• 2,340 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:53

Why hasn't anybody said Surface yet?

#17 cyrl

cyrl

Neowinian

• 800 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:55

One problem with that is it's twice the price of the other two, more functionality for sure but very difficult to justify for a £1000. A cheaper option than buying the Dell convertible would be to buy both the iPad and the Nexus 10 and see which she likes better and there'd be £150+ left over.

That is infact true. In this case I would go for the iPad though since I know even the non tech savvy people just use it easily. But expanding it like Apple TV etc. is needed. Isn't there a lightning to HDMI or video out?

#18 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

• 1,329 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 17:11

Just read my post, previous page.

That is infact true. In this case I would go for the iPad though since I know even the non tech savvy people just use it easily. But expanding it like Apple TV etc. is needed. Isn't there a lightning to HDMI or video out?

#19 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,652 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 17:21

#20 cyrl

cyrl

Neowinian

• 800 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:06

Just read my post, previous page.

There you go. One more advantage is that if you go for the iPad and she goes iOS everything will be in sync via icloud. No need to buy the same app twice from different markets or anything. And if she buys the Apple TV she can stream wireless from the iPad & iPhone.

#21 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

• 534 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:37

Thanks all for the responses, as I said I've (maybe stupidly) already got her an Android phone since she said she much preferred my new S3 to my old iPhone 4, so things like iCloud won't be a big draw. That's not to say I've ruled out the iPad though!

Thanks for the link to the iPad -> HDMI cables too, though being honest the price of those aren't that far from the price of an old second hand Apple TV and I'd opt for that every time since it'd be so much more convenient.

Hadn't considered the Surface before, will look at the video above and see what it's like, thank you - but to be honest I'm not sure I like the idea of having the mobile Windows 8 on it, seems a real shame when a proper Windows 8 version is just around the corner.

Still unsure what to go for. I need to speak with my dad with regards to streaming things to the TV. I know for iPlayer etc the iPad with Apple TV would be perfect, but I can't help but feel having flash would be far more useful, even if it does mean plugging the Nexus 10 / Ultrabook in via HDMI.

#22 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:31

Sky go isn't flash, it's silverlight, and Adobe have stopped providing Flash. And out of those options the Nexus 7 probably offers best value for money. There is also a sky go app for Android so you will still be able to stream regardless.

#23 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

• 534 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 13:43

Thanks, the Nexus 7 does look like a good option

Just realised my initial post was really confusing with regards to Sky! What I actually meant was that they sometimes stream football games (using flash) to their TV. I just used the Sky as a disclaimer that they do actually have Sky and ESPN, it's just for the games that aren't shown on TV :D

#24 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

• 534 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:50

Been looking at the Surface, not a huge fan unfortunately - think it has lots of potential, but as long as it's on RT it's not going to be anywhere near it's full potential. Shame that the full version isn't out until January... and an even bigger shame that Dell's ultrabook/tablet hybrid is £999! Seems very excessive for me, you can get (very basic) touch laptops for £400 now

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 00:44

I'd get my mom an iPad, and I am a huge Android fan. You get go wrong with an iPad.

#26 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

• 534 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:13

Thanks Growled :) iPad is very tempting to be honest, I think she'd get on well with it, although it's a shame you can't get Swype on it, and that it doesn't have flash/HDMI out