Getting used to the Windows 8 system

I am older now, maybe not necessarily wiser but, I like moving my mouse to the upper left corner and going to the Bing search, the one that takes up the entire screen but I love how it lays out all the news right there in front of me by search topic. I'm still finding new things out about this OS but it's working for me.

I'm set in my ways but it seems to me that this os is quite intuitive and the two interfaces ( Modern UI and Desktop) are nice. I did however buy and install Stardocks Start8 app that puts a start menu on my desktop. Still works for me over all but Windows 8 or this windows in particular is setup just as I like it.

Good man. I mean that's the good thing about Windows. You can generally find third party apps that'll modify things to do exactly what you want.

I'm enjoying it to. I'm going vanilla with the start screen but choices are what makes a good OS.

I am older now, maybe not necessarily wiser but, I like moving my mouse to the upper left corner and going to the Bing search, the one that takes up the entire screen but I love how it lays out all the news right there in front of me by search topic. I'm still finding new things out about this OS but it's working for me.

I'm set in my ways but it seems to me that this os is quite intuitive and the two interfaces ( Modern UI and Desktop) are nice. I did however buy and install Stardocks Start8 app that puts a start menu on my desktop. Still works for me over all but Windows 8 or this windows in particular is setup just as I like it.

Unlike a lot of folks, I never found the lack of Start menu a deal-breaker, largely for the simple reason that I had begun migrating away from relying on it with Windows 7.

What helps is that basically, other than that (and the presence of the StartScreen), Windows 8 *is* Windows 7 + tweaks and improvements - said tweaks and improvements are, in fact, nice to monstrous.

Nice - QuickTask power user's menu, the addition of the ribbon to File Explorer (along with separate Command and PowerShell prompts, each with elevation options).

Huge - Task Manager improvements (and a finer-grained Process Manager for us x64 process inspectors, programmers/developers, and debuggers/bug hunters) along with disc-image mounting as part of the OS core.

Monstrous - Windows Defender (due to full commonality between WD, MSE, and Forefront, third-party AV is moot) and Disk Optimizer (the Diskeeper killer; includes features that even Diskeeper 12 lacks, and it's part of the OS).

The only third-party utility I am using is Decor8 from Stardock. (Still waiting for a version of Fences for the StartScreen.)

I honestly thought I couldn't live without the start menu, but when I installed 8 I decided to give the start screen a good try. I have to admit I love it. Now I wish they had done this a long time ago. I also thought I would never like live tiles, but now I am seriously considering a Windows 8 phone.They really grow on you.

It's nice to see that some of you guys are giving Win8 a second shot and actually are starting to like it!

With or without Start8, whatever works for you

I just installed (upgraded) it yesterday from Win7 Ultimate to Win8 Pro, and so far it seems to be a pretty decent OS. I do miss the 'Recent Items' on the start menu I had in Win7, but everything else is working just fine.

Unlike a lot of folks, I never found the lack of Start menu a deal-breaker, largely for the simple reason that I had begun migrating away from relying on it with Windows 7.

Lack of? Just move your mouse to the bottom left corner and left click.. viola, Start menu.

Lack of? Just move your mouse to the bottom left corner and left click.. viola, Start menu.

I got that much - I was referring to all the angst and nerdrage from the anti-8 crowd (which I was never part of - I moved to 8 full-time back with the Consumer Preview, and I'm running RTM 8 Pro with Media Center today).

Windows 8 has made a mess of Bluetooth -- my Big Jambox is now a $300 paperweight.

maybe you should bitch at the maker of your Big Jambox Bluetooth and get them to update the drivers for Windows 8. Microsoft do a very good job with including as many drivers as they do with each release of Windows

and its not there problem if they did not include something you need.

So at the end of the day, Windows 8 did not make a mess of your Bluetooth, you need to get on the company that does your Bluetooth for updated drivers.

I just installed (upgraded) it yesterday from Win7 Ultimate to Win8 Pro, and so far it seems to be a pretty decent OS. I do miss the 'Recent Items' on the start menu I had in Win7, but everything else is working just fine.

For recent items open file manager "C:\Users\"your user name"\Recent" then just make a shortcut to your desktop.

For recent items open file manager "C:\Users\"your user name"\Recent" then just make a shortcut to your desktop.

Yep, I've seen that work-around posted before. Instead I just pinned Word and Excel to my task bar and I use the jump lists to get to the recent documents that way. Still not as convenient as the recent items list on the start menu, but it works.