• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:30

This marks my first week, being 100% of the time on Linux (Ubuntu 12.0.10 x64) Give or take a day.

As my assumptions were, 90% of the programs I use on Windows 7 are open-source. The other 10%, there were alternatives to. VLC, Firefox, OpenOffice (Libre Office), Pidgin, Minecraft, to name a few.

The more I use it, the easier it seems to be. Well, plus all the help from xorangekiller on here. Thanks, man. ;)

Knowing now that it is so simple to open any program by typing it's name. Terminal is becoming so much easier.

I started out with Unity, but after I learned it conflicts with Minecraft's FPS, I moved to Gnome Shell. I love the effect of "one window per app". Right now I have Firefox, VLC, terminal, and Pidgin on separate windows. Plus the upper left tap. It makes it so easy if you accidentally set a windows behind another. After I found out how to add Gnome Extensions, I found out how to add (or remove) notifications on the top right.

Once you really learn it, it's rather simple. And I've been a heavy Windows user since Win 98. I also have Ubuntu on my laptop, as well as on my father's laptop. He rather likes it as well. A lot faster than 7 HP with 2GB RAM. :)

Anyone else that uses Linux exclusively, feel this way?

#2 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:42

Yeah I've used linux fulltime on my laptop for some time now, I really like ubuntu/unity. Gnome-shell is good too. I won't be switching on my desktop any time soon though because I do a lot of gaming.

#3 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 05 November 2012 - 20:04

I have been using some Linux distribution for several years now. Early last year (2011) I settled on Debian with GNOME 2 as my favorite desktop. (When I was using Debian Squeeze I used GNOME 2.30 from the official repository, but I have switched to MATE 1.4 since installing Debian Wheezy.) I took a similar migration path as you, with similar reasoning. I no longer have Windows installed on bare hardware, although I keep virtual machines of it since I still do Windows development.

#4 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:32

yep i removed windows around feb this year and never looked back

I used Suse first because i had used it before but then moved to Fedora which i had also used before and stuck with it

I love it there nothing i cant do on Linux that i could do on a window box

Only thing that bothers me is Flash Sucks on Linux lol

#5 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:37

Flash and Gaming.

Only things you lose out on by going to Linux (also, sometimes software, but most people are happy to settle for alternatives). Other than that you gain a lot of performance.

If and when gaming starts to recognise Linux as a serious platform, I'll be jumping to Debian.

#6 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:39

yeah flash bugs me lol as i like playing online games on facebook lol

but i have found that using the html5 trial on youtube and bypassing flash is amazing

#7 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:40

Gaming and the Adobe Creative Suite - they've always been the deal breakers for me. If Adobe would produce Creative Suite (Photoshop & InDesign primarily) for Linux, I'd probably switch.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:42

Flash and Gaming.

Only things you lose out on by going to Linux (also, sometimes software, but most people are happy to settle for alternatives). Other than that you gain a lot of performance.

If and when gaming starts to recognise Linux as a serious platform, I'll be jumping to Debian.

Well you don't actually gain any performance by going Linux, in some cases you actually lose performance, unless you tweak down al the graphical settings to horrible.

#9 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:44

but i have found that using the html5 trial on youtube and bypassing flash is amazing

I do the same on Windows :p

Gaming and the Adobe Creative Suite - they've always been the deal breakers for me. If Adobe would produce Creative Suite (Photoshop & InDesign primarily) for Linux, I'd probably switch.

Gaming and the Office Suite for me. I use it too damn much.

Well you don't actually gain any performance by going Linux, in some cases you actually lose performance, unless you tweak down al the graphical settings to horrible.

... Seriously?

#10 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:50

... Seriously?

Yes, unless you run a Linux distro specifically for performance, which is gimped in many other ways there is no performance gain.

What many claim are performance gains is that they claim the Linux accelerated desktop rendered is faster, which is BS, it is in fact slower. but is often claimed to be faster because you can turn off AA, filtering, and all the other settings that make stuff look good when you move and resize, of course it's faster then,it's also ugly as sin. MS on the other hand, says, you need minimum this hardware for DWM composition, and it will have all these things enabled and there isn't anything you can do about it. It's about the user experience, if its going to look bad, there's no point in HWA composition.

Also Linux just can't get their compositor to stop tearing, though that's probably more to do with the bad OGL foundation it runs on. It's really annoying to move windows around and have them tearing all the time.

#11 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:53

Who cares about the rendering of the desktop :\ (also I have to say my personal experience in this regard doesn't agree with yours at all)

I'm talking about faster IO, better thread handling etc etc

Lots of benefits to Linux.

#12 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:55

Gaming and the Office Suite for me. I use it too damn much.

I just run the MS Office suite (2007) on Wine at work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Visio). I've no use for it at home.

Flash is working fine here (as fine as flash can be expected to work, that's it) but I sometimes just go with Minitube and Musictube instead of loading the videos on the browser. No flash, and it's much easier to set up playlists.

#13 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:08

I just run the MS Office suite (2007) on Wine at work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Visio). I've no use for it at home.

Flash is working fine here (as fine as flash can be expected to work, that's it) but I sometimes just go with Minitube and Musictube instead of loading the videos on the browser. No flash, and it's much easier to set up playlists.

Mine runs fine and the games run fast and smooth BUT...it uses loads of CPU and my processor just continues to heat up

usually slowing at around 80 Degree C

dont think i ever had that with windows

then again i never monitored my temps with windows lol

#14 Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't sugarcoat it because you'll probably eat that too&

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:14

used mint 13 exclusively on my laptop before it died a few months back, but hey linux is the bees knees. Can't wait for my new little netbook and Mint 14 :D Cheers guys, keep the linux love strong (Y)

#15 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:32

I use Windows 7 and will be migrating to Windows 8. I use many flavors of Linux using a Virtual Machine and you get the best of both worlds and it's easier to set up and easier to use than going solo.
I never really understood why anyone would want to go solo except maybe they don't have a valid license for Windows.

Some of the best Virtual Machines (VM) out there can really run many flavors of Linux really well and I use them in full screen and even set up by Brother Laser printer (it prints great) in Ubuntu 12.10 inside the VM.

VMware and Virtual Box are the two best if you are not on a Mac (In my opinion of course)