Why The iPad Mini Doesn

I think they should have priced it higher. Start at $399, or even $459. They know that the apple people will buy it, and they know that in 6 months when they release a newer one, people will buy that too.

While I understand that Apple does have stores and employees to pay, they must also understand that the competition is there and its getting better and better and in order to complete with them, you must either price your product at the same price as the competition or lower, not higher. I rather take a $50.00 and sell 10 million units rather than take a $100.00 and only sell 3 million.

Apple will still struggle to meet demand at the current price. If we go by your analogy, Apple would rather sell 10 million units at $100.00 each than sell 10 million units at $50.00 each.

It's redundant.

If you're gonna get an iPad, get an iPad. Why get the mini?

They said the same about the iPod Mini. Which went on to outsell the original iPod.

"Once you add in other costs involved with the device ? such as marketing, shipping, packaging, and more ? the Cupertino company would see very little profit from its tiny tablet."

They can more than make up for whatever losses with iTunes music, iPhone sales, desktop and laptop sales, normal iPad sales, retarded lawsuits, etc.

I wonder if there will ever be an Apple discussion thread where people aren't frothing at the mouth to point out how every single Apple customer is a "sheep" and clearly incapable of rationally selecting a tech product based on their needs and requirements.

And I'm also curious to know what makes Apple the bad guy, but other tech companies (such as Microsoft) the poor underdog, who deserve your vociferous support.

Tech fanboyism really is baffling.

Easy: Ask most people on the street why they bought and apple product and they will look at you blankly (like a sheep). Mos't don't even know there are competing products as most salesreps wont even bother asking if they want an iPhone or a smartphone, they just go out the back, grab the fruit and sell it.

Half of this issue is down to lazy sales staff.

Apple has a bad rep because they no longer compete on technology, they compete on patents (invalid or not is debatable) and just make themselves look arrogant with their ads and promotions.

People dont like arrogance, and since Apple is practically the dictionary definition... I assume you can put that together.

I'm not saying that some people buy their products because they genuinely want/prefer apple products, but MOST people buy them because they are 'cool'; not through any comparison of features or specs.

Samsung is making great roads into the 'cool' factor that Apple has, and to boot have superior features and specs.

"Once you add in other costs involved with the device ? such as marketing, shipping, packaging, and more ? the Cupertino company would see very little profit from its tiny tablet."

They can more than make up for whatever losses with iTunes music, iPhone sales, desktop and laptop sales, normal iPad sales, retarded lawsuits, etc.

That's not how business works though. You charge what the customer is willing to pay for the product.

There's a sweet spot where the price is just right. Charge too little and you don't make as much as you could...charge too much and fewer sales result.

You want the sweet spot where you charge enough so that you build only what you need (demand) and still have people buy enough to make the most money.

A lot of nonsense in this thread.

This whole sheeple meme is just another transparent device that punters use to make themselves feel better about their own choices - by putting down the alternative(s). There's nothing new to it. When Microsoft was king of the hill, Apple and Linux fans used to call Windows users sheep too. The brainwashed, unwashed masses who didn't know any better. It was silly then and it is silly now.

It's especially ironic to see each side call each other the exact same thing: "Sheep"

Hey I found the IPad Mini pricing just right that I now can finally afford the Verizon Wireless WIFI + Cellular Model, it will arrive in Mid-November by the way, Just FYI.

As a fan of Android, I don't really find $329 that bad of a price for an iPad Mini. Content providers Amazon and Google just happened to release their devices at crazy low prices to build a tablet user base, but you don't really see any other comparable devices matching their prices, either. Hardware companies are probably wary of a race to the bottom, but Google and Amazon don't have that problem (and from a consumer's standpoint, I'm not complaining).

I traded in my IPad 3 for the IPad Mini White/Silver 16 GB Wifi + Cellular (Verizon Model as I also have my IPhone 5 with Verizon as well) for $459.99 + Tax, which this is the first time that I actually am able the Wifi + Cellular Model.

• 2 weeks later...

honestly, apple is as aggressive with their component pricing as wal-mart and shares many of the same methods, but it constantly gets praise while wal-mart is the walking devil. Amazing what image can do to a company, allow them to have such high profit margins and have the people lining up to buy their products.

I'm not saying the products are not good, but they are higher priced than similarly speced models because people pay for image.

Nothing like that, it costs more because the sheep will pay the ripoff prices while the rest of us laugh at them

Would you really call someone a sheep in real life?

Does it matter if someone buys one? No. Not your money, not your concern.

According to iSuppli ...

FireHD $201.70

Nexus 7 $152

Why the iPad mini doesn't sell for $199. Simple, Apple wants > $100 profit per sale.

Microsoft Office DVD cost: $0.05... can you really base all cost on construction?

because people pay for image.

Do you pay for image? When you say "people" are you a person?

added: actually some things in business you do pay for an image... but a phone is so small and no one cares what you use, so I think most would disagree with you.

It's a status symbol just like a vehicle or a house now in a particular location. Do people buy Porsche, Mercedes BMW, Ferrari or anything like that because it makes financial sense? Not even close...

Could you buy a cheaper product and it work the same? Sure...I personally would much rather have something that (to me) feels like a luxury item than something that feels like it came from Wal-Mart's discount shelf. (Again, the principal of cars applies - a Honda Civic will get you from point A to point B but a Ferrari will do it in style).

I do agree with a previous past about fanboyisims... I find it hilarious that now Apple is the almighty evil greedy corporation that's responsible for late term aborted babies, world hunger, and whatever else is wrong in this world. I remember the time when people use to bash Microsoft as if they were the same way, and the hilarious part is half the people that are now bashing Apple are the same people who bashed Microsoft then have the audacity to call the Apple users SHEEP...pot meet kettle.

I believe people buy those cars you have listed because they can afford it.

I'm switching to the iPad Mini due to the convince of being small and portable. I've played with one already, and it has the same specs as my iPad 2 just better camera and smaller, it's perfect for me.

Apple has never done this, nor will they ever. Also, competing for the bottom dollar is not a sound business practice. Ask Dell or HP or Gateway how they're doing these days.

The iPhone and iPad (especially the iPad, since the iPhone was truly a groundbreaking product), when they originally were released, were not only the best available in the market, they were also the cheapest.