYI. Windows XP SP2 and Earlier Support by Microsoft is Expired as per their Software Lifecycle page and as a result may NOT Upgrade to Windows 8 unless they Install Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Later and then Install Windows 8 AS AN UPGRADE! Just FYI.

P.S. Support is also Expired for Windows Vista RTM and SP1 however for some reason or another Microsoft still allows Windows 8 Upgrades from Windows Vista RTM and SP1.

That's NOT the FAQ that I'm referring to.

I am home now but I'm NOT on the computer right now since I am Watching the U.S.A. Presidential Election Results on Fox News Channel. Just FYI. Windows XP SP2 and Earlier Support by Microsoft is Expired as per their Software Lifecycle page and as a result may NOT Upgrade to Windows 8 unless they Install Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Later and then Install Windows 8 AS AN UPGRADE! Just FYI.

It doesn't matter what FAQ you are referring to.

That FAQ is the one directly from Microsoft on their Windows Upgrade Offer page.

So do you want to tell someone that the company that makes the OS that they don't know how the upgrades work?

Suit yourself...you're still wrong.