• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#16 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,473 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:26

PC gaming will die first, following by console and eventually replaced by tablet gaming..

Ha! Your funny, sir! I would love to see a Surface play Crysis 3!

#17 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• 1,774 posts
  • Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:35

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows it will ONLY run on Android! :p

#18 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,309 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:38

Sensationalist article. Enough said.

#19 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,316 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:39

Smart devices (phones, tablets, etc) are cutting in on both pc and console gaming, however I don't think it will replace at this time, or for a while.

As long as high speed internet / infrastructural is an issue: high costs, not available in all area's, etc. the industry's dream of renting / purchasing license and it being streamed to your device (tv or computer) is aways off.

#20 NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo

Neowinian

• 403 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:44

A $900 computer built today will probably not be as powerful as the consoles when they come out if the trend continues from generations past.

#21 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:50

1080p + becoming common? 1080p isn't even widely as common, since there's lots and lots of of SD televisions still being sold, even now; also it took some time for the TV prices to go down.

LOL WAT? I could go to every store in my entire city and there would be ZERO standard def TVs for purchase. 720p? Sure, lots of those but that's still HD.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,262 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:50

Currently, I’m building my own gaming/workhorse computer. When all is said and done, it will be several times more powerful than current console hardware and will easily outpace the next generation of consoles in every “power/capacity” regard. In total, I’m spending around $900 on this PC. $900 might sound like a lot, but considering the next-gen consoles are probably going to debut for ~$500-$600, be half as powerful, and not upgradable, I think it’s a perfectly reasonable alternative to buying new consoles when they come out. The main reason, however, for building your own PC instead of buying the new consoles is 4K UHD.

In other words, unless the next-gen consoles support 2K or 4K UHD for $600 or less and their price drops to under $400 within 4 years of their release, they’re going to be paperweights when UHD TVs become the standard. This could spell the end for HD console gaming. Mobile gaming is becoming more and more popular and it looks like it’s poised to replace consoles as the defacto gaming system in our homes. What purposes current consoles serve will be replaced with all-in-one media hubs built into TVs or standalone boxes like the Apple TV. Gaming will either be done on a mobile device or a custom built PC. And gaming will go through a major change over the next few years. Of course consoles will always be less powerful than current PC hardware, but they’ve always managed to be comparable. If they don’t support 4K UHD, however, their lack of horsepower isn’t going to be ignorable this time around.

Actually, next gen consoles won't be as expensive at launch as last gen, and even if they did cost 400-450, that's still half of what your computer is. and people don't want a big gaming rig in theliving room next to the TV, they don't want the fan noise of the gaming rig, they don't want to have to tweak game settings, they want to just play.

And at launch even if the hardware is half of what yoru gaming rig is, though I doubt it, it'll probably be more like equal to anythign you build today. it'll still provide the same graphics, due to far less overhead on a console, uniform hardware design and gfar more optimized hardware design. PC' will probably still provde better graphics, at least if you look a year ahead they'll be definately take over again. But people don't care about it, the graphics will be far above good enough. most people don't care if the graphcis are slightly better as long as they are good enough.

As for 2k, 4k and UHD resolutions. doesn't matter, another thing people don't care about. neither of those will be mass market for the next 4-5 years, i.e. the lifetime of these consoles before the next generation. Even then I'm not sure we'll have them that fast. and even when it does hit mass market, people don't replace their expensive big screen TV's that often. so you're probably looking at 8-10 years before mass adoption and critical mass.

#23 yardmanflex

yardmanflex

Neowinian

• 654 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:54

So long as there's millions of punters spending £40+ on CoD, halo, fifa etc.. consoles aint going anywhere regardless of advancements in TV technology.

P.S. I'm one of those punters :)

Me too lol..console = worry free gaming. :)

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,262 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:55

Posted Image

"unfortunately" tablet and phone gaming is the next big thing and is quickly taking over console gaming, though atm not eating into console gaming as that category is also still growing.

#25 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

• 2,652 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:57

Consoles will be here for ever (in my lifetime) just like it said at the top, the game is designed for the console, you know when you play it, it'll work and meet the specs etc.

#26 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,760 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:57

"unfortunately" tablet and phone gaming is the next big thing and is quickly taking over console gaming, though atm not eating into console gaming as that category is also still growing.

No it's not. The best tablet and phone gaming is good for is casial gaming. The touch controls will not replace a gamepad or a mouse and keyboard ANY time soon.

#27 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,398 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 15:00

343i says "NO!" to you.

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,262 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 15:01

The Tegra in the Surface RT, should be able to handle Crysis 3, especially since Crysis 3 is designed to be scalable, far more so than Crysis. The HD 4000 in the Pro however I'm not so sure, but I'm not sure where the intel HD series are in performance compared to the tegra's since Id on't much bother witht he Intel HD stuff.

#29 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,630 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 08 November 2012 - 15:01

LOL WAT? I could go to every store in my entire city and there would be ZERO standard def TVs for purchase. 720p? Sure, lots of those but that's still HD.

I'm unaware of any new SDTVs that are still being sold. Aside from certain medical/industrial applications CRTs have been out of production worldwide for a couple of years now.

#30 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,859 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 15:03

By the time tablets have good enough hardware to play the latest games, us hardcore PC users will be sitting in our holographic game play bubbles loling at the uberness of our rigs

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!