Distribution Release: Linux Lite 1.0.0, ideal first Linux distro

Jerry Bezencon has announced the release of Linux Lite 1.0.0, a beginner-friendly Ubuntu-based desktop Linux distribution with Xfce as the preferred desktop environment: "Linux Lite 1.0.0 'Amethyst' final for 32-bit systems with PAE support has been released. Linux Lite is free for everyone to use and share, and suitable for people who are new to Linux or for people who want a lightweight environment that is also fully functional. Linux Lite aims to show existing Windows users that Linux is not as scary as previously thought.

Distrowatch listing here - http://distrowatch.c...stribution=lite

Release announcement here - http://www.linuxdist...thread-501.html

Press articles here - http://www.linuxdist...thread-533.html

Xw3E5.png

Testimonials:

----------------------------------

ryanpcmcquen

Thanks! Excellent distro. I've tried a ton, and Linux Lite is so fast! I ran isohybrid on the iso and used the resulting iso to install onto my netbook. No issues so far.

rperitsky

congratulations on what appears to be a really fine distro!

I'm Fred and I'm from St. Louis. I've been a Linux user for close to 8 years now and have had quite a few different distros on my computer since that time, and I'm currently running CrunchBang. But yesterday, I downloaded Linux Lite -- and in my opinion, Linux Lite is Linux done RIGHT!

fredbird67

There are NUMEROUS things I love about Linux Lite:

Xfce is my favorite desktop, plus the single-panel layout along the bottom is my preferred layout, too.

Broadcom wireless worked flawlessly. Ubuntu and Mint really need to get their act together in this department.

The help y'all give on-screen is hands-down the best I've seen, which I'm sure will be most helpful for those new to Linux.

romulus

I needed a lite version for my wife's laptop and went for it. Her Windows xp has been bogging down this aged hardware and she agreed to give Linux a try. I ran into a lot of trouble trying to dual boot so I installed a different HDD and ran a clean install of Linux Lite OS.

It installed without a hitch and wifi worked right out of the box!

--Broadcom wireless has been impossible to configure on this laptop with other distros over the years (i.e it never worked until now)--

Thanks for a great distro my wife likes it alot - she's a total newbie to linux and was so exited to get a faster and smoother user experience out of this old laptop.

Would love to hear feedback from Windows users trying Linux for the first time as this is the primary audience the distro is aimed at.

Thank you :)

Are you ok Shiranui, you seem to be on the attack straight away. Such cynicism towards a distro that was created to try and help new people to Linux is counterproductive towards the goal of promoting awareness of linux based operating systems. You've probably no desire to use this, it wasn't created for existing Linux users, and as I wrote at the end it is feedback from Windows users looking to try Linux that is the most important kind of feedback to us at the moment. Thank you.

Just some feedback about the overall artwork and look.

1. I strongly suggest you use a patched freetype and fontconfig as default with sub-pixel rendering (slight hinting/rgb). The default fonts in any GNU/Linux just doesn't look good at all without a patch. Personally I prefer Infinality, but Ubuntu's patches are fine too. With infinality you can use a similar look to Windows cleartype.

2. As I understand you will probably rely on contributors for artwork. Have a guideline. For example, try not to have a logotype in the wallpaper. Use a smooth non-distracting default wallpaper. (See Ubuntu and OSX default wallpapers for inspiration.) Branding with a logotype can be an icon on the panel's so called "start-button" or "menu-button". Same with the default theme. Non-distraction themed themes. Look for something good on xfce-look.org with the right license. Make sure it doesn't have anything that screams "here i am" unless it's for something useful. Also make sure the theme works fine in both gtk2 and gtk3 applications (since xfce is now somewhat becoming a gtk2-gtk3 hybrid.)

And as for the desktop switcher in the panel. Are you sure it's needed? I think a Windows user who doesn't know much about interfaces can be scared if they accidentally click on it. They'll probably wonder where all their open applications went. :p I also believe it's a sore part on the overall look.

Are you ok Shiranui, you seem to be on the attack straight away. Such cynicism towards a distro that was created to try and help new people to Linux is counterproductive towards the goal of promoting awareness of linux based operating systems. You've probably no desire to use this, it wasn't created for existing Linux users, and as I wrote at the end it is feedback from Windows users looking to try Linux that is the most important kind of feedback to us at the moment. Thank you.

WTH is your problem? He said he was looking forward to trying it out. :s

For a distro with Lite in its name a 900+ mb iso sounds extreme. Ubuntu just passed the 700+ mark.

I would suggest to make the smallest iso possible without sacrificing xfce. Removing apps and optimizing the resources are always the best option, with a dialog providing instant download for required apps.

If it's based on Ubuntu I imagine Ubuntu store is still in it?

For a distro with Lite in its name a 900+ mb iso sounds extreme. Ubuntu just passed the 700+ mark.

"Lite" in this case not meaning the same as DSL... not lite on the file size, but lite on the challenges of linux.

I gave this one a try today on one of my laptops, and I have to admit, I was impressed! I might have to try this out on my older Dell C610 and see if it works pretty well on there (PIIIM, 1GBRam), considering I only use that machine as a remote desktop/network storage device (It's still kickin' pretty strong). I'll have to use PLOP boot to boot it from my LiveUSB stick, but I'm thinking this old machine just might have some more life left to it than what I give it credit for. Good job! (Y)

I gave this one a try today on one of my laptops, and I have to admit, I was impressed! I might have to try this out on my older Dell C610 and see if it works pretty well on there (PIIIM, 1GBRam), considering I only use that machine as a remote desktop/network storage device (It's still kickin' pretty strong). I'll have to use PLOP boot to boot it from my LiveUSB stick, but I'm thinking this old machine just might have some more life left to it than what I give it credit for. Good job! (Y)

Thanks for the feedback obi, much appreciated :)

Might have to try it out on my old XP machine.

http://www.neowin.ne...n-old-computer/

Hi Tyler, I read through the thread that you linked, this is certainly a 'cut down version of ubuntu' whilst still giving you good functionality out of the box. Your hardware is quite old, so I'm not sure how much success you'll have. Either way, I'd be interested to hear how you get on :) Cheers.

I agree with

Just some feedback about the overall artwork and look.

1. I strongly suggest you use a patched freetype and fontconfig as default with sub-pixel rendering (slight hinting/rgb). The default fonts in any GNU/Linux just doesn't look good at all without a patch. Personally I prefer Infinality, but Ubuntu's patches are fine too. With infinality you can use a similar look to Windows cleartype.

2. As I understand you will probably rely on contributors for artwork. Have a guideline. For example, try not to have a logotype in the wallpaper. Use a smooth non-distracting default wallpaper. (See Ubuntu and OSX default wallpapers for inspiration.) Branding with a logotype can be an icon on the panel's so called "start-button" or "menu-button". Same with the default theme. Non-distraction themed themes. Look for something good on xfce-look.org with the right license. Make sure it doesn't have anything that screams "here i am" unless it's for something useful. Also make sure the theme works fine in both gtk2 and gtk3 applications (since xfce is now somewhat becoming a gtk2-gtk3 hybrid.)

And as for the desktop switcher in the panel. Are you sure it's needed? I think a Windows user who doesn't know much about interfaces can be scared if they accidentally click on it. They'll probably wonder where all their open applications went. :p I also believe it's a sore part on the overall look.

I agree. Infinality makes a huge difference. I cannot stand using a distribution without it now. Also, I would at the very least include one or two extra themes. This is more of an XFCE issue, but the default themes are horrible. Personally, I would recommend lassekongo83's very own Zukitwo theme. I have used it on both Gnome and XFCE and it looks great. Good work on the naming conventions. Overall, I think this is a good release. If I were recommending a distribution to a newcomer, I may indeed mention Linux Lite.