Rooting Nexus 7

Still no luck rooting my Nexus 7 with 4.2. Any tutorials out there that actually work?

Rooting a Nexus device should be the simplest thing to root. I know you've looked at a few guides, have you tried this one? Using Toolkits can actually make things more complicated so this one is a bit more manual.

Essentially you need to unlock your bootloader (assuming you haven't already) and then you can flash a custom recovery and root.

Hope that helps

did you read the link??

the second paragraph says

You DO NOT need to be on a stock rom to run this and it will NOT erase your data. But it is recommended when you get into CWM recovery for obvious reasons.

Tried 8 separate guides for unlocking and rooting my Nexus 4 and I ran into the same problems as you, they'd constantly go over some point not mentioned earlier in the tutorial.

All the android devices are pretty easy to root (just rooted a nexus 10 minutes ago - mannually)... if you dont want to do it like i did, use the toolkits :)

Nexus 4: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995688

Nexus 7: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809195

Nexus 10: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2001868

All the android devices are pretty easy to root (just rooted a nexus 10 minutes ago - mannually)... if you dont want to do it like i did, use the toolkits :)

Tried the Nexus 4 Toolkit, sat there in the fast boot screen, hit yes to unlock it and it sat there forever saying "waiting for device"

Hello I am the maker of the universal naked drivers so if you need to connect get that first here:

http://forum.xda-dev...08#post28610908

If any users is having issues with the Nexus 7 rooting ti may be cause you hit JB already which has all exploits closed. What you need to do is unlock the boot loader and push root to your system, here's how.

1) Unlock bootloader

2) Boot not flash custom recovery from fastboot

3) mount /System

4) /System is NOW accessible through ADB

5) use ADB to push the SU through command

6) reboot done

If you download my Transformer Prime "Urkels Fresh Start" covers this and if you replace the files and use same commands you will be good to go.

Urkels Fresh Start:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1929189

Hello I am the maker of the universal naked drivers so if you need to connect get that first here:

http://forum.xda-dev...08#post28610908

If any users is having issues with the Nexus 7 rooting ti may be cause you hit JB already which has all exploits closed. What you need to do is unlock the boot loader and push root to your system, here's how.

1) Unlock bootloader

2) Boot not flash custom recovery from fastboot

3) mount /System

4) /System is NOW accessible through

5) use ADB to push the SU through command

6) reboot done

If you download my Transformer Prime "Urkels Fresh Start" covers this and if you replace the files and use same commands you will be good to go.

Urkels Fresh Start:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1929189

Is this just for Nexus 7? Any guides for Nexus 4?

Is this just for Nexus 7? Any guides for Nexus 4?

Same process on Nexus 4

Unlock

Boot custom recovery

mount /System

and push files to Nexus 4, the nexus 4 does not work with the normal superuser (ChainsDD) and the variant of Chainsfire is used for now. SuperSU

mskip from XDA makes a toolkit which uses my naked drivers, this tookit will automate the process I just mentioned.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995688

Same process on Nexus 4

Unlock

Boot custom recovery

mount /System

and push files to Nexus 4, the nexus 4 does not work with the normal superuser (ChainsDD) and the variant of Chainsfire is used for now. SuperSU

I tried that, it just hands indefinately on "waiting for device" when I tell the program to unlock it.

the process is the same for all google devices... waiting for device is usually related to missing drivers or lack of privileges on windows... on linux it works as it should btw (just run sudo fastboot for the operations)

I tried that, it just hands indefinately on "waiting for device" when I tell the program to unlock it.

I think I know the issue, first you must uninstall any previous drivers and use mine (which is also the default for the toolkit).

Before you run the toolkit you need to install the driver multiple times, once per fastboot and once per ADB. each mode shows differently in devices manager so you must install it for each mode.

You are 100000% having a driver issue ;)

Please read the red below form my drivers thread:

Warning: Uninstall any previous driver package's you may have installed and also manually remove drivers by attaching your phone and going to Windows device manager and right click the entry for your phone and select "Uninstall" on the next prompt make sure to select "Delete the driver software for this device" then hit OK and reboot before installing these drivers

I think I know the issue, first you must uninstall any previous drivers and use mine (which is also the default for the toolkit).

Before you run the toolkit you need to install the driver multiple times, once per fastboot and once per ADB. each mode shows differently in devices manager so you must install it for each mode.

You are 100000% having a driver issue ;)

Please read the red below form my drivers thread:

Warning: Uninstall any previous driver package's you may have installed and also manually remove drivers by attaching your phone and going to Windows device manager and right click the entry for your phone and select "Uninstall" on the next prompt make sure to select "Delete the driver software for this device" then hit OK and reboot before installing these drivers

Ok deleted all the drivers, I try to install them from the program but I get this

VIA5x.png

Ok deleted all the drivers, I try to install them from the program but I get this VIA5x.png

The problem is you are using Windows 8 and need to go to my thread to disable driver enforcement, you are installing drivers through the tool kit which will not give you the error plus needs to run as Admin

If you install them normally through device manager it would have shown this to you. Disable the enforcement and then reinstall the drivers. I would do this manually with my package until you can confirm you got around Windows 8 driver enforcement.

Windows 8 Instructions
How to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 8:
From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
Click ?More PC Settings?.
Click ?General?.
Scroll down, and click ?Restart now? under ?Advanced startup?.
Wait a bit.
Click ?Troubleshoot?.
Click ?Advanced Options?
Click ?Windows Startup Settings?
Click Restart.
[/CODE]

Here's a dumb question. Hwo do I fully back up my Nexis 7? Plug it in and just drag everything to a folder on my PC?

Another question is can updating to jellybean un-root cause superuser seems to have stopped working?

if you're on the stock rom and you updated OTA then yes it will remove the root if you don't have one of the root keeper apps installed on your android

Here's a dumb question. Hwo do I fully back up my Nexis 7? Plug it in and just drag everything to a folder on my PC?

are you already rooted? if so just boot into CWM and make a backup from there

if you're on the stock rom and you updated OTA then yes it will remove the root if you don't have one of the root keeper apps installed on your android

Will it relock the bootloader?

Do is rooting even worth it? I'm not even sure I understand the concept. Is it like Jailbreaking on iOS? I'm only even looking into it because I wanted to try the Saxaxxis app and apparently it needs the device to be rooted.

Does rooting void your warranty?