ms windows live messenger skype

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,694 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:25

Skype now is nice but i see in a few versions they will add lots of crap to it.

#32 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 567 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:24

I'm entirely unsurprised by this, as others in this thread have also expressed.

I don't expect MS will disallow WLM clients to connect, they'll probably just cease development of it. I'm reasonably certain you can still connect to WLM using old clients at the moment, and since it's the Messenger back-end that handles the IMs for connected accounts, I don't see why WLM would stop working unless MS actively blocks it.

Below story TL;DR version: Personally I am okay with this change as I am already using Skype to IM both work and friends.

My story, at work we used to use WLM due to its persistent groups functionality. However, one of our team members was unable to join the WLM Groups due to using a Mac (WLM clients for Mac do not support WLM Groups), so on a whim after a fresh recruit wondered why we didn't use Skype, I proposed a trial period to see if Skype worked better.

Originally, we kinda missed the custom smilies functionality, but due to the fact that all our team members use multiple computers (and in some cases also phones/tablets) to keep up to date with support, it made sense to stick with Skype due to its persistent online logging feature. The fact that we could log in from any computer anywhere and see what we just typed on the desktop before we left proved to be invaluable. Took no time at all before everybody agreed that Skype was the best option for us.

As soon as I discovered the Skype Beta 5.11 that had WLM integration, I stopped using WLM. It was a pain to maintain two separate chat clients just to keep up to date with everyone.

#33 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:21

I use trillian and have both skype and hotmail accounts in there.

#34 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,597 posts
  • Phone: HTC One S

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:36

Inevitable really, as soon as the Beta was available to merge accounts I jumped on that immediately, was fed up of having the Live suite installed and open when I mainly used Skype.

#35 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:49

Wonder if this means the various message dropping/online-but-offline issues will be copied across to Skype or if Microsoft will finally have a functioning chat program. Drove me nuts that since Messenger version 7 (I think) it couldn't reliably do the one thing it was meant to do.

#36 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:15

This move doesn't entirely surprise me but i'm not completely sure how I feel about it. On the one hand the live messenger suite has became rather bloated and ugly over time but on the other the skype client has always been more unreliable for me. Hopefully Microsoft will fix those issues before carrying out this merger.

#37 gawicks

gawicks

Neowinian

• 183 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:25

I have a small gripe with skype. It's the way it handles offline messages. If that was fixed I wouldn't mind switching to skype fulltime.

#38 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,006 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:27

My WLM account is practically useless now because everyone I know sticks to Facebook chat. If the client is discontinued I'll probably won't switch.

#39 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 22,442 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 November 2012 - 18:37

It's confirmed: http://blogs.skype.c...1/skypewlm.html

#40 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,210 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 19:05

Personally, I hope everyone starts using Facebook for all communication (apart from face-to-face talk in real life, of course), even in the business world. I aim to start using Facebook for all of my communication and I'm already having my emails forwarded to the Facebook Messages section. Facebook Messages isn't quite good enough to replace email yet, but it's getting there. I think it would be pretty cool if everyone used Facebook for all communication, but then I am a huge fan of it :)

#41 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,083 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:12

Personally, I hope everyone starts using Facebook for all communication (apart from face-to-face talk in real life, of course), even in the business world. I aim to start using Facebook for all of my communication and I'm already having my emails forwarded to the Facebook Messages section. Facebook Messages isn't quite good enough to replace email yet, but it's getting there. I think it would be pretty cool if everyone used Facebook for all communication, but then I am a huge fan of it :)

In corporate environments, there's a very strong reason why they prefer to keep business correspondence on mail servers under their own control. Facebook Messenger would be the next to last avenue to send over sensitive information!

As a substitute of texting it works fine, but we're then expecting everyone to have Facebook accounts when some people have valid reasons not to be on Facebook.

On topic, I'm fine with this decision. They ran the desktop client to hell since 2011. Ever since they kludged together contact management with what used to be Windows Live Spaces, and then opted to keep contact management on the web, something that used to be simple became an unnecessary headache. Not to mention the amount of alternative clients that broke and continue to break due to protocol changes.

#42 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 14,344 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:29

Calum... Dude... You REALLY need to stop smoking your socks! :p Facebook messenger is bleepin' rubbish! Also, it's utterly useless in a corp environment.

#43 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,210 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:37

Calum... Dude... You REALLY need to stop smoking your socks! :p Facebook messenger is bleepin' rubbish! Also, it's utterly useless in a corp environment.

I am being quite a bit optimistic :p especially as most businesses probably wouldn't agree with use of Facebook. I'd just like to see Facebook be used for all communication (as I don't mind sharing my Facebook profile with anyone in my company), but it probably has a long way to go, even for most people to consider using it instead of their current email service for personal email.

#44 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:14

We know who doesn't work in a corporate environment now.

#45 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXIX

• 116,109 posts
  • Phone: Samsung

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:18

I hope not, I am getting annoyed having to keep disable facebook chat. I prefer Twitter to communicate to friends.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!