• Less Malware and Viruses bother Linux

Not because I don't have a valid windows lincense

#17 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:48

I couldn't honestly say I find Windows unreliable. I run it on my desktop PC at both work at home and it honestly never, ever crashes. Yeah, back in the Windows 98 days it was a bit ropey but XP and now Windows 7 are absolutely bomb proof. It's only ever bad hardware that brings the system down for me.

#18 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:01

being a die hard gamer at heart, always pushes me back to run windows at home. Im an IT pro through the day and 100% Windows env, at home i play with linux for a while then realise one thing, all my titles i play daily are direct X/D3D based.

until theres 100% cross platform or OpenGL is the mainstream, ill stick with windows. Everything else can be easily carried out in linux, yet D3D always brings me back to Redmonds babies.

to say Linux is more stable than Windows is a touch idealist, I support and run 185 end workstations (Winxp/win7) and 35 IBM Blade servers and ive yet to see a BSOD on any of them in near 6 years now.

#19 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:04

I dont game at all really but yeah if i was a gamer it has to be windows

My last windows experience was Vista which was slow and buggy lol

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 November 2012 - 13:21

Who cares about the rendering of the desktop :\ (also I have to say my personal experience in this regard doesn't agree with yours at all)

I'm talking about faster IO, better thread handling etc etc

Lots of benefits to Linux.

Well those are also not really true.

#21 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 07 November 2012 - 15:13

Hawk, if all you want to do is complain about performance loss in Linux, please get out of here. All the other people think differently. Do not take this offensively.

@Haggis: Think that was a typo, but:

I can do everything in linux that i can do in linux

:laugh:

I heard Steam is migrating to Linux, so gaming will not be a problem.

Like Haggis said, I have valid licenses for all the Window OS's. Just everything I do in Windows I can also do in Linux. I find Linux to be safer, more streamlined, and updates don't take forever as well as no restart except for kernel updates.

#22 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 17:45

Hawk, if all you want to do is complain about performance loss in Linux, please get out of here. All the other people think differently. Do not take this offensively.

I think Hawk is just sour that not everyone is using Windows and falling head over heels to get Windows 8. I run Windows 7 at home, however I have Arch installed on an older PC, and in VM's both at home and at work. I use cinnamon as the DE on all of them, as Clasic start menu / bar is where it's at.

I am not going to go to Windows 8, and if what people say is true about the direction of Windows I won't be going to 9 either. If by the time 9 comes out, and the move to linux by some big names really starts (as a tech push) then I don't see any reason for me not to start using Linux as a primary.

I've ordered a Raspberry PI Model B (512mb) which I plan to run Arch on and use it as a media center.

#23 guitmz

guitmz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 November 2012 - 18:05

Well, what can I say.. I started with Linux when I was a kid, manage to boot the zipslack version from my floppy on my P166 32MB ram and it was awesome. I remember trying to install X server and failing badly haha
After that I became an Ubuntu guy, got CDs since v8 to v10 LTS. But then something went wrong and Ubuntu now isn't what used to be. I have tested SEVERAL distribuitions (Debian, Fedora, Arch, you name it) and here are some toughts about a few:

- Fedora (runs great even with gnome 3, very stable)
- Debian (simply great, many softwares, easy to use and it gives me the option to install Gnome 2.3, which is amazing)
- Mint (a good approach, I like the LMDE)
- Fuduntu (Gnome 2 + stable Fedora core... no more words needed, brilliant!)
- CrunchBang (using it ATM, used it before, can't dislike it, light, fast)

Some WM

- Gnome 3: really good, intuitive, a big heavy but no big deal
- Gnome 2: one of the best, fast, light, customizable, just works
- Cinnamon: gnome 3 core with a gnome 2 feel... pretty, lots of plugins, easy to use and easy to customize)
- MATE: for those who wants the gnome 2 back, its the best way without changing distro
- XFCE: also a great gnome 2 feel, easy, simple
- Openbox: my choice ATM, cant go lighter than that, it's snappy

Current desktop at work (at home I'm with Fuduntu):

Posted Image

#24 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 November 2012 - 18:10

I've been on Kubuntu 12.10 x64 and it's awesome! The only time I boot into Windows is when I play a game.

#25 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 November 2012 - 18:16

I have to say, Windows is rock steady and has been for a long while.

Even my Vista experience was pretty good.

#26 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

Posted 07 November 2012 - 18:29

I have to say, Windows is rock steady and has been for a long while.

Even my Vista experience was pretty good.

Vista performance was sluggish in a few cases, but it was a huge leap in 'intelligence' for Windows at the time. Vista finally had a troubleshooter that--get this--sometimes actually fixed the problem. It tried to do too much in one release, though, and needed Windows 7's development cycle to clean things up.

But this is a Linux forum, and OS choice tends to cause people to band together in weird factions of like-minded opinions that feed each other into deeper ignorance. Your die-hard Linux converts will know practically nothing about Windows technology, just as die-hard Windows users are utterly baffled by the Linux terminal, and die-hard Mac users think you refrigerate toast to make bread.

People today are running on outdated opinions. You have the guy above who hasn't used Windows since Vista and still has an opinion. You have anyone who ever makes a BSOD reference or talks about viruses. More than anything, no matter what the POV, you'll find someone who claims to be the head of IT for a major company with hundreds of employees and has tons of anecdotal evidence supporting his conclusion that x is y because z, and none of this stuff ever goes anywhere.

#27 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 07 November 2012 - 18:48

I use only linux though I've got a single windows server VM and a windows 7 VM (to do uni work on, they have a pretty stupid upload system that only accepts docx), other than that I just use linux! It's all fine and dandy when it's working but when something goes quite wrong it's a complete pain in the arse to fix :p.
But yeah I have no problems with it, steam runs fine on wine, been playing skyrim on it a bit lately, runs ok apart from the green water bug (which is a GFX bug not linux/wine) and even runs fine with CPU cores on powersave mode ;)

#28 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 18:57

Well those are also not really true.

I'm not trying to kick anything up, but Linux runs a lot better on lower end or older computers. Take it from me: http://www.neowin.ne...n-old-computer/

I've been running #! with XP on my old secondary here with zip problems. Kubuntu is also faster than 7 on my main rig in terms of boot time, launching apps, etc.

#29 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:05

Windows 8 Pro WMC is free. Key is legally provided by Microsoft till 31st Jan 2013.
You can perform a fresh install with that free upgrade key. (If you know where to look for instructions.)

Grey area but beats Linux is free argument.

I personally dual boot latest Ubuntu and use it for movies and music. I use windows for using MS Office and few govt approved Accounting softwares.

#30 simrat

simrat

pooonjabi!

• Phone: Nexus 5 (stock)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:06

Triple booting Archbang with Windows 8 and lion on my main rig, Its snappy and fast, feels really light. It was pain in arse to get arch run properly at first, But now loving it. Cant make switch to linux though as applications i depend on like Autodesk suit, Adobe creative Suite and other CG applications are windows and OSX only. Plus i love my games, and cant take the headache of wine when you can simply play them on Windows.