Windows 8 overtake Android web presence in less than 10 days

Microsoft News reports that in less than 10 days since Windows 8's launch, the OS has overtaken Android in website traffic. The stats come from the well recognized StatCounter. The graphic below displays this trend, showing traffic from devices running Windows 8 and the Android operating system.

image32.png

It appears that Windows 8 is having a great start. And folks, this is no Windows Vista. What do you think?

Source:

http://microsoft-new...s-than-10-days/

• Like 1

Only MS employees are using this or MS paid statcounter. This cant be true.

/s

On topic : Windows 8 is indeed fast and great, it takes time to get used to, but still faster than 7 ever was. (Y)

It appears to me that you're looking at deliberately skewed statistics and assuming that they mean more than they do. Look at the same figures for markets where they actually compete like tablets and I wager the stats would look a bit different.

That comparing stats of desktop OS vs mobile OS is bag-of-hammers dumb sensationalist bullshyte, at least well until Surface Pro and Pro tablets appear en masse. Windows RT, on the other hand...

Indeed you may ask why one would compare a desktop OS and a mobile OS. It's a valid question until you realize that regardless of the form factor of the device, the OS is the same. This implies a huge developer opportunity. Remember, the Windows Store isn't limited to tablets. These huge amounts of de3sktop PCs and laptops also have access to the Windows Store. This is huge for developers' reach. With relatively few apps and a massive userbase, there isn't a better time to develop Windows 8 apps.

Actually, no it isn't. Android isn't designed to be used on desktops, full stop. What a product is marketed for is very important, and if you compared like for like and only looked at tablets I'd wager the figures would be different. The argument that you're making would be something akin to telling a person looking for a corporate jet for their small business that they'd be better off with a Boeing 737 because it sells in such big numbers.

Well, I thought this thread was about statistics not "developers, developers" dance. Now I'm afraid this thread is bound to turn into another "OMG ITS FULL OF STARS" vs "I HAAATE WIN8 THEREFORE YOU SHOULD TOO" :(

its funny cause there was people that thought win8 would fail.

On a side note most of vistas crashes were due to bad drivers thanks to NVidia. So you wanna blame someone for vista blame them. It worked perfect for me when I used it.

• Like 1

Of course, Windows 8 sells like hot cakes. I've already installed a good number of machines just because an ad "Woo woo - new Windows 8 is out" is on our company's front page... ok, well, like, ten - it's a small company. But guess what - just one Windows 7 install since then.

The fun will begin when people start calling "why did you folks install an iPad in my new shiny gaming rig?". Though I'm still waiting for a single complaint, with the hope diminishing each day.

Right.. because everyone searches for Android... I have never once done a search for android.. and I own an Android Device. I've searched Win8 more than Android.. and I have 0 intention of using 8... so a few searches for something means nothing.. it's how well it sells and if it can take out the competition (which I can't see happening).

wait... WHAT??? people were bitching that windows 8 is a tablet and mobile only OS,and nobody is going to use it on the desktop.

then these stats come out and now all of a sudden, you cant compare apples to oranges because windows 8 is a desktop OS?

that is the funniest thing I've heard.

guess what? windows 8 is a damn success and all you haters have no more excuses. the market is speaking and you guys are acting like babies.

according to these stats, in less than a month, windows 8 should over take ios web presence as well.

surprise, windows 8 has arrived,and all other platforms are beginning to become irrelevant. enjoy

• Like 2

Right.. because everyone searches for Android... I have never once done a search for android.. and I own an Android Device. I've searched Win8 more than Android.. and I have 0 intention of using 8... so a few searches for something means nothing.. it's how well it sells and if it can take out the competition (which I can't see happening).

This isn't search comparison, this is Operating System comparison as tracked by statcounter tracked websites.

• Like 1

This isn't search comparison, this is Operating System comparison as tracked by statcounter tracked websites.

Okay fair enough. But still isn't it kind of strange to compare an OS on multiple platforms (Desktop, Netbooks, Tablets, Mobile, etc) with an OS On just Tablets and Mobile? I mean theres 2 other markets completely, running Windows 8 that Android doesn't run on :/

Okay fair enough. But still isn't it kind of strange to compare an OS on multiple platforms (Desktop, Netbooks, Tablets, Mobile, etc) with an OS On just Tablets and Mobile? I mean theres 2 other markets completely, running Windows 8 that Android doesn't run on :/

The point of the graph is to show that after two weeks Windows 8 already has a larger presence than a platform that supposedly is running on 600+ million devices worldwide.

surprise, windows 8 has arrived,and all other platforms are beginning to become irrelevant. enjoy

3/4 of a million Android device activations per day, iPhones still selling by the bucketload. Yeah, they're so irrelevant :laugh:

3/4 of a million Android device activations per day, iPhones still selling by the bucketload. Yeah, they're so irrelevant :laugh:

most android phones sold are basically dumbphones that are given away for free that cant run anything worthwhile,and these studies prove it. windows 8 is about to over take ios in web presence in a month,and we all know these ios devices are made to browse the web. All this and windows 8 hasn't been released for 2 weeks yet. What does that tell you?

The number of Windows 7 computers (some of them tablets, I might add) on the web and off it at the moment beats all other systems combined. What does that tell you, mouthpiece?

when was android released? when was ios released? when was windows 7 released?

all years ago

when was windows 8 released? less than 2 weeks ago.

when did windows 8 destroy android in web presence? in 3 days

when will windows 8 destroy ios web presence? in 30 days

when will windows 8 destroy windows 7 in web presence? who knows but windows 8 is doing better at launch than windows 7 did,and windows 7 sold over 700 million copies in 2 years.

what did some delusional folks say before windows 8 was released? that it would be a massive failure,and that nobody would want anything to do with it,and that its going to be the laughing stock of the tech industry. that it was a mobile OS and useless on the desktop. that its made only for touch. that the colors seem childish.

what did these same people say when they started knowing the windows 8 is running a train on everything else? oh its all of a sudden a desktop OS and you cant compare it to mobile. LOL

again, enjoy windows 8 :)

• Like 4

I agree with vcfan, a few weeks ago a lot of the detractors where still saying Win8 is a mobile OS, should not be on desktops, blablabla

now when they make a comparison to a mobile OS, it's not fair because Win8 is after all a desktop OS

Make up your minds people, and just admit you were wrong, Win8 will is great and will be a succes