Photo

What the hell has happened to arch linux?

arch linux terrible systemd

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#91 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:36

Also I'm not being funny or anything, but how the hell do you change backgrounds in gnome 3.6 to your own picture? Right click desktop -> change background, opens gnome-control-centre on the background tab and it's got just one large button which you click and you have 3 tabs, go the middle one and the previous pictures I've used are there but I can't add/use any other pictures files, even dragging them in doesn't work? Is this honestly some late april fools joke or what!

click on ur name in the top right hand corner then click settings

in there click background :)

#92 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:38

Yep if I do this (maybe it's yet another gnome fallback bug) all I see is a large button, if I click it I can change wallpaper to wallpapers in gnome, backgrounds I have or a colour gradient, but I'm not able to add any backgrounds I haven't used previously, dragging them does nothing, there's no menu, etc. :(

#93 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 13 November 2012 - 13:20

Have you tried deleting your configs and restarting your X session? There's no way a standard Gnone install would be this broken. Have you checked for any .pacnew files related to Gnome?

#94 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 15:07

I haven't checked the backgrounds with a blank gnome/x session but all the other bugs I tried in a brand new arch install on my laptop and were present so I'd assume the background bug is present too. Well, it's not a bug, just there is no way I can see that makes it possible to add your own background!

#95 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 13 November 2012 - 16:05

So bunch of gnome updates.. none of which fixed my problem, and actually made it a little more glitchy in a way. Now for some reason some of the icons on my desktop have a White/Grey border around them. Not all of them do, just chromium and monodevelop.

#96 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 13 November 2012 - 16:06

Arch sounds like a great os to use lol

#97 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 16:09

If I get time to finish off this installer, Shift2's gonna be xfce or fluxbox only, absolutely no gnome in sight (apart from the GTK libraries)

#98 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 13 November 2012 - 16:57

isn't decisions like that supposed to be bases on a consensus...

#99 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 18:12

isn't decisions like that supposed to be bases on a consensus...

Yes, hence why the #2 winner is being used from http://www.neowin.ne...-the-de-debate/
(Cinnamin is being ignored because of it's dependance on gnome and having the same bugs)

#100 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:03

Well the consensus says that you should use Gnome in shift.

#101 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:17

Well the consensus says that you should use Gnome in shift.

And the consensus is gnome is borked and doesn't work (and they're happy to leave it like that).
Why're you so bothered anyway, you're not even working/helping with the project ?

#102 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 21:05

So I'm a potential user of the project. And technically the consensus is that the "fallback" solution you're using as your main DE despite fallback meaning, absolute las resort, not main working branch use at own risk if noting else works, is the ones that's broken, not actual Gnome, which won your poll.

What's the point of making a new distro, if you're not gong to listen to the not, you asked for, and you're going to be the only user?

#103 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 21:32

'Gnome fallback' does not mean 'gnome last broken unmaintained last resort ever do not use', it means 'gnome 2.x look and feel'.
If I'm the only user then I'm the only user, at the end of the day the idea of shift2 isn't to have a huge userbase - if it does then that's great but the whole point of it was to work as a team to get a better understanding of linux/gnu/arch and make things work and solve problems, OK so it hasn't really worked out that well yet due to other things taking priority with other people but it's there.

#104 pinprick

pinprick

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2012 - 21:52

Hehehe, so many people using the gnome desktop environment. As it is packed with many features the likelihood of it running bugfree is pretty low (even in stable versions). This is the main reason why I opt for windows managers and other software for extra functionality in bleeding edge linux distributions. Not to mention that they function way better in a whole. Awesome is awesome!

#105 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:11

I never used awesome because it's like a full screen where windows mishmash to take up the whole screen iirc? On 2+ monitors I can see it working well but on one monitor with a rubbish resolution it'd drive me nuts! (If awesome wm is the one I'm thinking of)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!