Microsoft's Big Hidden Windows 8 Feature: Built-In Advertising

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 LIBER000

LIBER000

Neowinian

• 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:19

Wow way to go MS! I thought I might keep windows but with Steam moving to Linux I guess I am done now with MS since they have to advertise now inside their already crappy OS. I mean the touch interface was already enough but now you have to watch ads in a peice of software you already bought? I think not MS!

#17 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:26

Wow way to go MS! I thought I might keep windows but with Steam moving to Linux I guess I am done now with MS since they have to advertise now inside their already crappy OS. I mean the touch interface was already enough but now you have to watch ads in a peice of software you already bought? I think not MS!

I'm amazed that you were able to cram that much mis-information into one posting.

#18 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,462 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:30

I've said it about Android and I'll say the same for Microsoft. If developers wish to support their software with advertising that's their choice. Anyone that bothered should just use an adblocking solution.

Is there a way to turn this off or circumvent this? I mean besides adblockers. I haven't personally seen this myself, however, it's nice to know about these things and how to get around it

#19 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,872 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:40

I've said it about Android and I'll say the same for Microsoft. If developers wish to support their software with advertising that's their choice. Anyone that bothered should just use an adblocking solution.

Windows costs money, users shouldn't be subjected to adds when they've already paid for the software. If the software is free, then I have no problem with it being add supported, but windows is not free.

#20 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• 3,501 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:40

Microsoft wants to attach their rail car to the money train that is iOS and Android, and having little success with Windows Phone, Windows 8 is their desperate attempt to capture a large portion of that market. Advertising, tracking, data mining, keeping 30% of developer profits, lots of cash to be made here.

#21 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,300 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 19:53

But the app is free, so what is your point?
You pay for the windows OS not the pre-install app. You can switch to the paid one, so you don't see the ads anymore.

Windows costs money, users shouldn't be subjected to adds when they've already paid for the software. If the software is free, then I have no problem with it being add supported, but windows is not free.

#22 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 2,103 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 08 November 2012 - 20:03

I have no issue with the ads in some of the apps, since they are just added at the end of the screen, so you don't even see them if you never scroll all the way to the right (like in weather).
The mandatory ads you have to look at when playing the daily challenges in Minesweeper on the other hand I do have an issue with. They are 30sec long video's you can't skip. And they appear after every 3 or 4 games you play

#23 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• 5,689 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 20:08

Ads suck in general. They're annoying, distracting and destroy every bit of consistency wherever they are located. I don't want to see single one of them, I don't care of the shyte that is being advertised, I'll make my own informed choices, thank you very much.
What happened to free trials? Warez? Ok, I can see that being a fair bit of a problem. However, ad blocking does lead to practically the same outcome, with addition of some p*ssed off people like OP here, and me, too.
Also means that developer has little confidence in the product, and with good reason, too, - frankly, five nines of app store, be it Windows, Play or Apple, is total shyte.

#24 ndoggfromhell

ndoggfromhell

Master of the 6th Speed

• 589 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 20:35

My firewall is set to block all Webads in the filtering settings... I honestly never noticed these.

#25 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,972 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 08 November 2012 - 20:55

it is news to me, just another reason why i don't want to upgrade from win7.

News to you? You've been one of the most vocal critics of Windows 8 over the past few months. Are we to believe you've just "missed" all the previous forum topics and news articles about ads in the free apps that come pre-installed on Windows 8?

<facepalm>

I'll make the important bits bold and underline so you people pay attention to them.

There are no ads in Windows 8. The ads are in the FREE apps that Microsoft bundle with the OS. The apps that you can remove from your start screen and replace with others if you see fit. The only difference between these apps, and Windows Live Essentials style apps is that Microsoft bundled these with the OS installer for the convenience of the users.

Regarding the ads in Xbox Music... that is expected and normal. All streaming music services have ads in their free verson, spotify included. They couldn't afford to operate otherwise. Some have reported the ads play even when listening to your own local media files though, which I suspect is just a bug.

#26 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• 5,689 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 21:04

There are no ads in Windows 8. The ads are in the FREE apps that Microsoft bundle with the OS. The apps that you can remove from your start screen and replace with others if you see fit.

Well, why there haven't been (and aren't, I'd say) ads in Paint, Notepad and Calculator (Sound Recorder, WordPad, Disk Cleanup, Magnifier - you name it - Windows is loaded with basic functionality) then? Where's the difference? They're all free apps Microsoft bundles with the OS. I can remove them from Windows Features and replace with whatever other notepads and calculators are there; bound to be a sh*tload of them.

#27 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,972 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 08 November 2012 - 21:17

Well, why there haven't been (and aren't, I'd say) ads in Paint, Notepad and Calculator (Sound Recorder, WordPad, Disk Cleanup, Magnifier - you name it - Windows is loaded with basic functionality) then? Where's the difference? They're all free apps Microsoft bundles with the OS. I can remove them from Windows Features and replace with whatever other notepads and calculators are there; bound to be a sh*tload of them.

Because those apps are part of windows. Tell me, what happens when you click Help > About (well, File > About now it's got the ribbon) in paint? I'll tell you... it comes up with a version info box for Windows 8... because they're part of the OS. The metro apps are merely pre-installed store apps, entirely separate from Windows and just pre-installed for convenience. The main reason being that they can be updated through the app update mechanism without requiring an windows update based OS patch.

#28 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,364 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 21:29

I'll pass your feedback on to Microsoft so they can make sure that there are ads in these in Windows 9, for consistency sake.

#29 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,354 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 21:36

free apps with ads?? just like iphone apps that have ads? just like android apps that have ads? OMG Microsoft is the devil #MSbashingfail

#30 aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

• 994 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 21:37

weird I never noticed them when using the betas.