Goodbye x86, hello x64!

"XP(2002 ver.)"

Windows XP came out in October 2001. There is no "2002 version".

XP identifies itself as Version 2002 in the System Properties. I believe that's where that comment is coming from.

XP identifies itself as Version 2002 in the System Properties. I believe that's where that comment is coming from.

It does? How strange! I never noticed this.

Any idea why it says that there?

Because while Windows XP had that naming convention it was identified as Version 2002...as a follow on to Windows 2000. It was the merger of the older Windows 9x (based on year) features and the Windows 2000 (NT, but still named based on year at this point) codebase.

The XP stood for eXPerience...and while it was the official name they still wanted a 'version' to tie in that businesses would be familiar with. So the properties identified it as Version 2002.

It was always common for companies to name their products with the name of the upcoming year. For instance Office 2013 has RTM'd and is available to certain groups...but it's still 2012. :)

Well I just wanted to say is I have decided to rid myself of x86 Ultimate. I am now running Ultimate x64 Window 7. I can say it was the right choice to make, after being on 32 bit since XP(2002 ver.). I would rather the system use all my ram instead of half. Which the first thing I put on here was Waterfox and I think it's better then Firefox. Also, things seem to run smoother then before. So now I am officially 100% through with 32 bit operating systems. Right now I only have 2GB but will be upping it to 4.

To the hundreds of posters and thread makers alway's raising the topic of sending x86 into exile, I will agree all the way. 64 is the future and it's pure fact...maybe, lol

Welcome to the year 2012...

2012? More like 2007-2009 for most people.

Geeks, not most people.

Most manufacturers were still selling x32 Vista in 2007-2008.

"XP(2002 ver.)"

Windows XP came out in October 2001. There is no "2002 version".

Really now? I know what I had bought....here have some pictures.

Cv5Ugl.jpg

tu00Ul.jpg

YwKmnl.jpg

Geeks, not most people.

Most manufacturers were still selling x32 Vista in 2007-2008.

100% true...my pc came with Vista HP 32

• Like 1

Really now? I know what I had bought....here have some pictures.

<image snipped>

<image snipped>

<image snipped>

This has been cleaned up various times, read the topic.

However, you still needn't write "XP (2002 ver.)" because there aren't any other versions. They're all "Version 2002".

Just switched one of my systems for 64-bit as well. Runs flawlessly, I love it. I still have 5 other systems running in 32 bit though. Old hardware that's still chugging along just fine. Plus I just can't afford to upgrade/replace all of it. :/

2006 for me; even though XP x64 sucked ass.

Biggest issue was drivers. Friend of mine had all sorts of hell with it.

@tsupersonic: oh well doesn't really matter, I'm on W7 now so it's alll gravy.

XP 64bit aka NT 5.2 was basically workstation version of server 2003, not many companies made 64bit drivers for consumer hardware for server OS.

truth