Is Console Gaming Doomed?

/Off Topic ;)

If you maintain a cool head while those around you are losing theirs, you probably don't understand the gravity of the situation...

LOL! I bet a certain Mr. Rudyard Kipling is turning in his grave :p

Eventually console gaming will become the place to go for casual games, any and all serious gaming can't be done on a console, that will still be the domain of the PC with it's better hardware capabilities

this is what makes me laugh. When kids come out and think for a second that pc gaming is "more serious" or "more for hardcore gamers" then a console. Such a laughing joke. ERMAGHERD IM USING A KEYBOARD IM SUPER HARDCORE AND YOU USE A CONTROLLER SO YOU MUST BE CASUAL.

Console gaming will never be dead as millions of people use game consoles every day, including me since I have an Xbox 360 Slim, PlayStation 3 Slim, Regular Nintendo Wii, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, PSP, PS Vita so yeah, I have a lot of game consoles, LOL.

Has anyone mentioned that the argument the OP makes is the same argument that has been made over the last couple of decades? You'll always get a bigger bang for your buck with PC hardware on specs alone and consoles will always lag, but despite that consoles have always been extremely successful, so it's quite obviously not a relevant argument anymore. Consoles are on top because they are simple and they take all the work out of the consumer's hands. You don't have to fiddle with anything - you put a game in and you play, and when you're done, you hit up any number of apps for a complete experience right in your living room with very minimal setup. Kind of a no brainer.

On the contrary the PC have a bunch of upcoming games that are fan-supported via crowd-funding, where big greedy companies can't control the game design. And we do have a graphically intensive game coming from there too, it's called Star Citizen.

Which is an interesting one, since it's being done as a AAA game, granted space games in general have a lower dev cost, but it's not that much lower, and that one has a lot of character stuff and such anyway which is what decreases cost on them so this one is pretty much a full budget AAA game.

AND, you can't make a triple A game with 6 million, you need at least ten times that for a modern triple A game, and even then it's a low budget triple A game. so that means this game either

- Has investors and is using crowd funding purely for marketing, which is a bit early so it's unlikely

- Has investors, but they require them to pull up 5-10% of the dev costs to prove there is a market or as a mark down.

- Doesn't have investors, but is using the crowd funding to show that they have 5-10% of the money down and there is big interest in the game. Risky, but could work.

- They simply don't have a clue what it's going to cost. Unlikely since they've been in the game for a long time, and SHOULD know, but you never know.

So no. I don't believe Star Citizen is even close to being a crowd funded game. I think Crowd funding helped them and helps them be able to make decisions on their own. but as much money as it is, it's not even close to enough.

And if PC where to only get "indie" games, and not get awesome FPS games, Awesome ME type RPG's Awesome, RTS games, Awesome Racing games, all these expensive games that can't be garage developed. Well then PC gaming is dead. as much fun as indie games are, they're fairly short lived. Their only saving grace is that they're cheap.

Console gaming is not doomed.

But the console as a multimedia center is. Smart TV will be the media center of tomorrow there's absolutely no doubt in my mind. Console will be used for gaming only.

Console gaming is not doomed.

But the console as a multimedia center is. Smart TV will be the media center of tomorrow there's absolutely no doubt in my mind. Console will be used for gaming only.

and everyone can get a Smart TV for $199? cause everyone can get a console to use as a multimedia center for $199 and use any tv they want.

Smart TV's will have to become a WHOLE lot more responsive and quicker before that happens. but eventually yeah. I'm not sure that will kill the console as a media and entertainment hub though.

.....So no. I don't believe Star Citizen is even close to being a crowd funded game. I think Crowd funding helped them and helps them be able to make decisions on their own. but as much money as it is, it's not even close to enough.

And if PC where to only get "indie" games, and not get awesome FPS games, Awesome ME type RPG's Awesome, RTS games, Awesome Racing games, all these expensive games that can't be garage developed. Well then PC gaming is dead. as much fun as indie games are, they're fairly short lived. Their only saving grace is that they're cheap.

Quite a long beginning just to say you don't think Star Citizen is crowd funded. Well, does it matter? It's at least partially or largely crowd-funded and they are designing a game fans want. I don't see EA or Activision publishing similar games lately.

So for you there is only AAA games or indie games? What about the huge amount of good games in between? And you missed the point where I mentioned that PC gaming was trending upwards. This brings more AAA (or lets call it for what it is, games with big budgets) to the PC.

There's no more or less AAA games on the pc now than there was

You have any facts to back it up, or is it just your opinion?

I only stated that increasing market brings more high budget titles. The high budget titles moved to consoles because the market there was bigger (also easier, less hassle with support). Of course some games are to advertise the console and not made for PC just because it's an exclusive game, like f.e. Halo 4.

Smart TV's will have to become a WHOLE lot more responsive and quicker before that happens. but eventually yeah. I'm not sure that will kill the console as a media and entertainment hub though.

Agreed. They are going in the right direction...sort of... But in many cases, smartTVs are anything but.

It seems to me most people who keep saying "oh, consoles are dead, jump ship now" are devs for mobiles platforms or for mobile peripherals.

1080p + becoming common? 1080p isn't even widely as common, since there's lots and lots of of SD televisions still being sold, even now; also it took some time for the TV prices to go down.

Name one major US chain selling SD tvs still.

1080p + becoming common? 1080p isn't even widely as common, since there's lots and lots of of SD televisions still being sold, even now; also it took some time for the TV prices to go down.

Agreed.

Also I don't believe 4K UHD TVs will be nearly as desirable as 1080p TVs are now. argument: 1080p looks great! why should I buy a new TV?

Name one major US chain selling SD tvs still.

that's not the point, most things are just achieving full 720p and starting to go up to 1080p

HD doesn't always mean 1080p

that's not the point, most things are just achieving full 720p and starting to go up to 1080p

HD doesn't always mean 1080p

Things are just starting to achieve 1080p, we've been at 720p for years. Console and regular Television.

Things are just starting to achieve 1080p, we've been at 720p for years. Console and regular Television.

and yet a lot of HD cable channels still aren't actually full 1080p

10 years ago most people here still had 27 inches CRT TV without any extra. I think you will be surprised where TV will be in 10 years.

Agreed.

Also I don't believe 4K UHD TVs will be nearly as desirable as 1080p TVs are now. argument: 1080p looks great! why should I buy a new TV?

I don't know where you all live but here nobody buys SD CRT TVs. It's at the minimum 32 inches 720p LCD HDTV. More and more TVs now let you play media from an extrenal source.