Photo

What the hell has happened to arch linux?

arch linux terrible systemd

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#46 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:20

Just done a whole fresh new install using the latest installation media on my laptop and can confirm the icons are all bugged, no volume, bluetooth or battery icon is visible, the volume slider is messed up, etc. so it goes to show arch's standards are at rock bottom if they put this out as 'stable' -> it doesn't even work.
Running startx makes X11 exit completely on the laptop install.
#whatajoke

But at least now the wiki has instructions for getting static IP addresses on systemd (I haven't bothered to try it so I'm unsure if it actually works or not though)

EDIT: "The only problem I am having right now.. is that whenever I start it up, I have to run gnome-tweak-tool and reset the "Have file manager handle the desktop". Because until I disable then re-enable the icons have a black font which can't be seen on my desktop, and the menu is the white/grey not the dark that I set."
Sounds like a problem with gnome-settings-daemon, ironically being linked to a bug I found with smartcards, when I logged in using a smartcard, GSD would crash and all colours would look awful plus no background, I submitted a bug report and a partial error log from a debug compiled version but shortly after I got annoyed with the whole smartcard login and got rid of it so I'm unsure if it ever got investigated or fixed, but it'll be related to GSD.

Edited by n_K, 07 November 2012 - 12:25.

#47 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 22:32

I do use linux. and while Windows doesn't break things, you're not using windows are you, you're using linux, and you DID NOT check what the update actually did. whatever branch you're on, it's YOUR responsibility to check that the update doesn't break your OS. just like admins on windows have to run all updates on test servers first.

You're the one who chose to use linux, and specifically arch linux, that makes it your responsibility to check what the updates do, regardless of how many lines of changelog you have to check. you can't push this problem onto the devs.

oh and HEY LOOK
https://www.archlinux.org/
the top news on the archlinux website. yeah I can see you did thorough research on what was in this update, and that finding out initscripts are no longer supported required very thorough reading of long change logs indeed....

As for helping with the issue. you're saying you don't want help you just want to whine, if you had gone to the site and read said news, you'd see they recommend migrating to systemd.

personally I would recommend you migrate to Ubuntu, that way you don't have to worry about such things and you don't have to complaint hat the devs change stuff to make your life hard.

How many people actually go back every single day to the sites you dl your distro from? Not many, if there are any. I haven't been back to the Fedora site in ages. Their updates don't break my system. Sorry HawkMan, but this is on the devs shoulders. Not the user.

#48 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 November 2012 - 22:42

How many people actually go back every single day to the sites you dl your distro from? Not many, if there are any. I haven't been back to the Fedora site in ages. Their updates don't break my system. Sorry HawkMan, but this is on the devs shoulders. Not the user.

Arch is more bleeding edge than other distros, and it doesn't hide this. In addition to this its a rolling release. This combination is why you need to make sure you pay attention when you do updates. It is on the user's shoulder's if they choose a bleeding edge rolling release distro and don't be careful when updating.

Fedora isn't rolling release, so it doesn't get major changes in updates that require intervention. A closer comparison would be upgrading from one fedora release to another.

Arch is a hobbyist distro, I think you are expecting a bit much out of devs doing all this work for free. If you want a more end user friendly distro there's ubuntu, fedora etc...

#49 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 22:46

Ladies and Gentleman... this is the reason because Ubuntu is somehow famous amount the people trying to experience linux, move just a bit to another distribution and you got two choices: Either you become a guru and "hack" the installation as someone has said or die trying.

I'm a great windows user, for sure, but in this case I'm gonna say this: Dead to all non friendly distributions, long life Ubuntu (or Debian...)

#50 jaylittle

jaylittle

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:15

Snipped

I would just dump Arch. Because no matter what anyone says, you the user will always be the one to blame, not the devs. Maybe move onto something else.

That's not the case at all. Arch isn't a distro for end users. Distros like Ubuntu and Mint fill that role. Distros like Arch are meant for technical users that want to live on the bleeding edge. Hence installing updates in Arch is nothing like installing updates in Ubuntu, Mint or even Windows. It's a totally different ballgame. If you want an end user experience, use an end user distro. Complaining that Arch doesn't handle updates like Windows is like complaining that your screwdriver doesn't work as well as your hammer.

#51 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:12

Yet for those of us Arch users who actually read the instructions - there wasn't an issue.

In terms of switching over to systemd, yeah probably.
In terms of this release of gnome in STABLE, NOT TESTING, there are loads of issues I've pointed out lots of times still present on a BRAND NEW install.

Sorry I really couldn't care less what planet you're from, if you install something that's 'stable' and it has missing icons, broken features and these are features you use EVERY SINGLE DAY it is NOT STABLE.

#52 LargeLarry

LargeLarry

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:20

+1 to everything jaylittle said.

I updated and configured systemd before I rebooted and didn't have an issue. I also check the news page frequently to stay informed.

That being said; I run 2 boxes with arch linux. One with gnome 3 in fallback mode and one with xfce. I'm probably going to remove gnome 3 and install xfce.

#53 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:35

That being said; I run 2 boxes with arch linux. One with gnome 3 in fallback mode and one with xfce. I'm probably going to remove gnome 3 and install xfce.

Similiar to my new idea, remove gnome and get lxde or whatnot on it instead.

#54 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:45

As far as I'm concerned if an update is pushed to the stable branch of any OS, it's the vendor's problem if it breaks the OS, not the user's. If an update can brake people's systems it should not be offered.

Exactly correct!!

Exactly why Linux will NEVER be my main OS. They have broken stuff so many times with their untested updates, I can't count that high!!

#55 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:59

Exactly correct!!

Exactly why Linux will NEVER be my main OS. They have broken stuff so many times with their untested updates, I can't count that high!!

Well if you run a regular end user distro and not a rolling distro, it will only "break" stuff during big updates, same as XP->Vista->7->8

#56 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:12

Another bug with gnome, today's the 8th of November (and it displays then when I hover over the time/date applet) yet click it and it shows today as being 8th December, click a date and it goes back to October... Just purely awful. Gnome and arch should both be ashamed.

#57 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:13

Another bug with gnome, today's the 8th of November (and it displays then when I hover over the time/date applet) yet click it and it shows today as being 8th December, click a date and it goes back to October... Just purely awful. Gnome and arch should both be ashamed.

Not sure how Arch should be ashamed.. it's a gnome bug. It's probably a localization issue of some sort. Is this with gnome shell? or? I run cinnamon and my date/time is correct.

#58 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 20:37

It might be a bug with gnome but the concept is why is such a buggy release on gnome in arch stable! That's my gripe, by all means have it in testing but having something that can't even get the right month under stable...
I've not got gnome-shell, it's gnome 3.6 in fallback mode, I tried mate on my laptop earlier and it shows the month fine, and now on my desktop it's got the same december bug.

#59 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 November 2012 - 22:14

Gnome is in the stable Arch because Gnome released it as stablet. and since Arch is a rolling cutting edge distro, they put stable gnome releases in their stable releases.

#60 jaylittle

jaylittle

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2012 - 00:32

For what it's worth, I just logged into Gnome 3.6 on my box and I'm not seeing any of the issues mentioned by the OP.

[1] Sound works great - no popping.
[2] Date displays correctly
[3] Volume Applet works great and using the trackpad scroll to change it works wonderfully
[4] Settings panel icons look just fine to me. This is on a 1366x768 screen.

Yeah so while I don't imagine many Arch people are using Gnome (I personally only have it installed due to the fact I use Cinnamon and Cinnamon requires it), Gnome 3.6 seems to be working fine on my box. It seems to me that the OP is suffering from other problems. Can't say I much care for Gnome 3.6 though. The fact they removed the menus from Nautilus is just... disturbing. Oh well. That's what Nemo is for :)