• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 07 November 2012 - 22:58

Kind of irrelevant as you're not supposed to reinstall widnows evcery 6 months or even every 12 or anything like that.

OEM versions come pre packaged with the latest updates rolled in when you start up your new computer. retail disks also tend to be semi regularly updated, but they're going away from full install disks now.

basically in General This only affects people/companies that have access to install disks with the latest updates rolled in anyway, either by themselves or a third party.

And yet some people only buy one when it comes out in retail. Everytime the need to reload, because of problems or whatnot, they still have to go through 1gb of upgrades.

With Linux, its updated to the latest drivers/software, in retail, every 6 months.

#62 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:00

Except retail disks, unless they've been on the shelf forever, are usually rolled up every 6 months or so. There where several retail disks of both Vista and 7, where new updates where rolled up in the disk.

Also with 8, that isn't really a problem with the built in refresh.

#63 +Matthew

+Matthew

Software Engineer

• Phone: Black Galaxy S5

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:40

I to have switched to Ubuntu as my full time OS and I love it. The problem I had when I started this a week ago was over thinking the way Ubuntu works, everything is simple, clean and very easy to use.

#64 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 15:12

You just were thinking too far outside the box, mate. ;)

Except retail disks, unless they've been on the shelf forever, are usually rolled up every 6 months or so. There where several retail disks of both Vista and 7, where new updates where rolled up in the disk.

Also with 8, that isn't really a problem with the built in refresh.

In my experience, the only time they update the retail disks is when a Service Pack comes out. And I haven't worked in retail, it's just common sense.

#65 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 15:22

Actually there have been refreshes outside of service packs,

#66 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 15:34

What, directly from Microsoft? I never saw a retail box that said Windows 7 HP updated to said date... Can you give a link to explain yourself?

#67 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 15:41

They don't say that, there's nothign special about the boxes to mark them from other boxes, but some will say something like Vista SP2_2 or a date behind the SP. It's just on the small white label that marks the the actual product info.

#68 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2012 - 15:47

So, In a store, its a hit or miss if you get one from September '10 or March '11? Normally, people will not look at the white label.

If you cannot give me an example or no one else can verify this, then what you are saying is untrue.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!