Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Even gamers can land a seat in the Senate.

The Bangor Daily News reports that Democrat Colleen Lachowicz has secured her seat in District 25 of the Maine State Senate on Tuesday after receiving support from gamers around the world. She defeated one-term Republican Sen. Thomas Martin of Benton who brought international attention to their fight for Senate District 25 by criticizing her involvement with Blizzard's hugely popular MMORPG, World of Warcraft.

According to the paper, the Maine Republican Party launched a website called "Colleen's World" which introduced potential voters to her World of Warcraft avatar, an Orc Rogue called Santiaga. The site offered links to her official World of Warcraft profile, and comments made on the Daily Kos website. There was also a link to a study that claimed the average World of Warcraft player is 28, and spends 22.7 hours wandering the virtual realm.

"So I

Posted

Lachowicz, a level 85 Orc Rogue, defeated her real-life Republican enemy by more than 500 votes on Tuesday. Currently it's unknown how many experience points she received from her victory, or what kind of loot the defeated former Senator dropped in District 25.

:rofl: Brilliant!

Typical that one political group would try to use this to shame someone, it really does make me sick.

Posted

:rofl: Brilliant!

Typical that one political group would try to use this to shame someone, it really does make me sick.

I think its funny that it backfired and they ended up gaining her support :)

Posted

I think we'll see the internet playing a larger role in our political process as time goes on. I'm waiting for the day when I can vote online.