Is Console Gaming Doomed?

How is Crysis 3 a crappy experience just because you're not running it in ultra. ? in fact Crysis 3 looks quite good even on low end Hardware.

Kinect, not Kinetic.

also PC gaming is fun, and cool, Console gaming, also fun and cool, and tablet and phone games are also fun and cool. If you want to limit your fun to just sittign on your PC. well that's up to you.

Seems pointless as it's filmed in 30 or 25.

LOL sorry about misspelling Kinect cause I really care. And yes I "limit" my fun I guess and don't even own a cell phone cause I don't want cancer just to game and talk on the go. Jeesh.

I think the point he was making is that tablet/mobile games aren't and never will be as complex as games mode the PC or console. Saying tablets are the future of gaming is laughable.

And thank you that is my point exactly...tablets will NEVER...well ok maybe in 50 freakin years... be as good as even a console let alone a PC.

PS Hawkman do you use an Apple? I would bet you do...and play all your games on your console and phone LOL... :rofl: <Just sayin

How is Crysis 3 a crappy experience just because you're not running it in ultra. ? in fact Crysis 3 looks quite good even on low end Hardware.

I don't think you realize how slow I'd be. Crysis 3 requires a minimum dual core processor, 2GB of ram and a 1GB DX11 video card. Theoretically, if it were to run on the surface or any other tablet, we're talking 20-30 FPS maybe even less. That's unplayable. I never said playing in ultra was a requirement, I said I play on ultra, and my system runs it very well, except when there's a large explosion, which taxes my GPU and lags the game. If you want to play it on a low end system, go for it! :)

Most games these days apart from a handful of exceptions run textures in 540 or other lower resolutions on consoles. I think the next gen will be about native 1080p textures running at 60FPS.

I don't think you realize how slow I'd be. Crysis 3 requires a minimum dual core processor, 2GB of ram and a 1GB DX11 video card. Theoretically, if it were to run on the surface or any other tablet, we're talking 20-30 FPS maybe even less. That's unplayable.

Indeed what is the point? I mean we could all go back to playin freakin Super Mario Bros but why? Haven't we as gamers evolved? Should we not expect not only good storyline but also good graphics? I am not sayin ....that consoles couldn't catch up...wait NO that is what I am sayin. Eat it consoles.

Well I guess I am gonna go buy a phone and a Mac so I can play all those really sweet games they have...oh what was that? They don't have any really sweet games? Really? No joke...big surprise as they never have...maybe I need a console....oh wait they are older parts by years than my PC? OMG you are right again... this thread is dead.

Well since Apple is the worlds biggest game seller (source: steve jobs himself at an iPhone keynote speach) consoles are obviously doomed!

LOL I do miss Steve Jobs' Distortion Field...

PS Hawkman do you use an Apple? I would bet you do...and play all your games on your console and phone LOL... :rofl: <Just sayin

You shouldn't ASSume, I most definitely do not have an apple, but a powerful gaming computer, and a new laptop that can play new games on pretty decent settings, all running windows.

I thought only 1080i was at 60fps to makeup for the interlacing everything else was 30fps

ATSC supports 720p60 or 1080i60 (as well as several other formats). Some channels use 720p while other use 1080i. ABC for example uses 720p and records and transmits sports at 60fps, while most other content is recorded at 24/30fps then played back at 60fps with frames doubled.

All I hear is, " My dog is better than your dog because it does more dog things...."

These arguments are pretty pointless. To each their own, and no one is wrong if they find entertainment in it. To belittle someone due to how they get their entertainment though, that is a pretty douchbag thing to do. Just saying....

wooot, my post is in binary at the moment! 10011

This article is funny.

Lets wait until consoles do true 1080p before we even right off 1080p as being a dead standard.

It is going to be YEARS until anything higher becomes the standard.

And once it does, then new consoles will be released.

Now if the article was about perhaps there is going to be more of a hybrid console/computer being released at some point, which I believe is MS's ultimate goal, then perhaps I could have taken it seriously. But to make the argument over resolutions that have not even been achieved this generation, never mind the adoption of said new super duper resolutions on devices such as TV's, well that is a fine example of someone writing an article just to get hits, and not on anything grounded in reality.

Eventually console gaming will become the place to go for casual games, any and all serious gaming can't be done on a console, that will still be the domain of the PC with it's better hardware capabilities

• Like 1

Eventually console gaming will become the place to go for casual games, any and all serious gaming can't be done on a console, that will still be the domain of the PC with it's better hardware capabilities

umm right, that smells a lot like BS

I would list the games that say you are wrong, but I would love to go to sleep some time this week...

I would list the games that say you are wrong, but I would love to go to sleep some time this week...

Said eventually, eventually devs will be forced into picking a platform and stick with that one, the cost of producing games keeps going up and making games work on various platforms will become cost prohibitive

umm right, that smells a lot like BS

Smells like a reading comprehension issue

except cross platform developement is gettign easier and easier, and if they had to drop one platform, it'd be PC. while PC is still big and very much there, that's where the money is hard core or casual alike.

Said eventually, eventually devs will be forced into picking a platform and stick with that one, the cost of producing games keeps going up and making games work on various platforms will become cost prohibitive

Smells like a reading comprehension issue

If it hasn't happened for nearly 30 years, despite numerous other hardware and software platforms to get in the way of consoles, why do you think it would happen in the near future? Console games will be getting, and are already getting, casual games. But they're also home to some of the best hardcore games on the market today, for any platform. They're pretty diversified like that.

Also, the argument that console games are becoming more and more expensive to make has become a slightly more non-issue - with multiple distribution streams on each console (360 has GOD, XBLA and Retail, PS3 and PSN, Minis and Retail, Wii has VC, WiiWare and Retail) it ensures those who want to make $50mil games can do so, but those who want to make cheaper games can also do so. Not only this, but your comment on devs being forced to pick one platform is also un-true, game engines today, especially third party ones such as Unreal Engine 4 and Unity, are designed to let you make your game once and compile for multiple platforms. Unless a developer really wants to fine tune their game to the absolute maximum for one platform (which rarely happens outside of first party and second party devs anyway) then multiplatform is no issue. If anything, the opposite is true, and no third party developer will want to stay tied to one platform as it's cost prohibitive, and their in-game engines will be designed with multi-platform targeting in mind.

A $900 computer built today will probably not be as powerful as the consoles when they come out if the trend continues from generations past.

Exactly. Consoles have always been ahead, and by the time a PC get close the next console is out.

Console gaming is too big a thing to end any time soon. Been around and ahead of computer gaming as far back as I can remember.

Exactly. Consoles have always been ahead, and by the time a PC get close the next console is out.

Console gaming is too big a thing to end any time soon. Been around and ahead of computer gaming as far back as I can remember.

Are you serious? The current gen of hardware used in consoles was outdated compared to pcs before they were released more than 6 years ago. The ps3 has 256mb of memory ffs. I think the last time 256mb of memory was standard in a pc was pre 2004.

This topic thread is rediculous. Console gamers will ALWAYS say that the PC is "dead" or "dying" pfft hardly. PC has been the main stay of real gamers for years. I started gaming on a frigin comodore 64 which was better then than anything else on the market. My $1500 PC has lasted me for over four years and is still more powerful than your pitiful consoles. I would rather die than play a console game with its crappy resolution and inflexible gaming. I can mod Skyrim and well you can't. I can play at 1080 and you can't. I can use your xbox controller OR a mouse and keyboard and you can't. Game consoles are for idiots and children. If you can't use a computer LEARN , and quit saying that some dumb touch screen peice of garbage is the next gaming standard...give me a break. Tablets are dumb.

I am a console owner.... I am playing Halo 4 and you.... Oh, you can't :p