Windows 8 selling really well here!

Ever since launch date (Oct 26th), I notice that a lot of stores are sold out of Windows 8 here in Toronto. At first I thought it was just low stock maybe, but the fact that I actually overhear other customers to this day asking the sales staff for a copy shows there's demand for it and it seems to be selling really well here. I found one quiet store that had only 1 copy left so bought it (since I wanted a copy of the last physical disc for the OS for my collection). For my other PCs I just bought the digital version on windows.com since it's a steal at $39.99.

Loving the new era of Windows this year :)

How about your local store experiences?

got it on technet, still available on there...no shortage in sight

Well technically, you have a limited number of licenses, so there can be a shortage.

its selling well because its cheap, once a lot of people install it, they will wish they didn't

So i assume your job is to speak for everyone? Well that is a huge releaife cause i cant make my mind up on anything so i will let you do it for me then since it is your Job to do so

So i assume your job is to speak for everyone? Well that is a huge releaife cause i cant make my mind up on anything so i will let you do it for me then since it is your Job to do so

lol trolls always seem to think they speak for the world. As for the OP I knew it would. Neowin isn't even 1% of the tech world so all the hate on this site was of no comparison to real world #s.

Plus considering VISTA has a higher userbase then mac and Linux combined what else will people get lol

• Like 2

At my local retailer, Windows 8 machines and "boxes" were sitting alone doing nothing all the time - except when a friend of mine broke the mouse after just loading a couple of Metro "apps" (yuck). Here, no one wants it.

At my local retailer, Windows 8 machines and "boxes" were sitting alone doing nothing all the time - except when a friend of mine broke the mouse after just loading a couple of Metro "apps" (yuck). Here, no one wants it.

you know why dont ya because you and your friend broke in after hours course none is gonna be getting windows 8 or a machine after hours silly There closed he he he

Ever since launch date (Oct 26th), I notice that a lot of stores are sold out of Windows 8 here in Toronto. At first I thought it was just low stock maybe, but the fact that I actually overhear other customers to this day asking the sales staff for a copy shows there's demand for it and it seems to be selling really well here. I found one quiet store that had only 1 copy left so bought it (since I wanted a copy of the last physical disc for the OS for my collection). For my other PCs I just bought the digital version on windows.com since it's a steal at $39.99.

What shops were those that ran out of copies of Windows 8? Curious to know if they were all the big box stores plus the smaller (cheaper) chains like CanComps and NCIX.

who said everyone, windows 8 will be like vista, will sell to an extent, but will go down in history as a flop

who said everyone, windows 8 will be like vista, will sell to an extent, but will go down in history as a flop

Well it sold 4 millions copies just software alone in 4 days so 4 million copies of windows 8 is huge in just 4 days so i beg to differ that it will sell somewhat matter fact it seems it has sold allot and continues to sell

• Like 1

I've been standing back and watching at our local Best Buy. The Apple section and the tablet sections are packed but almost no one goes to the Windows 8 section.

I would like to see sales from businesses and corporations on Windows 8. I think a majority of corporation are going to be using Windows 7 for a long time if they have even switched over from XP. Individual purchases of W8 will be from a younger age group 18-30. More of a gimmicky OS that people want to purchase to play with and they can tell their friends they have it. Not very functional for most, especially desktop users when looking at installing and quickly adapting and getting to work.

I've been standing back and watching at our local Best Buy. The Apple section and the tablet sections are packed but almost no one goes to the Windows 8 section.

Not what i'm seeing.. I'm seeing that most stores still have their Windows 7 pcs showcased and maybe have 1-2 windows 8 laptops that were merely upgraded windows 7 machines. The stores that do have windows 8 ultrabooks, desktops, all in ones and tablets with windows 8 are absolutely packed.

So for those of you who work at stores where they don't give a crap, you guys fail. If you work at a store that bothered to build out a windows 8 display and setup PC's with touch screens, you guys get it.

I would like to see sales from businesses and corporations on Windows 8. I think a majority of corporation are going to be using Windows 7 for a long time if they have even switched over from XP. Individual purchases of W8 will be from a younger age group 18-30. More of a gimmicky OS that people want to purchase to play with and they can tell their friends they have it. Not very functional for most, especially desktop users when looking at installing and quickly adapting and getting to work.

Can you quite it with the nonsense? You have no clue what corporations want and no clue what end users want. Windows 8 has a lot more even over Windows7 for corporate deployment, management and quite frankly, a lot of IT shops will be thrilled to push out windows 8 because management of infrastructures running WinRT apps is a lot less of a hassle than current win32 apps. There will be a learning curve, but people aren't idiots and learning windows 8 is quite often a lot easier than learning some kludgy sucky line of business application that people learn because its their JOB.

Virtualization, modernizing of apps to html5 and the ability to run remote desktops and remote applications is pushing many corporations to Bring your own device (BYOD) and quite frankly, nothing connects to BYOD any better than a Windows 8 system. Employees will just bring their own device and the apps/services will be virtualized and presented through a controlled fashion.

• Like 2

If Windows 8 is going to be like Vista, then where are all the pundits/consumers yelling complaints? Where is botched launch? Where are the constant delays in developing the OS? Where are the bug reports?

its selling well because its cheap, once a lot of people install it, they will wish they didn't

You are so right!! I bought the cheap upgrade and installed it when it came out. I had some guides to use for the new system that I thought would make the transition easier. After a week it came off and I am happily running Windows 7 again, a true desktop operating system, not one with a cartoonish start page.

You are so right!! I bought the cheap upgrade and installed it when it came out. I had some guides to use for the new system that I thought would make the transition easier. After a week it came off and I am happily running Windows 7 again, a true desktop operating system, not one with a cartoonish start page.

The new start screen is only as "Cartoony" as you make it, but at least its functional over the static nested mess of W7's.

The new start screen is only as "Cartoony" as you make it, but at least its functional over the static nested mess of W7's.

Yeah, I like the app part of the new start screen. Anyone that uses a phone or a tablet should easily get it.

Well it sold 4 millions copies just software alone in 4 days so 4 million copies of windows 8 is huge in just 4 days so i beg to differ that it will sell somewhat matter fact it seems it has sold allot and continues to sell

That was just upgrade copies as well. It didn't include the System Builder licenses (that now has a real Personal Use license for full installs), or the OEM machines sold with Windows 8 on there. This was purely upgrade licenses.

That bodes well for future sales. :)

I'm older than your age group, use my PC for real work, and I use Windows 8. I find it offers me better functionality in a few areas than 7, and I get more done more quickly from what I've seen in my personal usage case.

So there goes your entire post.

Yeah, I like the app part of the new start screen. Anyone that uses a phone or a tablet should easily get it.

i want my desktop to work as desktop, i don't want to wave my finger around and make smudge marks on my monitor.

PC and tablet are different worlds, and require diffrent GUI.

i want my desktop to work as desktop, i don't want to wave my finger around and make smudge marks on my monitor.

PC and tablet are different worlds, and require different GUI.

That's why you can still use a mouse and keyboard. No one is there with a gun forcing you to use a touchscreen. I don't even own a touchscreen PC and have Windows 8 and yet somehow I still manage to do things faster than on Windows 7.

So your post...not even close to true. I have no issues with opinions...but posting false information? Sorry, doesn't fly.

What shops were those that ran out of copies of Windows 8? Curious to know if they were all the big box stores plus the smaller (cheaper) chains like CanComps and NCIX.

The stores I checked out were big box stores: Future Shop, Best Buy, Staples and The Source. A quiet Staples nearby that not many people shop at only had 1 left. I haven't checked those smaller stores.

Also, the Best Buy here there's still lots of customers interested in Windows 8... all the PCs (new and old) look to have Windows 8 on them, and there's Win8 balloons and free weekly seminars available to teach people the differences and how to adapt to the changes. I love it! :)

PC and tablet are different worlds, and require diffrent GUI.

That's why you can still use a mouse and keyboard. No one is there with a gun forcing you to use a touchscreen. I don't even own a touchscreen PC and have Windows 8 and yet somehow I still manage to do things faster than on Windows 7.

So your post...not even close to true. I have no issues with opinions...but posting false information? Sorry, doesn't fly.

This!!! +999999999999999

People are just ignorant and not patient enough to adapt to it. At first, I didn't like it either, but now I seem to use it faster than Windows 7 myself. The 'glance and go' live tile on my Start Screen have actually become useful when needed, but I normally stick to the desktop most of the time.

• Like 1