• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:07

comet was so much better than currys :/

I found many times that comet was cheaper for the exact same items, got a PVR for £100 less and the shops were only 200 metres or so apart.

#17 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,357 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:31

I found many times that comet was cheaper for the exact same items, got a PVR for £100 less and the shops were only 200 metres or so apart.

Hahaha, I always found it the other way around! :p weird

#18 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

• 882 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:42

haha I spent about £12 on a HDMI cable at Comet...
:rofl:

Yes, well done for spending upto £11 more than you needed to. You could get an HDMI cable from Poundland for a quid
and not notice the difference between that and much more expensive cable. IMO, anyone that willingly spends more
than a fiver for a normal 1-2 metre HDMI cable, needs their heads read by a professional.

Anyone willingly spending £30+ for a similar length of HDMI cable is a gullible money wasting idiot.

#19 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian

• 1,093 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:10

It may have been cheaper but I now find that I rarely go into stores to buy electronics. 90% of the time I can find cheaper products on the internet. It's no surprise that stores like this lose business and go into administration. I feel for those losing their jobs those.

Bring on the sales hopefully.

#20 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,313 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:51

I think I got my first Playstation from Comet way back when. Thinking about it, the fact that I would get excited about a trip to Comet or Currys was probably a good indicator that I was going to end up in IT. All those electronics, all those buttons to push!

This is sad news for my nostalgia. :(

#21 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,565 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:59

On the website...Sale Coming soon. But yeah sucks to be those guys!

On the website...Sale Coming soon. But yeah sucks to be those guys!

#22 OP Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 17:05

Comet staff offered Christmas jobs by Dixons

The electrical chain Dixons is offering Christmas jobs to hundreds of Comet staff who face redundancy because their firm is insolvent.

Comet's administrators, appointed last week, are keeping its stores open in the hope of finding a buyer.

But the outlook for the 7,000 staff is bleak and they all face potential redundancy.

Sebastian James, chief executive of Dixons Retail, said 500 Comet staff had already approached his firm.

"We are taking on a total of 3,000 people -2,000 in the stores," he told the BBC.

"We have delayed our recruitment so that Comet colleagues who want to join our stores can get a chance to do so.

"We are hoping we will get as many as possible of the Comet colleagues to join us," he added.

Mr James explained that the Comet staff were attractive to Dixons because they already know about its business - which includes Currys and PC World - its customers, and the products it sells.

However he said that Dixons would not be trying to buy any Comet stores from the administrators.

"As we look across the country we are pretty much on all the same parks they are, so it doesn't really make sense for us to do that," he said.

#23 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,357 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 07 November 2012 - 18:45

Ah it's good that dixens are helping out with getting people temp jobs at least!

#24 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• 2,486 posts
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 07 November 2012 - 18:55

Haha, they posted adverts this week for Christmas staff so I applied. Needless to say I don't think that application will be going anywhere soon :p

#25 xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

Neowinian Senior

• 2,479 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:01

Ah it's good that dixens are helping out with getting people temp jobs at least!

i hope they weed out the staff that know jack all about the products they sell.
i was looking for a new lightweight laptop and the guy i was dealing with tryed to convince me that a "mac book air" was the way togo
because apple sell 12TB hdds apparently.

#26 OP Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:03

Haha, they posted adverts this week for Christmas staff so I applied. Needless to say I don't think that application will be going anywhere soon :p

Just tell them you got laid off from comet ;)

#27 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,885 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:16

i hope they weed out the staff that know jack all about the products they sell.
i was looking for a new lightweight laptop and the guy i was dealing with tryed to convince me that a "mac book air" was the way togo
because apple sell 12TB hdds apparently.

In my experience people who work in those shops aren't taught to know their technology, they're taught to talk people that don't know what they're doing into buying things they don't really need.

#28 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

• 25,346 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:30

Comet staff offered Christmas jobs by Dixons

Good stuff (Y)

#29 xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

Neowinian Senior

• 2,479 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:31

In my experience people who work in those shops aren't taught to know their technology, they're taught to talk people that don't know what they're doing into buying things they don't really need.

that may be true in some cases but to be told a total pack of lies by some idiot who would find tieing his shoe laces a major crypton factor challenge
that such devices are available is unacceptable and breaks several trading laws.

anyway this so called "firesale" is nothing to get excited about big ticket item stock would have been sold off to bigger stores. people cant compare the hp touchpad fire-sale to this kind of sale because this is a totaly different situation.

websites reporting this firesale are poping up all over the web like mushrooms. so be carful about what sites your looking at its an ideal time for
malware and virus coders to take advantage of people who think they are onto a deal.

#30 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,676 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:46

The reason why comet and others go out of business is because amazon pay ZERO tax. How can a company compete with that, especially if they have to pay for premises too.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!