Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Impression on Linux

68 posts in this topic

Posted

This marks my first week, being 100% of the time on Linux (Ubuntu 12.0.10 x64) Give or take a day.

As my assumptions were, 90% of the programs I use on Windows 7 are open-source. The other 10%, there were alternatives to. VLC, Firefox, OpenOffice (Libre Office), Pidgin, Minecraft, to name a few.

The more I use it, the easier it seems to be. Well, plus all the help from xorangekiller on here. Thanks, man. ;)

Knowing now that it is so simple to open any program by typing it's name. Terminal is becoming so much easier.

I started out with Unity, but after I learned it conflicts with Minecraft's FPS, I moved to Gnome Shell. I love the effect of "one window per app". Right now I have Firefox, VLC, terminal, and Pidgin on separate windows. Plus the upper left tap. It makes it so easy if you accidentally set a windows behind another. After I found out how to add Gnome Extensions, I found out how to add (or remove) notifications on the top right.

Once you really learn it, it's rather simple. And I've been a heavy Windows user since Win 98. I also have Ubuntu on my laptop, as well as on my father's laptop. He rather likes it as well. A lot faster than 7 HP with 2GB RAM. :)

Anyone else that uses Linux exclusively, feel this way?

Posted

Yeah I've used linux fulltime on my laptop for some time now, I really like ubuntu/unity. Gnome-shell is good too. I won't be switching on my desktop any time soon though because I do a lot of gaming.

Posted

I have been using some Linux distribution for several years now. Early last year (2011) I settled on Debian with GNOME 2 as my favorite desktop. (When I was using Debian Squeeze I used GNOME 2.30 from the official repository, but I have switched to MATE 1.4 since installing Debian Wheezy.) I took a similar migration path as you, with similar reasoning. I no longer have Windows installed on bare hardware, although I keep virtual machines of it since I still do Windows development.

Posted

yep i removed windows around feb this year and never looked back

I used Suse first because i had used it before but then moved to Fedora which i had also used before and stuck with it

I love it there nothing i cant do on Linux that i could do on a window box

Only thing that bothers me is Flash Sucks on Linux lol

Posted

Flash and Gaming.

Only things you lose out on by going to Linux (also, sometimes software, but most people are happy to settle for alternatives). Other than that you gain a lot of performance.

If and when gaming starts to recognise Linux as a serious platform, I'll be jumping to Debian.
1 person likes this

Posted

yeah flash bugs me lol as i like playing online games on facebook lol

but i have found that using the html5 trial on youtube and bypassing flash is amazing

Posted

Gaming and the Adobe Creative Suite - they've always been the deal breakers for me. If Adobe would produce Creative Suite (Photoshop & InDesign primarily) for Linux, I'd probably switch.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='articuno1au' timestamp='1352277455' post='595303039']
Flash and Gaming.

Only things you lose out on by going to Linux (also, sometimes software, but most people are happy to settle for alternatives). Other than that you gain a lot of performance.

If and when gaming starts to recognise Linux as a serious platform, I'll be jumping to Debian.
[/quote]

Well you don't actually gain any performance by going Linux, in some cases you actually lose performance, unless you tweak down al the graphical settings to horrible.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Haggis' timestamp='1352277594' post='595303043']

but i have found that using the html5 trial on youtube and bypassing flash is amazing
[/quote]
I do the same on Windows :p

[quote name='Chicane-UK' timestamp='1352277600' post='595303045']
Gaming and the Adobe Creative Suite - they've always been the deal breakers for me. If Adobe would produce Creative Suite (Photoshop & InDesign primarily) for Linux, I'd probably switch.
[/quote]
Gaming and the Office Suite for me. I use it too damn much.

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1352277753' post='595303053']
Well you don't actually gain any performance by going Linux, in some cases you actually lose performance, unless you tweak down al the graphical settings to horrible.
[/quote]
... Seriously?

Posted

[quote name='articuno1au' timestamp='1352277884' post='595303055']

... Seriously?
[/quote]

Yes, unless you run a Linux distro specifically for performance, which is gimped in many other ways there is no performance gain.

What many claim are performance gains is that they claim the Linux accelerated desktop rendered is faster, which is BS, it is in fact slower. but is often claimed to be faster because you can turn off AA, filtering, and all the other settings that make stuff look good when you move and resize, of course it's faster then,it's also ugly as sin. MS on the other hand, says, you need minimum this hardware for DWM composition, and it will have all these things enabled and there isn't anything you can do about it. It's about the user experience, if its going to look bad, there's no point in HWA composition.

Also Linux just can't get their compositor to stop tearing, though that's probably more to do with the bad OGL foundation it runs on. It's really annoying to move windows around and have them tearing all the time.
1 person likes this

Posted

Who cares about the rendering of the desktop :\ (also I have to say my personal experience in this regard doesn't agree with yours at all)

I'm talking about faster IO, better thread handling etc etc

Lots of benefits to Linux.

Posted

[quote name='articuno1au' timestamp='1352277884' post='595303055']
Gaming and the Office Suite for me. I use it too damn much.
[/quote]

I just run the MS Office suite (2007) on Wine at work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Visio). I've no use for it at home.

[quote name='Haggis' timestamp='1352277594' post='595303043']

[/quote]

Flash is working fine here (as fine as flash can be expected to work, that's it) but I sometimes just go with Minitube and Musictube instead of loading the videos on the browser. No flash, and it's much easier to set up playlists.

Posted

[quote name='ichi' timestamp='1352278510' post='595303073']
I just run the MS Office suite (2007) on Wine at work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Visio). I've no use for it at home.

Flash is working fine here (as fine as flash can be expected to work, that's it) but I sometimes just go with Minitube and Musictube instead of loading the videos on the browser. No flash, and it's much easier to set up playlists.
[/quote]

Mine runs fine and the games run fast and smooth BUT...it uses loads of CPU and my processor just continues to heat up

usually slowing at around 80 Degree C

dont think i ever had that with windows

then again i never monitored my temps with windows lol

Posted

used mint 13 exclusively on my laptop before it died a few months back, but hey linux is the bees knees. Can't wait for my new little netbook and Mint 14 :D Cheers guys, keep the linux love strong (Y)

Posted

I use Windows 7 and will be migrating to Windows 8. I use many flavors of Linux using a Virtual Machine and you get the best of both worlds and it's easier to set up and easier to use than going solo.
I never really understood why anyone would want to go solo except maybe they don't have a valid license for Windows.

Some of the best Virtual Machines (VM) out there can really run many flavors of Linux really well and I use them in full screen and even set up by Brother Laser printer (it prints great) in Ubuntu 12.10 inside the VM.

VMware and Virtual Box are the two best if you are not on a Mac (In my opinion of course)

Posted

I have valid windows license for XP/Vista and windows 7

The reason i use Linux 100% of the time is
[list]
[*]I find it more stable
[*]I can do everything in linux that i can do in linux
[*]I does not cost me anything to upgrade to the latest version
[*]Constant updates and patches
[*]Less Malware and Viruses bother Linux
[/list]

Not because I don't have a valid windows lincense

Posted

I couldn't honestly say I find Windows unreliable. I run it on my desktop PC at both work at home and it honestly never, ever crashes. Yeah, back in the Windows 98 days it was a bit ropey but XP and now Windows 7 are absolutely bomb proof. It's only ever bad hardware that brings the system down for me.

Posted

being a die hard gamer at heart, always pushes me back to run windows at home. Im an IT pro through the day and 100% Windows env, at home i play with linux for a while then realise one thing, all my titles i play daily are direct X/D3D based.

until theres 100% cross platform or OpenGL is the mainstream, ill stick with windows. Everything else can be easily carried out in linux, yet D3D always brings me back to Redmonds babies.

to say Linux is more stable than Windows is a touch idealist, I support and run 185 end workstations (Winxp/win7) and 35 IBM Blade servers and ive yet to see a BSOD on any of them in near 6 years now.

Posted

I dont game at all really but yeah if i was a gamer it has to be windows

My last windows experience was Vista which was slow and buggy lol

Posted

[quote name='articuno1au' timestamp='1352278388' post='595303067']
Who cares about the rendering of the desktop :\ (also I have to say my personal experience in this regard doesn't agree with yours at all)

I'm talking about faster IO, better thread handling etc etc

Lots of benefits to Linux.
[/quote]

Well those are also not really true.

Posted

Hawk, if all you want to do is complain about performance loss in Linux, please get out of here. All the other people think differently. Do not take this offensively.

@Haggis: Think that was a typo, but:

[quote]I can do everything in linux that i can do in linux[/quote]

:laugh:

I heard Steam is migrating to Linux, so gaming will not be a problem.

Like Haggis said, I have valid licenses for all the Window OS's. Just everything I do in Windows I can also do in Linux. I find Linux to be safer, more streamlined, and updates don't take forever as well as no restart except for kernel updates.

Posted

[quote name='Mindovermaster' timestamp='1352301229' post='595303619']
Hawk, if all you want to do is complain about performance loss in Linux, please get out of here. All the other people think differently. Do not take this offensively.
[/quote]

I think Hawk is just sour that not everyone is using Windows and falling head over heels to get Windows 8. I run Windows 7 at home, however I have Arch installed on an older PC, and in VM's both at home and at work. I use cinnamon as the DE on all of them, as Clasic start menu / bar is where it's at.

I am not going to go to Windows 8, and if what people say is true about the direction of Windows I won't be going to 9 either. If by the time 9 comes out, and the move to linux by some big names really starts (as a tech push) then I don't see any reason for me not to start using Linux as a primary.

I've ordered a Raspberry PI Model B (512mb) which I plan to run Arch on and use it as a media center.
1 person likes this

Posted

Well, what can I say.. I started with Linux when I was a kid, manage to boot the zipslack version from my floppy on my P166 32MB ram and it was awesome. I remember trying to install X server and failing badly haha
After that I became an Ubuntu guy, got CDs since v8 to v10 LTS. But then something went wrong and Ubuntu now isn't what used to be. I have tested SEVERAL distribuitions (Debian, Fedora, Arch, you name it) and here are some toughts about a few:

- Fedora (runs great even with gnome 3, very stable)
- Debian (simply great, many softwares, easy to use and it gives me the option to install Gnome 2.3, which is amazing)
- Mint (a good approach, I like the LMDE)
- Fuduntu (Gnome 2 + stable Fedora core... no more words needed, brilliant!)
- CrunchBang (using it ATM, used it before, can't dislike it, light, fast)

Some WM

- Gnome 3: really good, intuitive, a big heavy but no big deal
- Gnome 2: one of the best, fast, light, customizable, just works
- Cinnamon: gnome 3 core with a gnome 2 feel... pretty, lots of plugins, easy to use and easy to customize)
- MATE: for those who wants the gnome 2 back, its the best way without changing distro
- XFCE: also a great gnome 2 feel, easy, simple
- Openbox: my choice ATM, cant go lighter than that, it's snappy

Current desktop at work (at home I'm with Fuduntu):

[img]http://i.imgur.com/xhwbZ.png[/img]

Posted

I've been on Kubuntu 12.10 x64 and it's awesome! The only time I boot into Windows is when I play a game.

Posted

I have to say, Windows is rock steady and has been for a long while.

Even my Vista experience was pretty good.
1 person likes this