Calling all Retina MBP 15 inch owners for a favour

Hello Neowin people,

I ordered the rMBP the other day (switching from PC to Mac, first time) and was quite excited when i decided to look into the burn-in issue and learned all about the samsung and LG issue (samsung doesnt have burn-in, LG does)

I'm worried that I'll get an LG screen and 3-5 months later see the burn-in issue. I have yet to see any forum on the internet where there is a retina owner who has an LG screen for longer than 5 months and have no issues.

Probably because they wouldnt go onto the thread if they didnt have an issue, no one would google screen-burn in their spare time (maybe)

My favour to you all is:

Would you be able to copy paste the bottom line into terminal and see what comes up.

If it starts with LP.... then its LG and if its LSN.... its a samsung.

and for the LG owners could you please describe your experience? (How long youve had it, any issues) Id like to see if its at all possible that LG owners dont get screen-burn in, or if theyre doomed from the beginning.

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

I know im paranoid as, but it is my first mac and i did just spend a lot.

Cheers guys

Some LGs will get it, some don't - however, in many respects, the LG is a far superior panel - if you don't go running a test designed to show up something you will never see in real life usage that is.

And as for demanding a Samsung - you can't. There's no way ;). Just be happy with your new machine!

Mines LG. In actual usage, to my eyes, I see no issues at all. Nice crisp screen nothing out of the ordinary. But its only a month old.

I have not run any tests though, didn't see the point. Many people online seemed to be getting their rMBPs, running tests, finding a defect then returning them.... some people had done this as many as 3 times! For things which seemed to be pretty minimal.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Since I cannot edit. Looks like this issue is an accepted part of IPS for Apple. You can either have IPS with some ghosting, or poor viewing angles (Samsung). I think Samsung panels are becoming more few and far between though now since Apple are cutting ties.

I've been using my 15-inch rMBP with Samsung (LSN) display. Mine was built to order two weeks ago (upgraded memory and processor). No issues here, amazing display, remarkable performance (upgrading from an iMac 27-inch Late 2009).

Like the OP, I was quite nervous after reading many threads of people paying upwards for $2500 for an inferior computer, however I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Don't forget to pickup AppleCare to extend your warranty! :)

Edit: Just noticed your from NZ. I've heard that most of the rMBPs shipped in Asia Pac are using Samsung displays.

The number of people online complaining is far less than the number of people offline not complaining. Ignore stats from a few Internet nerds and enjoy your machine. If it develops a fault Apple will sort it. :)

• Like 1

Did you RETINA owners notice the header is no longer pixelated? :p

I also noticed the favicon looks awesome on my bookmark bar, it really stands out because the rest are low-res (even mac-rumors, fail).

on topic, i have an LG and suffer the image burn, i'm taking it back next week for a replacement. see image, it's blurry but you can see the address bar on the browser on the gray wallpaperIMG_0446.jpg