• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:39

I suspect GnG has been angry since DOS went away. :laugh:

#32 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:00

And I don't give a **** about other people's needs. Well, at least until someone starts yelling at me that my way of using computers and technology is old, "legacy", out of touch and other kind of kind things. And Surface is the Microsoft way of saying these things to me, and I'm not happy with that.

/care

#33 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:23

I don't think people understand what lag is....an intentional delay when rotating the screen is not lag.

#34 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:30

I'm interested in the Surface Pro since I prefer to stay with the x86 architecture if I have a choice. Nothing against ARM though, more-so just the compatibility issues. I wouldn't exactly be upset if I got a Surface RT though.

I do agree with GnG's issues with application lock-down due to appstores. This hasn't really become an issue for me yet, but I just have a feeling it will be in the future and I'm not okay with this. I really didn't think Windows would go that way, but it very well might. Luckily for me there are alternatives to Windows that I'm completely comfortable with. I do hope though that appstores go away, it seems illogical to support them from my point of view.

#35 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:31

I used the Surface in person for the first time today and I'm shocked at how bad of a job Microsoft did with this device. I'm very glad I didn't buy it this time around is all I can say. They need to fix a lot of problems and I think they might need a hardware upgrade to do so.

#36 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:48

I used the Surface in person for the first time today and I'm shocked at how bad of a job Microsoft did with this device. I'm very glad I didn't buy it this time around is all I can say. They need to fix a lot of problems and I think they might need a hardware upgrade to do so.

Do you have anything to back this up, or are you just making a pointless statement that no one can take anything from? I honestly can't see how one day of use (I assume less than one hour, infact) makes you entitled to such an opinion, but maybe it's actually horrific, and I'd actually like sound reasoning as to why?

Most people just don't like the change it seems, and surprisingly, it's the people who are self-proclaimed 'tech people'. For once I'd like these same people to explain what it is besides the graphical alterations that make Windows 8 so bad. Is it the Control Panel? Does the API make things harder? Are there security issues like open ports, bad default network configurations, bad networking in general at the john doe user level? Is it difficult to multi-task? Does it scream at you for walking around naked?

WHY is it bad? No one cares that you dislike it.

#37 fsX

fsX

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:52

Wow, that was very specific. You could be a writer for neowin's front page.

#38 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:54

I could see the lag in the iPad 3 and a little bit of lag on the Surface when I was in Word, but both devices were usable.

#39 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:56

I call BS. I haven't met a single person that wasn't downright impressed by the Surface and didn't want to buy one after playing with mine.

#40 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:13

Do you have anything to back this up, or are you just making a pointless statement that no one can take anything from? I honestly can't see how one day of use (I assume less than one hour, infact) makes you entitled to such an opinion, but maybe it's actually horrific, and I'd actually like sound reasoning as to why?

Most people just don't like the change it seems, and surprisingly, it's the people who are self-proclaimed 'tech people'. For once I'd like these same people to explain what it is besides the graphical alterations that make Windows 8 so bad. Is it the Control Panel? Does the API make things harder? Are there security issues like open ports, bad default network configurations, bad networking in general at the john doe user level? Is it difficult to multi-task? Does it scream at you for walking around naked?

WHY is it bad? No one cares that you dislike it.

I'm not against change, so stop being presumptuous. Not liking a device isn't indicative of my desire to deal with change. If anything, I feel Windows 8 is great on a tablet, so I'm not sure where you get this bias from.

Anyway, the lag was too much and was present everywhere. Once you use the Surface you'll notice the lag without question and it isn't any fun. I'm also very unsure why they put the full Desktop in there with everything when you can't actually install Windows applications. It only causes you to be confused and annoyed really. Like the Office update... Why do you have to go to Windows Update in "Real Windows" to get it is beyond me. There is no hint that it is actually there and to expect users to find that is just unrealistic.

I could go on, but there really is no need to. I just don't think it is a great device. It is decent as the hardware and build quality are pretty good and all that, but I just don't think it is prime time ready yet.

You may think I should use it for some random amount of time to make up my mind, but I have a life. The Surface isn't free and after using it for myself I wasn't impressed enough to drop a considerable amount of my money on it and I won't. Do what you like with your time and money; I could care less.

#41 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:22

I'm not against change, so stop being presumptuous. Not liking a device isn't indicative of my desire to deal with change. If anything, I feel Windows 8 is great on a tablet, so I'm not sure where you get this bias from.

Speaking on presumptuous; I never said you were against change, I said it seemed to be the reason most people were against Windows 8.

Also, I have no issues with you deciding quickly that it's not worth your money. I do however have an issue with you telling people how bad it is based on your quick and - in my opinion - unfounded opinions. It'd have been best if you said: "For the short amount of time I spent with it, I decided it wasn't for me".

#42 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:28

Anyway, the lag was too much and was present everywhere. Once you use the Surface you'll notice the lag without question and it isn't any fun. I'm also very unsure why they put the full Desktop in there with everything when you can't actually install Windows applications. It only causes you to be confused and annoyed really. Like the Office update... Why do you have to go to Windows Update in "Real Windows" to get it is beyond me. There is no hint that it is actually there and to expect users to find that is just unrealistic.

I could go on, but there really is no need to. I just don't think it is a great device. It is decent as the hardware and build quality are pretty good and all that, but I just don't think it is prime time ready yet.

You may think I should use it for some random amount of time to make up my mind, but I have a life. The Surface isn't free and after using it for myself I wasn't impressed enough to drop a considerable amount of my money on it and I won't. Do what you like with your time and money; I could care less.

is it not possible to update within metro? charms bar>pc settings>windows update.

#43 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:29

wow, the audacity of telling people who actually used it that they shouldn't like it.

#44 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:35

Speaking on presumptuous; I never said you were against change, I said it seemed to be the reason most people were against Windows 8.

Also, I have no issues with you deciding quickly that it's not worth your money. I do however have an issue with you telling people how bad it is based on your quick and - in my opinion - unfounded opinions. It'd have been best if you said: "For the short amount of time I spent with it, I decided it wasn't for me".

Unfounded opinions? Err what? So, now I'm not allowed to not like something? The fanboyism here is really getting annoying. I am starting to feel like Neowin has become to Microsoft what iSheep have become to Apple.

I used the device extensively and I wasn't impressed with it. There is nothing unfounded about my opinion. For starters, an opinion is my viewpoint and, as such, isn't possible to be unfounded, as opinion aren't required to be factual... But I digress...

Let us look at the facts though, the device is laggy as many have pointed out and I confirmed for myself when using it. Additionally, you can't get the Office RTM update directly unless you go to Windows Update in Windows 8, not Metro/RT/whatever they call it now. You do have the full Windows Desktop on the device...

I'm failing to see where I had any factual inaccuracies. It is a shame that we can't have honest discussions anymore and instead we're all expected to be someone's sheep.

is it not possible to update within metro? charms bar>pc settings>windows update.

Yes, that is the easiest way to do it. You then have to be sure to navigate the Desktop Windows Update to see all updates and select Office as it is an optional update. If it were a mandatory update you'd get it eventually without having to dig in there, but the didn't flag it as one oddly enough.

#45 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:37

He isn't wrong though, it's certainly not as snappy as an iPad or a Windows Phone is. But, using 1.3 Ghz ARM chips, I'm just happy it's performing better than Netbooks did with Atom CPU's :p