microsoft surface

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#16 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 06 November 2012 - 19:26

I have the same issues with my ASUS TF700; supposedly one of the flagship Android tablets. Launching apps take split seconds longer, and changing orientation takes a second to register. Switching between apps also lags behind. Where as my Galaxy S3 is super responsive and has very little if any noticeable lag doing the same functions.

I was considering switching to a windows 8 tablet, but I think I'll wait until the hardware catches up.

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 November 2012 - 19:33

These same issues are all prevalent in iOS as well, they just do a better job of hiding it.

#18 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:10

I don't like Surface, it's **** for me. So said, I don't like it because the ARM architecture is useless and worthless for my computing needs, not because I can't spare a half-second to switch or load some crappy micro-"app" for wasting my time on the absolute nothingness those "smart" mobile devices are designed around....

#19 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:17

If they release RSAT for it ill be all over it

#20 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:33

I always interpreted it (on iOs and Android) as a "dead zone" like function, a buffer if you will, to make sure you rotated on purpose.

Yes, it's an intentional delay to make sure you really want the screen to rotate. It's very common for people to mistake this for lag.

I don't like Surface, it's **** for me. So said, I don't like it because the ARM architecture is useless and worthless for my computing needs, not because I can't spare a half-second to switch or load some crappy micro-"app" for wasting my time on the absolute nothingness those "smart" mobile devices are designed around....

Why are you unloading on Surface? Why not say "I don't like ARM-based devices like Surface, iPad, and Android, it's **** for me"?

It's not really the ARM architecture getting in your way, it's the incompatibility with desktop apps - even if they are .NET and completely architecture independent. I have a feeling that Windows RT 9 will make the platform incredibly powerful and we'll start to see desktop computers based on ARM designs.

#21 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:37

i think someone is just trying to come up with reasons to tell people that it is a horrible device.

#22 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:53

Why are you unloading on Surface? Why not say "I don't like ARM-based devices like Surface, iPad, and Android, it's **** for me"?

It's not really the ARM architecture getting in your way, it's the incompatibility with desktop apps - even if they are .NET and completely architecture independent. I have a feeling that Windows RT 9 will make the platform incredibly powerful and we'll start to see desktop computers based on ARM designs.

I'll put it this way: Surface is a blatant, unbearable betrayal of the general purpose, open computing platform the "Wintel" standard has been for me during the latest couple of decades. The ARM-based Microsoft uber-**** is unforgivable, for me.

And regarding the ARM-based "desktop computers": I have x86 software archives, I play x86 games, I need x86 software, programs and applications, I won't even consider a "general purpose" ARM device a proper computer because until now, ARM chips have been implemented in castrated machines (a machine that depends on "app store" on-line remote services is a castrated machine, imo) and never in computers.

If the big corporations want a "cloud war" over digital data ownership, I'm pretty much armed already and I won't spare a single bullet against this "mobile cloud on-line tablet smartphone app store" crap.

#23 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:00

I'll put it this way: Surface is a blatant, unbearable betrayal of the general purpose, open computing platform the "Wintel" standard has been for me during the latest couple of decades. The ARM-based Microsoft uber-**** is unforgivable, for me.

And regarding the ARM-based "desktop computers": I have x86 software archives, I play x86 games, I need x86 software, programs and applications, I won't even consider a "general purpose" ARM device a proper computer because until now, ARM chips have been implemented in castrated machines (a machine that depends on "app store" on-line remote services is a castrated machine, imo) and never in computers.

If the big corporations want a "cloud war" over digital data ownership, I'm pretty much armed already and I won't spare a single bullet against this "mobile cloud on-line tablet smartphone app store" crap.

Nobody ****ing cares, dude.
Other people have different needs/wants. Deal with it.

#24 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:01

May be stop whining and try out Surface Pro?

#25 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:04

The King of GnG for President! I think I actually feel the same somewhere very deep down inside :shiftyninja:

#26 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:04

Nobody ****ing cares, dude.
Other people have different needs/wants. Deal with it.

And I don't give a **** about other people's needs. Well, at least until someone starts yelling at me that my way of using computers and technology is old, "legacy", out of touch and other kind of kind things. And Surface is the Microsoft way of saying these things to me, and I'm not happy with that.

#27 OP Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:14

And I don't give a **** about other people's needs. Well, at least until someone starts yelling at me that my way of using computers and technology is old, "legacy", out of touch and other kind of kind things. And Surface is the Microsoft way of saying these things to me, and I'm not happy with that.

You are a reporter for Neowin, a tech site, and that's your attitude towards technology?
"If I don't like it, it's crap?"

#28 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:22

You are a reporter for Neowin, a tech site, and that's your attitude towards technology?
"If I don't like it, it's crap?"

Yep. What a fantastic asset to Neowin.

#29 glen8

glen8

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:33

Yes, I've often said to myself when switching my iPad from portrait to landscape............I want that second of my life back!!!!! You know, I'm so busy with life that I can't wait FOR ONE SECOND!

Hell, I haven't even got time to blink these days. That blackness which interrupts your day when blinking is REALLY annoying me.

#30 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:39

This is like the 3rd or 4th time I've seen you enter a thread and share your opinion on something you won't even care to use, play, or own. I don't want to call you out each time in each thread, let alone look like a jerk as if I'm stalking you just to say that, but it's getting pretty damn old.

As someone who doesn't own a Surface, I'd much rather see the opinions of those who've used it first hand for my own decision as a consumer. Don't really care about whatever soapbox you're standing on regarding your beliefs and ideals for the direction of technology...