ms windows live messenger skype

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#46 Bridgetf

Bridgetf

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:36

What's up with Microsoft telling us what to communicate with? Messenger, no longer.........only skype? Freedom? When YOU no longer have the messenger, I will find another similar source. YOU will not tell me HOW I'm going to communicate. This will have a negative impact on YOU!

#47 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,556 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:41

What's up with Microsoft telling us what to communicate with? Messenger, no longer.........only skype? Freedom? When YOU no longer have the messenger, I will find another similar source. YOU will not tell me HOW I'm going to communicate. This will have a negative impact on YOU!

They aren't telling you what to communicate with. Messenger will be gone, Use what you want. No one is telling you that you MUST use Skype.

#48 wotsit

wotsit

Neowinian

• 735 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:30

Having now switched, Microsoft appear to have gotten foolishly ahead of themselves.

There's basic WLM functionality just not in Skype, such as nudges. offline Facebook messaging, and Hotmail e-mail notifications.

hmmmmmm - odd decision!

#49 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,369 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:34

Having now switched, Microsoft appear to have gotten foolishly ahead of themselves.

There's basic WLM functionality just not in Skype, such as nudges. offline Facebook messaging, and Hotmail e-mail notifications.

hmmmmmm - odd decision!

Nudges are annoying.
Facebook can **** off out completely.
Hotmail email notifications, meh, get outlook or another email client and it'll replace that.

#50 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,557 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:24

Id rather see a consumer lync service, lync 2013 owns.

#51 YouWhat

YouWhat

Neowinian

• 193 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4s IOS 6.1.2

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:37

The problem I have with skype is there is no A-Patch for it, and according to their site, they are not going to be doing one for it either

#52 wotsit

wotsit

Neowinian

• 735 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:41

Can't seem to send files either, let alone view together?

#53 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:01

As a user I'm quite happy using Facebook for my communication. From a business POV however I wouldn't like a scenario in which my data is under someone else's control. I can't see Facebook replacing most business email any time soon.

#54 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,343 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:04

hmmmmmm - odd decision!

This was my opinion on the matter the whole time, the complete lack of features in Skype it'll only serve to push people to more
mature clients after they try Skype instead of WLM.

But I am also sure there will be a hack to change the client ID for the last version of WLM to allow it to logon, it should be a simple
enough hexedit to change the client ID, but that will only delay WLMs shutdown, but it'll give those people using WLM and MS more
time to get Skype's features closer in line to what they expect from the WLM service currently.

Of course they could pull a Windows 8 and tell us less features and basic look/functionality is better and that we're wrong for not
liking it. :shifty:

#55 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,660 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:22

This was my opinion on the matter the whole time, the complete lack of features in Skype it'll only serve to push people to more
mature clients after they try Skype instead of WLM.

But I am also sure there will be a hack to change the client ID for the last version of WLM to allow it to logon, it should be a simple
enough hexedit to change the client ID, but that will only delay WLMs shutdown, but it'll give those people using WLM and MS more
time to get Skype's features closer in line to what they expect from the WLM service currently.

Of course they could pull a Windows 8 and tell us less features and basic look/functionality is better and that we're wrong for not
liking it. :shifty:

They'll move to a more "mature" client? Becuz Skype doesn't do the kiddie stuff that WLM does, like winks and nudges? That's hilarious.

#56 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 580 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:26

They'll move to a more "mature" client? Becuz Skype doesn't do the kiddie stuff that WLM does, like winks and nudges? That's hilarious.

BUT MA GIANT PURPLZ FONT, I NEEDS IT!!1111

Git ta fook.

The fact that I can see up to 10x more actual text in conversations without being distracted by backgrounds or flashy fonts is one of the primary reasons why I support this change.

#57 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,776 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:34

Git ta fook.

The fact that I can see up to 10x more actual text in conversations without being distracted by backgrounds or flashy fonts is one of the primary reasons why I support this change.

Skype's contact grouping is almost non-existent compared to WLM's. Without that functionality, I just won't use Skype.

#58 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,343 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:35

I didn't mention those features at all, now did I, the only deal breakers for me are really just offline messaging, remote assistance and file transfering.

And since you mentioned 'becuz' I wouldn't mind seeing a built in spellcheck added.

Git ta fook.

I don't know who you've been talking to on WLM that sets their background images and text like that, but that's a class of friends issue
And a plus on the client, since it actually allows you to set crap like that.

#59 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,750 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:53

People still use MSN?

#60 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 580 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:13

I didn't mention those features at all, now did I, the only deal breakers for me are really just offline messaging, remote assistance and file transfering. And since you mentioned 'becuz' I wouldn't mind seeing a built in spellcheck added.

Offline messaging on WLM is crap compared to Skype, and you also cannot send files to contacts that are offline. That's a deal breaker for me.

Remote Assistance works better if it's done via TeamViewer or similar apps :)
Getting WLM's RA to work is a pain in the arse.

I don't know who you've been talking to on WLM that sets their background images and text like that, but that's a class of friends issue And a plus on the client, since it actually allows you to set crap like that.

How the baws is that a plus on the client? It has no purpose being in a chat client, and certainly not displayed to other people.

Skype's contact grouping is almost non-existent compared to WLM's. Without that functionality, I just won't use Skype.

Really?

I can create new contact groups, just like WLM. I don't see a single difference :huh: