Man takes pregnancy test, finds out he has cancer

Everyone knows what pregnancy tests are used for, but you may not know that they can also detect another delicate condition ? testicular cancer in men.

The science of testicular cancer and pregnancy hormones is making the national news this week thanks to a Reddit post in which a man makes fun of his buddy for using an ex-girlfriend?s leftover pregnancy test. The test came back positive. :huh:

The post received thousands of comments, many of them urging the poster to get tested for testicular cancer. It turns out that beta human chorionic gonadotropin, the hormone detected by pregnancy tests in pregnant women, can also signal some types of testicular cancer, oncologist Dr. Mark Pomerantz told Good Morning America.

A second Reddit post by the same user claims that the man who took the pregnancy test, who is never named, did have a small testicular tumor. ?Since it was caught early, it can be treated immediately,? the post states.

Dr. Christopher Wood of the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston told Good Morning America that he recommends all men conduct monthly self-exams to detect testicular cancer by feeling for lumps, as the cancer has a high survival rate and normally first presents itself as a painless lump.

source

They need to develop a universal cancer test kit. I'd take one every 3 months.

Early detection is, sadly, still the best weapon we have.

Lies! Russell Crowe is our best weapon.

• Like 1

They need to develop a universal cancer test kit. I'd take one every 3 months.

Early detection is, sadly, still the best weapon we have.

This.

I'm sick of hearing apparently every week whatelse I can die of...

Not that I don't care, it just seems like humans are like very poorly made chains and the pieces are made of thin metal, so every little hole in the chain can make it break easily in "the right moment".

There's so much I'm supposed to test, avoid, take, not take, then again there's a revision on what is good and bad, the revision on the revision, also, half of your favorite food puts you at higher risk of cancer. The other half you just don't know of yet.

It's what often feels like I must be at 34428% risk of cancer, practically, I should actually have been born with it right.

I hate cancer with a passion just like the next guy, what I almost almost hate just as much is this whole (actually not wrong) paranoia about what all I can die of.

It's frustrating and you feel so bad thinking that you have a certain amount of friends and hearing your parents' stories or your grandparents', they can tell you about lots of their friends getting ill of some horrible stuff.

That's when you start thinking what would happen if you actually learned your best friend, who's always been on your side suddenly gets ill.

Sorry for the drama guys, I just felt like sharing, as I'm feeling miserable these days. :/

Glassed Silver:mac