Galaxy S III dethrones iPhone 4S as smartphone sales champ

Samsung Galaxy S III dethrones iPhone 4S as smartphone sales champ for Q3 2012

Samsung?s flagship Galaxy S III handset usurped the Apple iPhone 4S as the world?s best-selling smartphone in the third quarter of 2012, according to a new report released by market research and consulting firm Strategy Analytics.

The figures show the S III to have shifted 18 million units in Q3, compared to the iPhone 4S? 16.2 million. Meanwhile, the S III commanded a 10.7% share of the global smartphone market compared to the iPhone 4S? 9.7%.

It?s worth noting that sales of the 4S were tempered by the launch of the iPhone 5 in Q3. Apple?s latest handset sold 6 million units and grabbed 3.6% global smartphone market share, Strategy Analytics says.

Samsung?s claim to the smartphone crown is unlikely to be maintained though. The iPhone 5 launched close to the end of the third quarter of the year and suffered limited availability at first.

The S III is still selling healthily, having sold 10 million units in the past two months alone, and has sold more than 30 million units this year, according to Samsung. Still, it won?t be surprising if Q4 sees the now widely available iPhone 5 rise as rapidly as the S III did. In Q2, the Samsung?s flagship sold just 5.4 million units according to Strategy Analytics, so such fast increases are certainly possible. Indeed, Neil Mawston, Executive Director at Strategy Analytics, says in today?s press release, ?We expect the new iPhone 5 to out-ship Samsung?s Galaxy S3 in the coming fourth quarter of 2012 and Apple should soon reclaim the title of the world?s most popular smartphone model.?

With Samsung and Apple the undisputed kings of the smartphone market right now, releasing flagship devices once per year, six months apart from each other, it wouldn?t be surprising to see the top spot in studies such as this one flip between the two companies regularly.

Screen-Shot-2012-11-08-at-10.42.31-520x320.png

Soon Galaxy S3 will sell as iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 combined :)

In other news.. Apple stock completely tanks.

TNcCw

They lost over 100 bilion dollars in market cap but that's what happens when your value is overblown and starts deflating. From 700s to 545 in 2 weeks and it's still not over btw, people are selling off stock like crazy.

Soon Galaxy S3 will sell as iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 combined :)

In other news.. Apple stock completely tanks.

TNcCw

They lost over 100 bilion dollars in market cap but that's what happens when your value is overblown and starts deflating. From 700s to 545 in 2 weeks and it's still not over btw, people are selling off stock like crazy.

Well that's interesting... dropping 2% is "tanking"? You do realize the Dow dropped almost 400 points over the past 2 days, right?

Oh wait, you don't care about reasoning... Carry on...

• Like 2

Well that's interesting... dropping 2% is "tanking"? You do realize the Dow dropped almost 400 points over the past 2 days, right?

I think you missed the whole dropping from $700 to $550 in a month in a half (not 2 weeks) part, yes?

Very interesting though, I hadn't heard this was happening. It was bound to happen before long. I need to keep up more with my tech stocks. It's less exciting when you don't have the money to be investing at the moment though, haha.

On topic, newish SGSIII beats iPhone 4s in it's final days when everyone knows it's about to be replaced. We have these articles every single year.

• Like 2

I think you missed the whole dropping from $700 to $550 in a month in a half (not 2 weeks) part, yes?

No I didn't miss it. The Dow has also lost almost 1000 points in that same time frame.

The cause is market uncertainty; not Apple uncertainty. All tech stocks have been hit hard lately.

Poor choice of image from Boz but his comment was accurate. Since September the stock is down over 20%. Smart money is exiting.

post-41409-0-38656100-1352399611.jpg

No I didn't miss it. The Dow has also lost almost 1000 points in that same time frame.

The cause is market uncertainty; not Apple uncertainty. All tech stocks have been hit hard lately.

The Dow has dropped about 6% in that timeframe. Apple dropped almost 25%. A couple of other tech stocks, Microsoft down ~8%, Google dropped ~13% (on their own news of a poor quarter), IBM dropped about 8%. If you don't think Apple is dropping more, then I'm glad you aren't handling my money. :laugh:

• Like 2

The Dow has dropped about 6% in that timeframe. Apple dropped almost 25%. A couple of other tech stocks, Microsoft down ~8%, Google dropped ~13% (on their own news of a poor quarter), IBM dropped about 8%. If you don't think Apple is dropping more, then I'm glad you aren't handling my money. :laugh:

You don't seem to understand how the stock market works. Stocks go up and down depending on market un/certainty and also company financial factors. Apple has been doing great with sales, and only really has the problem with production shortages to go against it. A lot of tech stocks are at year lows right now; Intel, AMD, etc. Apple is nowhere near year lows. Look at their trend over the past year. It's went up, down, up, and now down. You can pretty much bet it will be back to the 700 level within a few months. Unless you can prove otherwise, the drop is largely due to market trending of tech stocks.

I'm glad I don't handle your money either. I have thousands of dollars in profits in the past 2 years. Just because I don't agree with you on the market trend of Apple's stock doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. My capital gains would prove otherwise...

• Like 1

You don't seem to understand how the stock market works. Stocks go up and down depending on market un/certainty and also company financial factors. Apple has been doing great with sales, and only really has the problem with production shortages to go against it. A lot of tech stocks are at year lows right now; Intel, AMD, etc. Apple is nowhere near year lows. Look at their trend over the past year. It's went up, down, up, and now down. You can pretty much bet it will be back to the 700 level within a few months. Unless you can prove otherwise, the drop is largely due to market trending of tech stocks.

I'm glad I don't handle your money either. I have thousands of dollars in profits in the past 2 years. Just because I don't agree with you on the market trend of Apple's stock doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. My capital gains would prove otherwise...

Haha, you always sound so upset and defensive when you post. I'm not trying to attack your character or anything. Apple has taken far more of a hit than the rest of the market in the last month or two, which is all I said. You made it sound like it just dropped in line with the whole market. Apple may not be near year lows yet, but that's because it's been going up too fast and $700 is just far overvalued for Apple. I think the bigger drop for Apple is a combined effect of the market's recent downturn, the fact that Apple was overvalued, and from everything I have seen, people starting to seem a little less excited about Apple these days. It will absolutely rebound, but I think saying it'll be back in the 700s in a few months may be a bit aggressive, especially when there's no indication of when it's going to stop dropping. But, that's what makes the stock market exciting. Anything can happen so we'll see how it goes. Too unpredictable and too damn expensive for me though.

Haha, you always sound so upset and defensive when you post. I'm not trying to attack your character or anything. Apple has taken far more of a hit than the rest of the market in the last month or two, which is all I said. You made it sound like it just dropped in line with the whole market. Apple may not be near year lows yet, but that's because it's been going up too fast and $700 is just far overvalued for Apple. I think the bigger drop for Apple is a combined effect of the market's recent downturn, the fact that Apple was overvalued, and from everything I have seen, people starting to seem a little less excited about Apple these days. It will absolutely rebound, but I think saying it'll be back in the 700s in a few months may be a bit aggressive, especially when there's no indication of when it's going to stop dropping. But, that's what makes the stock market exciting. Anything can happen so we'll see how it goes. Too unpredictable and too damn expensive for me though.

Not upset or defensive. Just speaking my thoughts on the matter. The attitude in which you want to perceive it is your choice, but don't worry, I don't take anything from this forum personally. :)

But anyways, I do agree with you on the overvalued part. Expensive stocks like these have that label thrown around here and there. I too wouldn't touch Apple, Google, Priceline, or any of those crazy high stocks.

I think one of the reason for the drop is everyone who wanted to upgrade their Apple phone was waiting for Apple to release the iPhone 5. Another reason might be the SIII has the buzz right now. It is a good phone.

I've had mine for about 6 months. Starting to feel the strain. Samsung should have put more RAM in this model.

I've had mine for about 6 months. Starting to feel the strain. Samsung should have put more RAM in this model.

Which is why I'll probably upgrade to the Note 2. It has plenty of RAM.

Although I do love my S3, it's an amazing phone, I'm also aware that with how fast android updates, changes and grows, I can see the next Super Smart Android phone toppling the S3 just as quick.

• Like 1

i have tried and tried and tried to like Android but no matter how much I use it, I just can not bring my self to like the "flow" of it nor the logic of the flow. I think it will always feel clumsy.

This sums it up for me to describe Android.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=1172&filename=Chain%20Lock%20Maze.jpg

I am pretty sure Apple has that patented. So if that describes Android, expect Apple to sue soon.

Joking aside, every has their own tastes and their idea of the flow they want. I myself find iOS old, stale, and boring as hell. Still on the fence about WP8 but have been watching things closely.

i have tried and tried and tried to like Android but no matter how much I use it, I just can not bring my self to like the "flow" of it nor the logic of the flow. I think it will always feel clumsy.

I'm a big fan of Android. and have had many Android devices (Also had iPhones and absolutely love them to death). I know exactly what you mean. Things just don't seem setout right, especially with settings. Even after having about 8 devices, I still struggle to find what I need in the settings.

As nice as it is. I still just ordered a iphone. Samsung please make a high end phone that is smaller.

If they did, the only thing they have is that they have Android and WP8. If you don't mind iOS, I think the iPhone is the absolute perfect phone for the market it holds.

I just want Samsung to make a phone that feels as strong, and good as the iPhone.

Although I do love my S3, it's an amazing phone, I'm also aware that with how fast android updates, changes and grows, I can see the next Super Smart Android phone toppling the S3 just as quick.

in specs, yes. In sales, no. The HTC J butterfly, and DLX will both trump the GS3 is specs, but no where close to the same amount of sales.