• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#91 devBrian

devBrian

Neowinian Senior

• 2,150 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 20:16

LMAO 1024x600 is lower than the resolution I was using in 2001 :laugh:

My resolution now (1920x1080) is lower than the resolution I used in 2001.

On a 19" monitor that just looked ridiculous :p

#92 eviljedi

eviljedi

Neowinian

• 440 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 23:43

This post is kind of silly imo. Even if you had a 4k computer monitor today, you wouldn't be able to play games at that resoultion with a decent framerate. Yes, 4k may eventually become the standard for games, but not anytime soon. The next gen consoles will long be past their prime before they need to worry about outputting games at 4k.

#93 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,812 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:06

honestly it was doomed the day they started putting harddrives in them.

Care to elaborate? If you're talking about the feeling that the developers think they can release less polished games and then release patches and add-ons later, I agree. But the blame isn't entirely to do with HDD. Computers had hard drives long before consoles, and yet a game that was released was as finished as it was ever going to be. What changed that was better connection speeds.
I remember playing Ghost Recon on the PC back when I had a 56k modem. A patch was released that was 60MB, and I had to give serious consideration about whether to download it or not. Today if my PS3 tells me there is a 60MB patch, I don't give it a second thought.

Console gaming isn't doomed. This rumour seems to resurface every few years and it has yet to happen.

#94 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

• 955 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:14

This post is kind of silly imo. Even if you had a 4k computer monitor today, you wouldn't be able to play games at that resoultion with a decent framerate. Yes, 4k may eventually become the standard for games, but not anytime soon. The next gen consoles will long be past their prime before they need to worry about outputting games at 4k.

People have been playing on triple-monitor setups for some time, which would be about 75% of the 4K HD resolutions. I don't see how it would not be possible to play on 4K HD.

#95 enc_MAYhem

enc_MAYhem

enc_MAYhem

• 33 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire C

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:15

They'll never die.. because there always will be people who cant or wont be able to afford expensive PC's just for the purpose of gaming! and when it comes to games what people mainly like to think is that they'll get to play it on a bigger screen, its only experts like us who worry about the lag and the fps, the texture quality etc.

There share as compared to PC will surely decrease but still they'll stay. people in my country still goto shops to play PS2 for like 0.2$/hour.. imagine that.

#96 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:11

no

#97 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• 450 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52

Halo 4 sold millions of units in a weekend, earning Microsoft several hundred millions of dollars of revenues. On a single console. Yep, console gaming is dead, people clearly want to spend all their leisure time on touchy-touchy toys and $0.99 "gaming" "apps" (yuck)....

#98 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,207 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:35

Halo 4 sold millions of units in a weekend, earning Microsoft several hundred millions of dollars of revenues. On a single console. Yep, console gaming is dead, people clearly want to spend all their leisure time on touchy-touchy toys and $0.99 "gaming" "apps" (yuck)....

No one ever said that.

#99 stockwiz

stockwiz

Neowinian

• 535 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:21

I have this fear they are going to sacrifice raw power and performance in order to make the future consoles smaller and/or gimmicky like the wii U because the money comes from pawning off all these apps, hulu subscriptions, and other garbage. I want raw power. :)

PC gaming has already died in the sense that pirates killed it, pirates killed innovative, graphically intense games like crysis and drove all the manufacturers to the consoles. It may never totally die in a literal sense, but the desktop PC is dying as a whole amongst the general population. That trend will continue. Laptops will replace the PC for the home, tablets for travel.

I don't see processor speeds taking any big leaps forward so today's sandy/ivy hardware should be good for 5 years yet. Big leaps will occur in SSD speed and capacities as there is more fierce competition between manufacturers. AMD has not been competition to Intel, so we are stuck.

#100 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

• 955 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:37

PC gaming has already died in the sense that pirates killed it, pirates killed innovative, graphically intense games like crysis and drove all the manufacturers to the consoles. It may never totally die in a literal sense, but the desktop PC is dying as a whole amongst the general population. That trend will continue. Laptops will replace the PC for the home, tablets for travel.

PC gaming is alive and well, thank you. Digital sales are up and PC have increased it's sales the last years.

PC gaming marked grew 15% march 2011 to march 2012 to record numbers.
http://www.edge-onli...-grows-15-cent/

Entusiast PC gaming increased too, contrary to the belief that powerful gaming desktops are "dying".
http://jonpeddie.com...illion-in-2012/

Innovative games? Did you really mean "games with big budget"? Because it's those that have fled to consoles. And they are mostly not at all innovative. They are made by companies only thinking about how to earn more money, which involves taking little risks and betting on safe cards.

On the contrary the PC have a bunch of upcoming games that are fan-supported via crowd-funding, where big greedy companies can't control the game design. And we do have a graphically intensive game coming from there too, it's called Star Citizen.

#101 Oni Ray

Oni Ray

Neowinian

• 16 posts
  • Phone: LG Optimus One P500 (CM10 - JB 4.1.1)

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:54

/Off Topic ;)

If you maintain a cool head while those around you are losing theirs, you probably don't understand the gravity of the situation...

LOL! I bet a certain Mr. Rudyard Kipling is turning in his grave :p

#102 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:03

Eventually console gaming will become the place to go for casual games, any and all serious gaming can't be done on a console, that will still be the domain of the PC with it's better hardware capabilities

this is what makes me laugh. When kids come out and think for a second that pc gaming is "more serious" or "more for hardcore gamers" then a console. Such a laughing joke. ERMAGHERD IM USING A KEYBOARD IM SUPER HARDCORE AND YOU USE A CONTROLLER SO YOU MUST BE CASUAL.

#103 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,335 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:08

Console gaming has never been stronger. Current gen hardware doesn't even really DO 720p let alone 1080p. That really doesn't matter.

#104 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Minecraft Stone Miner

• 229 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia M2 LTE-A D2306

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:10

Console gaming will never be dead as millions of people use game consoles every day, including me since I have an Xbox 360 Slim, PlayStation 3 Slim, Regular Nintendo Wii, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, PSP, PS Vita so yeah, I have a lot of game consoles, LOL.

#105 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,120 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:20

Has anyone mentioned that the argument the OP makes is the same argument that has been made over the last couple of decades? You'll always get a bigger bang for your buck with PC hardware on specs alone and consoles will always lag, but despite that consoles have always been extremely successful, so it's quite obviously not a relevant argument anymore. Consoles are on top because they are simple and they take all the work out of the consumer's hands. You don't have to fiddle with anything - you put a game in and you play, and when you're done, you hit up any number of apps for a complete experience right in your living room with very minimal setup. Kind of a no brainer.