texas barcodes swapped legos crook of the week

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 joep1984

joep1984

Neowinian

• 176 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 22:16

Alot of people got away with that when i worked at a walmart. Walmart has a strict policy not to stop shoplifters unless you're a high up member of management, but even they are limited as to what they can do. I known of a few that got fired for running after and stopping people.

I can vouch that this is the same in most retail stores. I work at Kmart (I'm not exactly happy about it, but a job's a job until February and basic training), and we can't even say anything if we see someone taking something they didn't pay for. Unless security is actively watching them, there isn't a single thing we can do.

Oh sure, we can go up to someone security points out and ask if they need help, but we can't say "Hey, put that back."

I saw a kid (probably 7 or 8) take a video game out of the cheap bin up front and put it in his coat. I said "Can you take the game out of your coat and put it back please?" That's the only time I broke that rule, because kids need to know we're watching them do stupid stuff.

tl;dr retail wage-slaves have no power to stop, chase, basically even look at shoplifters.

#17 freedonX

freedonX

Neowinian

• 146 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 23:02

Weird politics, can I ask why that's the policy?

Is it because you aren't 100% certain someone took something and if you do a mistake, the customer might back fire with a lawsuit?

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:00

From what you guys are saying he would have come out better just to have walked out with the TV.

#19 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,997 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:15

I thought Wal-Mart went thru a special rigamarole when you buy a TV -- that's what I experienced.

#20 ninja502

ninja502

Neowinian

• 159 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:17

William Keltner is accused of swapping barcodes on a TV at Walmart. He allegedly tried to buy the device for $2.

A 52-year-old man was arrested at an Abilene, Texas, Walmart after he allegedly swapped barcodes on a television and tried to buy the device for about $2.

William Keltner allegedly removed a barcode tag from a hanger worth only $1.17 and placed it on the $228 television. According to KTXS, Kelter was detained in an office until police arrived.

Keltner is charged with state-jail felony theft, destruction of evidence, and misdemeanor destruction of writing. His theft charge was enhanced due to prior theft convictions.

The Houston Press compared the foiled scheme to one of the "cunning plans" from the BBC Comedy "Blackadder," but strangely this isn't the first time someone has been accused of swapping barcodes to get a lower price on an item.

Earlier this year, a Silicon Valley executive was charged with four felony counts of burglary for allegedly affixing false barcodes to packages of LEGOs in area Target stores.

NBC Bay Area reported that the executive, Thomas Langenbach, was formally charged with switching tickets on seven boxes of LEGOs worth about $1,000 total, although police said he had sold 2,100 pilfered LEGO sets on eBay, garnering $30,000 in profit.

source

when did the price of a lego set jump to $142 each ? I haven't seen a lego set that high ever but after looking on target web site they got sets over $200 and close to $400.

#21 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:22

Somehow I doubt he was stupid enough to think he could get away with it. If the guy is homeless, it would seem more like an obvious attempt to get arrested considering winter is near.

this

Somehow I doubt he was stupid enough to think he could get away with it. If the guy is homeless, it would seem more like an obvious attempt to get arrested considering winter is near.

this

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:25

I thought Wal-Mart went thru a special rigamarole when you buy a TV -- that's what I experienced.

Everyone gives you a hard time.

#23 aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

• 994 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:34

How did Walmart detain him? In my state they aren't allowed to do crap but call the police as you walk out the door.

#24 Michael Churma III

Michael Churma III

Neowinian

• 47 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:38

Three words.... People of Walmart :laugh:

#25 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,954 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:43

Surely this is just "attempted theft" ?

#26 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,710 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:30

He over did it. Maybe should of got a 100$ tag instead.

He over did it. Maybe should of got a 100$ tag instead.

#27 jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax

A custom title? Cool!

• 7,602 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599N

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:31

Is it because you aren't 100% certain someone took something and if you do a mistake, the customer might back fire with a lawsuit?

Yup! That and the grunts (employees) might hurt the person or the shoplifter might pull a weapon, etc. So in theory the idea of not pursuing works...

#28 grabageek

grabageek

Neowinian

• 132 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:57

I think you just hit the nail on the head there.

#29 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 14:00

If that was the case why go through all that trouble? Just pick up something and walk out the door with it.

Walmart policy is just to let people go in cases like that, then rely on the police to apprehend a suspect based on security camera footage, etc. When someone tries a scam at the register though, they will usually get AP (Asset Protection) people involved, who do have the authority to detain a person.

Yeah, pretty much. Management and AP are the only people in the store with the authority to detain a suspect.

How did Walmart detain him? In my state they aren't allowed to do crap but call the police as you walk out the door.

Depends on the state. As I said above, in my state, management and AP can detain people. The person working the register probably called one of them.

when did the price of a lego set jump to $142 each ? I haven't seen a lego set that high ever but after looking on target web site they got sets over $200 and close to $400.

Yep, when you have some sets (such as the large Star Wars sets) with several THOUSAND pieces (not to mention licensing costs), they can get really high. The Millennium Falcon and Taj Mahal (among others) both have over 10,000 pieces. http://www.brickset....rickLists/?3246