Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mindovermaster

My Impression on Linux

68 posts in this topic

For me when it comes to linux i got tired with the tinkering or something breaking or a new release coming out and not working on my hardware.I also like to be in control of what i install i usally install the base version of desktop enviourments and work from there.

But linux seem to be going in a few direction am not keen on

1. What up with the 6 months release cyle jeez windows 7 lasts longer.Yes i know there longer supported one out there but they lack in packages aka centos.

2.There a few windows applications that i use that linux has no strong altervite for .While i could use a virtual machine to run them i don't see the point of am going to be in one os over the other

3.Flash as much is there is a linux version is not being supported by adobe anymore? Also am a very mild gamer.

Minus that i be willing to give it a try again.

1. CentOS is mainly for servers... Who owns a server and isn't able to get the new packages if needed shouldn't own a server.

2. Wine.

3. Flash is dying.

The way I see it, Linux means more freedom than Windows. It's like those rebels that all they do is "fight the system". :))

Seriously now, I've been using Linux (many distros) for years, but ONLY out of curiosity or to learn new stuff. I never had the need to "get away from Windows", because Windows gives me absolutely everything I need in terms of software, games, etc. And I can't say the same thing about Linux. Although some people are happy with alternatives, I have some apps that are Windows exclusive and I can't replace them on Linux. So that's a deal breaker.

Furthermore, I find Linux exciting to use only until I set it up the way I want (you know, first steps, installing apps, configuring the system, etc.). After that, I get bored with it and I find reasons to reboot in Windows (like font rendering, few games, etc.).

I can't say that Linux is crap, no way. It's fast, it's beautiful (if you tweak it to suit your needs), it's stable. But it's not Windows. :)

Font rendering is really bad out of the box in some distros, but I find ubuntu's font rendering to be excellent out of the box, I prefer it to windows font rendering. If you are using arch or fedora there is also infinality freetype packages easily available that provide excellent font rendering on par with windows (if not better)

@guitmz

1. While i agree on this there is only one option after centos and that to go with a more bleeding linux os

2. I Been thinking of trying this out again but for one or 2 my apps wine does not work for them

3. Untill it does they should still support it.

But that's how they kill these things today... stop with support..

a large number of apps works with wine, sorry if your specific one didnt :( maybe you can find anyone with the same issue and who managed a workaround?

yeah but centos pretty much have everything you may need already

Font rendering is really bad out of the box in some distros, but I find ubuntu's font rendering to be excellent out of the box, I prefer it to windows font rendering. If you are using arch or fedora there is also infinality freetype packages easily available that provide excellent font rendering on par with windows (if not better)

I think it's a matter of taste. I used (recently) Ubuntu and Mint, but I just hate how the fonts look on the system or the web browsers. I don't know how to explain it, maybe it's about ClearType, I don't know...

You know why they have new versions every 6 months? So the updates don't stack up like Windows does.

2 people like this

You know why they have new versions every 6 months? So the updates don't stack up like Windows does.

I Don't think this is the case for all of them. Some are doing it just to be bledding edge.Also there nothing stoping them redoing updated iso's.

in regards to font rendering, Linux does have some issues, the font renderign isn't system universa. so some apps will use good/bad system font rendering, and then some other programs will use a completely different(their own) font rendering. This is also a problem with cursors where some programs will use different cursors to the system.

This may not apply to all distros.

Kind of irrelevant as you're not supposed to reinstall widnows evcery 6 months or even every 12 or anything like that.

OEM versions come pre packaged with the latest updates rolled in when you start up your new computer. retail disks also tend to be semi regularly updated, but they're going away from full install disks now.

basically in General This only affects people/companies that have access to install disks with the latest updates rolled in anyway, either by themselves or a third party.

why would you punish yourselves like that and install Linux and remove windows. It makes no sense, unless you use some special software that only runs on Linux.

windows

looks better

is faster

has better software

has a big software library

has the best driver support

has better APIs

doesn't break as often as Linux does

doesn't require you to compile all this stuff all the time

doesn't require you to sit in the command prompt all the time to do a bunch of stuff

oh I get it, Linux has a bunch of commands that make you look like a badass computer wizard.

I've been a Windows user for the past 10 years and I still find posts like this to be infantile. I know Linux does still have a higher learning curve than Windows, but it's far less CLI dependant than it used to be.

in regards to font rendering, Linux does have some issues, the font renderign isn't system universa. so some apps will use good/bad system font rendering, and then some other programs will use a completely different(their own) font rendering. This is also a problem with cursors where some programs will use different cursors to the system.

This may not apply to all distros.

You could say the same about windows, font rendering is not the same in all windows apps. Some use the GDI cleartype rendering, some use WPF, some use DirectWrite etc...

I haven't yet come across any apps in ubuntu that show inconsistent font rendering, ubuntu seems to do pretty well in regards to consistent font rendering, at least from my experience. I haven't come across any apps using the wrong cursor either.

Kind of irrelevant as you're not supposed to reinstall widnows evcery 6 months or even every 12 or anything like that.

OEM versions come pre packaged with the latest updates rolled in when you start up your new computer. retail disks also tend to be semi regularly updated, but they're going away from full install disks now.

basically in General This only affects people/companies that have access to install disks with the latest updates rolled in anyway, either by themselves or a third party.

And yet some people only buy one when it comes out in retail. Everytime the need to reload, because of problems or whatnot, they still have to go through 1gb of upgrades.

With Linux, its updated to the latest drivers/software, in retail, every 6 months.

1 person likes this

Except retail disks, unless they've been on the shelf forever, are usually rolled up every 6 months or so. There where several retail disks of both Vista and 7, where new updates where rolled up in the disk.

Also with 8, that isn't really a problem with the built in refresh.

I to have switched to Ubuntu as my full time OS and I love it. The problem I had when I started this a week ago was over thinking the way Ubuntu works, everything is simple, clean and very easy to use.

You just were thinking too far outside the box, mate. ;)

Except retail disks, unless they've been on the shelf forever, are usually rolled up every 6 months or so. There where several retail disks of both Vista and 7, where new updates where rolled up in the disk.

Also with 8, that isn't really a problem with the built in refresh.

In my experience, the only time they update the retail disks is when a Service Pack comes out. And I haven't worked in retail, it's just common sense.

Actually there have been refreshes outside of service packs,

What, directly from Microsoft? I never saw a retail box that said Windows 7 HP updated to said date... Can you give a link to explain yourself?

They don't say that, there's nothign special about the boxes to mark them from other boxes, but some will say something like Vista SP2_2 or a date behind the SP. It's just on the small white label that marks the the actual product info.

So, In a store, its a hit or miss if you get one from September '10 or March '11? Normally, people will not look at the white label.

If you cannot give me an example or no one else can verify this, then what you are saying is untrue.